Cedar Point Announces Valravn - Dive Coaster for 2016 - 10 World Records!

CPfan1976 said:

thedevariouseffect said:

• Surprised nothing else for new for 2016 announced. Will there be no side projects this season? Other than a new Marine gate, surprised nothing else is getting moved or refurbed and branded "new" considering how it's been the past few years.

I think we'll see some other minor stuff here and there....on that note, I'm calling "dibs" on the Pan statue by the current Marina gate along with one of those lamp posts. It would look interesting in my yard (haha). Seriously though, sad to see that stuff go, but the new plaza does open the area up a little more.

Keep in mind that some of the changes on the future site of Valravn may not have even been intended to occur last season at all. They already moved Calypso, Dodgems, and mini Dodgems, and removed Turnpike Cars, Sir Rub-a-Dub's Tubs, and Good Time Theatre to make room. There will likely be other little things throughout the park such as a new Marina Gate (hopefully nothing breaks under those brakes.. sorry, I had to).

Pete said:

We-o-we-oooo said:

The lack of any sort of thematic or special track elements is profoundly disappointing, especially in light of the present administration’s stated desire and demonstrated ability to include such additions in their recent projects.

I’m sure it will be an exciting ride and I’m sure I will enjoy the first few rides. After that, what about it makes it different than anything else at the park?

So walking or riding past the same theming 50 times would still make the theming fresh, new and interesting? In my opinion themed coasters only work if they are slower and lower to the ground family rides. Big coasters such as Valravn don't work well with theming because of the height and speed. What would you theme being over 200 feet up? What would you see zooming past at 75mph? Big coasters are all about the sensations experienced during the ride, and that is something that can be enjoyed over and over. I think the coaster and midway look great and they did an excellent job.

Pete wins the theme-VS-No Theme War! Man that is the best answer ever!

I am glad to "see" that Cadillac Cars are still there...at least possibly there. I know the Rendering is not set in stone. I have to say Valravin will be quite intimidating enough without being any taller! I hope they have a nice sitting area to for the people watchers!

Ahhhhh C.P. My Happy Place!

Disappointing? Nah... Knock me off my seat excited....nah...why? Because we all pretty much knew this was what was coming!! Now it's FINALLY official.

I just don't get the virtual app thingy.....anyone help me out?

Cedar Point hit another grand slam in my book. Glad it's finally official and we can see another masterpiece come to life....

2016 can't get here fast enough!

Some randoms thoughts. As we all know this is a rendering and things will change between now and opening day. Other things not included (to my knowledge) in these renderings are:

1. Ride exit. I see a path which I assume is the exit but I do not see a gift shop/photo stand? Will it be included in the station design similar to Gatekeeper and Banshee or stand alone like MF?
  2. Lockers. I'm assuming this will be another "no loose articles" ride. So where will the lockers be?
  3. Plinko? OMG will this ride have a PLINKO? ;)

But in all seriousness these are little things that come with the rides that aren't with the renderings. So who knows. Maybe the first drop will have something more for guest interaction that just isnt announced or will be an opening day "surprise."

Also, I see them setting up this new midway for an expansion in the near future. Maybe that new flat ride Canada's Wonderland is adding this season? Maybe a new dark ride or lemon chill stand?

I guess now we all need to sit back and calmly wait for Winter Chill Out and see if Point has any surprises in strore for us.

Wow the paint job looks JUST like Rougarou! If you look at the rides from a distance in the renderings, you'd think the two were connected somehow....hopefully once it's built, the colors appear different from rou's color scheme.

i'm totally stoked to ride this! I don't care if it's not an original layout, this will still be a fantastic coaster.

