Cedar Point Announces Valravn - Dive Coaster for 2016 - 10 World Records!

This is going to open up a nice view from the opposite side of Raptor and connect over nicely. It's growing on me quickly.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

Additional 2016 additions or enhancements will more then likely leak out slowly during the off season. Or they will have a secondary 2016 annoucement at Winter Chill Out like in this past off season.

Cedar Point is doing a great job marketing this ride from day 1. I've lost count of my non-enthusiasts social media friends who are tagging each other excited over this ride. Being unique to this market this ride will be huge for Point.

Put me down too as a person in the camp that is hoping the final product has a tunnel on the first drop, or maybe even a platform built over it extending from the midway (i.e. snake river falls). It could be a great photo spot and some truly unique visuals for non-riders as well as some head choppers for those on the ride. But if it doesn't happen I won't be heart broken.

We-o-we-oooo said:

Dick Kinzel called; he wants his 'the only thing that matters is that its big' attitude back. I said quite clearly that I'm sure I will enjoy it the first few times, but that it is lacking anything unique or interesting to make people want to ride it again. The general public understands this too, if not always consciously; saying that non enthusiasts cant understand that Valravn, TTD, Power Tower and WT all go straight up and down is rather ridiculous.

Are you trying to suggest that because the park already has rides that travel straight up and down that building a dive coaster is somehow an illogical choice as something to place in the park's lineup?

Promoter of fog.

We-o-we-oooo said:

The lack of any sort of thematic or special track elements is profoundly disappointing, especially in light of the present administration’s stated desire and demonstrated ability to include such additions in their recent projects.

I’m sure it will be an exciting ride and I’m sure I will enjoy the first few rides. After that, what about it makes it different than anything else at the park?

So walking or riding past the same theming 50 times would still make the theming fresh, new and interesting? In my opinion themed coasters only work if they are slower and lower to the ground family rides. Big coasters such as Valravn don't work well with theming because of the height and speed. What would you theme being over 200 feet up? What would you see zooming past at 75mph? Big coasters are all about the sensations experienced during the ride, and that is something that can be enjoyed over and over. I think the coaster and midway look great and they did an excellent job.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Kevinj said:

We-o-we-oooo said:

Dick Kinzel called; he wants his 'the only thing that matters is that its big' attitude back. I said quite clearly that I'm sure I will enjoy it the first few times, but that it is lacking anything unique or interesting to make people want to ride it again. The general public understands this too, if not always consciously; saying that non enthusiasts cant understand that Valravn, TTD, Power Tower and WT all go straight up and down is rather ridiculous.

Are you trying to suggest that because the park already has rides that travel straight up and down that building a dive coaster is somehow an illogical choice as something to place in the park's lineup?

If that is the logic I guess Point should never install a coaster with a lift hill, or a launch. Inversions and airtime are also no go's as we have some of that in the park too. Also cancel flat rides that spin or water rides that get you wet... Hmm... Larson Loop 2017?

I haven't seen it in print... How many trains?

The general public will eat this up. Heck this news was trending on Facebook above Apple's announcement. Smart play with limited land available.

Having ridden both Griffon and Sheikra, I will say a 'splashdown' element adds absolutely nothing to the ride. Fantastic to watch, but I'd rather have that airtime hill at the end of the ride. Which brings me to my next point: in my opinion both Griffon and Sheikra are underwhelming after the dive and that first inversion. The main reason for this is the rate at which these coasters burn off speed. Valravn will have the loss of speed I'm sure, but if it takes that airtime hill with the speed shown in the off-ride rendering it'll be a satisfying conclusion to the ride.

Overall these coasters are massive and striking; it'll look good in the CP skyline and the general public is going to be thrilled/terrified. To seasoned coaster enthusiasts like ourselves this will lose some luster and we will still prefer MF, Maverick, the launch on Dragster, and the airtime on Magnum. But every now and then even the hardest of haters will venture back to Valravn, sit on one of those end seats, and enjoy falling face-first towards the ground.

Last edited by italianstallion,

We-o-we-oooo said:

I said quite clearly that I'm sure I will enjoy it the first few times...

How big of you to allow it may be enjoyable a few times. On what basis does a coaster go from being enjoyable to being unenjoyable based on the number of rides taken?

...but that it is lacking anything unique

Aside from being one of only three such coasters in the country, with the other two being far outside of the park's market.

...or interesting...

Aside from stopping at the top of the lift before dropping straight down, then entering a huge inversion.

...to make people want to ride it again.

Frankly, I'm more comfortable assuming the company has researched the potential re-ride ability of the coaster than going with the opinion an enthusiast who has formed an opinion based on two minutes of CGI video.

The general public understands this too, if not always consciously...

Really? Is this conclusion based on extensive conversations with the unconscious brains of the general public?

...saying that non enthusiasts [sic] cant [sic] understand that Valravn, TTD, Power Tower and WT all go straight up and down is rather ridiculous.

The only one saying that non-enthusiasts can't understand that is you. Of the three rides on that list that I've ridden (the fourth, you know, not actually being in existence at the moment), I'd say they're each different and enjoyable experiences.

And complaining that those four rides "all go straight up and down" is like complaining that Tilt-A-Whirl, Matterhorn and Super Himalaya all go around in circles. So what?

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

If the goal is to create a full lineup of different types of rides experiences for different age groups (one that has been stated by management), then yes, adding something that is very similar to existing attractions does not pass as logical. The expanded point is that this ride has only one element to it; the vertical drops. If it had lots of other experiences it would be unique in its own right, but it doesn't. Its principal (and arguably only) attraction is something that can be replicated in near exact fashion on other rides.