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

WolfBobs said:

• Ride exit. I see a path which I assume is the exit but I do not see a gift shop/photo stand? Will it be included in the station design similar to Gatekeeper and Banshee or stand alone like MF?
    • If recent trends have any merit, there will be a gift shop and it will be at the bottom of the stairs outside/beneath the station. See also: GateKeeper, Banshee, Fury 325
  • Lockers. I'm assuming this will be another "no loose articles" ride. So where will the lockers be?
    • Yep, another recent trend. It really helps to speed up the line, something Cedar Fair loves on a popular new ride. The lockers will be somewhere next to/across from the ride entrance in the entrance plaza for convenience.
  • Plinko? OMG will this ride have a PLINKO? ;)
    • Of course.. Gotta get more money into the games account somehow. :)

Miss_Maverick07 said:

Wow the paint job looks JUST like Rougarou!

I think they did this on purpose and let me explain my theory. I have seen a couple billboards, one on route 2 that says, Our first Floorless roller-coaster. That said, they wanted to stick to the mythology they're going with and introduce their second Floorless roller-coaster which meant stick to the color scheme too. That's just my thinking.

Rougarou's orange. Valravn is like a copper color.

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

Ride looks great! Sure the BS midway will look great.

Wonder what will happen to the pirate ride building? New shop, restaurant, etc.?

It's weird but I'm already liking the look of the station. I know its an early render and itll probably change. But I will be pleased with it if what we see in the renders becomes the final product.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

CoasterGuy15 said:

It also appears that raptor looks repainted. Is this true?

I hope so. That ride really needs a repaint. I think with a new coaster going in right next to it, they would repaint it.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Wow... Just dawned on me that this is ACTUALLY happening. If they didn't already, Cedar Point is going to have one hell of a skyline. Of course they did already, but this will just seal the deal.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

I find all the dissent and whining genuinely amusing.

I asked both Decker and McClure if the station would see any theming like Banshee (Kings Island).

They didn't really answer definiteively about the station (not that I expected them to), but McClure said (paraphrasing) "that process is literally just now beginning"; he explained that what he meant is that the rendering is more or less what the station will look like, but they may "add on" some themed elements (think; decorations) as the process continues.

Essentially, the takeaway is that at this moment in time, I don't think that they even know for sure what may or not be added in terms of themed decor around the ride, as the process of having those discussions literally just started.

Oh...and they confirmed that there would be no splash down or tunnel...for for those of you holding out hope, well...sorry. I asked, and they said "no".

So, no.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

First off big thanks to Walt, Jeff, and Tony for the invite today. I may be biased because I was there, but I think this will be a fantastic addition to the park. Having never seen a dive coaster is was truly amazing to see the track up close, and to see just how wide the track really is.

While a bit cheesy, I found the VR app entertaining. At some points it really messes with you, and you really think you're on a moving coaster. The "social" vending machine is pure marketing genius, as well as having a preview center to try out the VR.

Probably my favorite thing from today was seeing the staff there (Rob, Matt, Jason, Tony, etc) and how approachable they were to ask questions. As others have mentioned you could see the true passion they all have for this project.

Some other tidbits. In talking with Rob he mentioned that along with the Marina entrance being revamped, the Blue Streak midway will be connected to the marina entrance. He also mentioned that area (BS midway) being updated/cleaned up some, due to it no longer being a dead end. All in all a great event, and the approachability of the staff made this definitely worth the 3 hour drive there and back.

Some pictures from today...

This is the "social" vending machine, which has you follow @cedarpoint, then tweet a message containing certain hashtags. The machine then spits out a coupon, see the following picture for prizes.

The construction site.

Finally, who doesn't like Valravyn cookies?

Looks like Cedars will be around next year according to the renderings...

I'm more curious to see how the expansion into where Cedars is located will work. They put Valravn right in the middle of that space.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Thabto said:

CoasterGuy15 said:

It also appears that raptor looks repainted. Is this true?

I hope so. That ride really needs a repaint. I think with a new coaster going in right next to it, they would repaint it.

Doesn't CP usually take 2 years with the bigger rides? Chances are the first hill will be painted and then the rest of the coaster the next season.

They need to paint Dragster while they're at it. That ride hasn't been painted in 12 years!

this is just a rendering. Do you think that they would show a badly-in-need-of-paint raptor in it?

I hope the station has the cobblestone that's shown in the rendering

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service