Regardless, the standard dissension from my viewpoint seems to be that all those other elements are unnecessary because its "SOOOO big like ZOMG". Thats a reversion to the previous regime's thinking that all you need to be the best is to have the biggest; I thought we had evolved beyond that.

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Good thing all those rides with vertical drops are vastly different then.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

There's nothing wrong with people saying they don't like something about the new ride. Or that they wish it had something else. This topic would fizzle out by tomorrow night if all everyone said was they loved everything about it.

That said, the fact that the ride looks like it's plopped down on an empty field of grass is extremely underwhelming. And I'm calling it right now, the beautiful, big tree lined midway inside of the marina gate that has been largely untouched for the better part of a century is going to be bulldozed and Cedar Fair-ized. Replaced with concrete and shrubs.

Pete, take one look at Alpengeist to see how a big, nearly 200-foot, high-speed coaster can be themed effectively and relatively inexpensively.

Looks fun though. In terms of the actual coaster, the best of the DMs.

This new area just opens up many other opportunities. Blue Streak getting a new entrance is a major possibility (at least it's on my wish list). The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is Cedars still standing in these renderings :/

We-o-we-oooo said:

If the goal is to create a full lineup of different types of rides experiences for different age groups (one that has been stated by management), then yes, adding something that is very similar to existing attractions does not pass as logical. The expanded point is that this ride has only one element to it; the vertical drops. If it had lots of other experiences it would be unique in its own right, but it doesn't. Its principal (and arguably only) attraction is something that can be replicated in near exact fashion on other rides.

Regardless, the standard dissension from my viewpoint seems to be that all those other elements are unnecessary because its "SOOOO big like ZOMG". Thats a reversion to the previous regime's thinking that all you need to be the best is to have the biggest; I thought we had evolved beyond that.

The ride experience this is most similar to is Power Tower. On Dragster you, or at least I personally, don't have time to comprehend the fact that I'm dropping vertically down to earth. Most of the time I get out at the station and can't even remember being at the top of the hill. Wicked Twister you only get the full freefall if you're in the back (front) of the train, and once again your mind doesn't have time to register where you are, how high you are, or what's about to happen. On Power Tower you're slowly brought up, all the while anticipation building. You stop, heart racing, and then you're dropped. In my opinion that's the only ride experience one can compare Valravn to. Only this time you're looking face first at the ground, rather than at some point far off in the distance.

TLDR; The general public is going to have no idea there's other similar experiences in the park.

New coasters back to back years. Nice!

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

I agree about Cedars. I was hoping that eyesore would finally be gone. But this is just a rendering. They could very well begin building new employee housing this off-season.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

We-o-we-oooo said:

....adding something that is very similar to existing attractions does not pass as logical.

Are you sitting down? I hope so. This is going to come as a shock.

Roller coasters are pretty much all the same. Riders are mechanically moved to a high point, gravity does the rest.

The expanded point is that this ride has only one element to it; the vertical drops.

And? Between the company that has decided to spend millions and millions of dollars adding this ride to one of their parks, and an enthusiast who has formed an opinion based on exactly zero experience riding the ride and two minutes of CGI video, I'm going to go with the company, which has skin in the game.

So it has "only" one element you find interesting. Fine. What I like to say about Top Thrill Dragster is: it's a one trick pony, but it has one hell of a trick.

If it had lots of other experiences it would be unique in its own right, but it doesn't.

It doesn't need to be "unique in its own right", it just needs to be unique in the park's market.

Its principal (and arguably only) attraction is something that can be replicated in near exact fashion on other rides.

Sure. Let's have a park that has one roller coaster, one flat ride and one merry go round. Why waste time, space and money on replicating those experiences with other rides?

I thought we had evolved beyond that.

"We" don't evolve beyond anything. "We" decide, each year, if what Cedar Point has on offer is worth the price of admission. If it is, we go enjoy ourselves. If it isn't, we find somewhere else to spend our discretionary entertainment dollars.

First off Valravn looks great. I'm really impressed with both the ride and the new Blue Streak midway connection/extension. This ride is going to be one that really interacts with bystanders. I'm hoping the queue gets some shade which I'm pretty sure it will. Cedar Point is really appealing to the coaster geeks with this one. The new renovated Marina entrance which is commonly used by enthusiasts will now be totally redone and given a Deckeration. This ride will be awesome for both riders and non riders and I can't wait to enjoy the world's best dive coaster.

Second, this VR app is really awesome. I recommend sitting in a swivel chair and spending a little to get Google cardboard. This really allows you to get a sense of the scale of this monster, plus it looks realllllly good.

New for 2018... RMC Iron Horse!!!

It seems like Noggin is only a few responses away from invoking Goodwin's law, so since I'm clearly unable to articulate my point, I'm going to push back from the table and head to the bar.

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Nope, wasn't going anywhere near Hitler. Just trying to understand how a coaster that doesn't currently exist could be found so wanting.

The newly renovated Marina entrance looks awesome.Does anyone share the concern about traffic at that entrance especially in the first year or two. I would anticipate the number of people entering the park through that gate will increase ten-fold. Perimeter road is the only way to the back of the park and has very heavy traffic on most days.

I would anticipate many more cars dropping off people at that entrance as well as people walking from the main parking lot to enter there creating a potential safety concern. It looks like they have added a sidewalk along the road to accommodate walkers but no other entrances have vehicle traffic anywhere near them.

Any thoughts?

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service