BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

Skippy said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that the early announcement of Mantis' closure was a courtesy the park was affording fans of the ride to say farewell. The park understands that some fans feel burned about how they've handled the closure of coasters in the past (especially WildCat) and has made their fans a priority this time around.

Don't worry, I'm sure their real 2015 announcements will feature more spectacle. Whether or not they live up to the unrealistic expectations that some fans on here have set, I can't say.

Indeed, there is zero marketing value and thus no profit in NOT announcing it. Panic the fans, get them out to ride one last time as the ride currently exists.

Anybody see that pic of the Hotel Breakers renovation for 2015? The whole entrance to the naked eye, looks to not be possible unless the dormitory is removed? Maybe the pic is deceiving and not 100% accurate but just looks like the dorms are gonna be in the way? That eyesore needs to be relocated off the peninsula and ASAP! Definitely would compliment the 2015 finished product well if they were to be removed!

Last edited by WishfulThinker83,

Breakers and Cedars are on opposite sides of the peninsula.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Im really hoping the new ride is made by the manufacturing company - Intamin to build the new ride because they have built the 3 most successful rides in the park Millennium, Maverick, and Top Thrill im hoping for a thrill like that soon if you look at this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Point it clearly tells you who made the rides and that company made great rides!

Maverick - "The West Was Never This Wild"

Intamin does make great rides, but look at the reliability. I think there's some bad blood between CF and Intamin now since they haven't made any deals in a while.

Brian

Thabto said:
Intamin does make great rides, but look at the reliability. I think there's some bad blood between CF and Intamin now since they haven't made any deals in a while.

I keep hearing from different people that Intamin rides have issues and B&Ms are reliable. I know that Top Thrill Dragster is often shut down, but do their other coasters have issues as well? And if they do, how does the frequency compare with the rides from other manufacturers? Is there data which shows breakdown occurrences per number of rides given?

The first time we were at CP this summer Gatekeeper was closed and they had to bring a crane in to fix it. The second time we were there Mantis had a train stuck on the lift hill.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything...I seriously want to know if reliability is a real problem with Intamin. Thanks.

Last edited by jsmith7300,

Roller Coaster Tycoon just happened in real life at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Colossus caught on fire and part of it collapsed. I wonder what that means for their Twisted Colossus plans?

^probably just means that construction is set back

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Wow the part that's collapsing is the lift hill! Wonder how this will all pan out?

Well that will set construction back. I don't recall my rides cat him on fire in roller coaster tycoon though. lol

jsmith7300 said:

I keep hearing from different people that Intamin rides have issues and B&Ms are reliable. I know that Top Thrill Dragster is often shut down, but do their other coasters have issues as well? And if they do, how does the frequency compare with the rides from other manufacturers? Is there data which shows breakdown occurrences per number of rides given?

The first time we were at CP this summer Gatekeeper was closed and they had to bring a crane in to fix it. The second time we were there Mantis had a train stuck on the lift hill.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything...I seriously want to know if reliability is a real problem with Intamin. Thanks.

Intamin just built a new ride at Busch Gardens that opened 4 months late due to technical problems. There's also the STR incident last year. TTD's known for downtime. Jeff sums it pretty good here. Intamin doesn't look good in the eyes of many amusement parks right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they go under in the next few years.

MF and Maverick are my favorite rides, but B&M's are hardly ever down and much more reliable.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian

Thabto said:

jsmith7300 said:

Intamin just built a new ride at Busch Gardens that opened 4 months late due to technical problems. There's also the STR incident last year. TTD's known for downtime. Jeff sums it pretty good here. Intamin doesn't look good in the eyes of many amusement parks right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they go under in the next few years.

MF and Maverick are my favorite rides, but B&M's are hardly ever down and much more reliable.

That's a shame about Intamin. Maverick and MF are my favorite rides as well. I knew that in the past both have had some problems (Maverick being reprofiled, MF's new lift system) but that sort of cones with the territory to a certain degree when you're trying to build cutting edge rides and be "first" at things. But maybe there was also some quality and design issues at play too and Cedar Fair grew tired of being a guinea pig

Regardless it's hard to imagine CP without Intamin. I guess you could replace them all with B&Ms but what's to say that they would be as good as they are today without Intamin testing the waters first.

Last edited by jsmith7300,

You get what you pay for.

Intamins are not cheap-o rides. In fact, due to the aforementioned maintenance issues combined with high price, a park in France got Mack to make a ride with a very similar layout to Intamin's "famous" Mega-Lite. The Intamin original models include Piraten and Kawasemi. Alpina Blitz is the Mack version, and the similarities are quickly apparent. I305 was based on the Mega-Lite layout, too, although that is a genuine Intamin.

If Intamin wants to compete with B&M, they would have to prove themselves capable of making coasters that only have minor issues opening year, like B&M does.

I agree, though, that Intamin does make more intense rides. Of course, B&M is great too.

It would be nice to see an expansion of Soak City that included some drop slides, a funnel slide / ride, water coaster, etc.

It would be cool if that happened sometime.^

Arms Down, Head Back, and Hold On!...Arms Down!...Arms Down......

Hmmm, there are some great possibilities here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVeHxUVkW4w

While the hotel space is being improved I have to ask if a major revamp of the Grand Pavilion has been discussed at all over the years? The same with the coliseum for that matter. And no, I don't think a bloody dark ride should go inside of it.

The kind of facility I think CP lacks grealy is the means to host inside convention activities. The sort of thing you might expect with trade shows or comic conventions. While some of what they have can pass for that purpose, I frankly think most options are small, cramped and lacking in flex that groups could use.

Plus I'd rather see the old buildings improved in a way that pays for itself and helps remove chances of outright removal over time.

(Don't kill me...)

But I wouldn't be the least upset if they tore down the Coliseum. It's not in the least bit aesthetically appeasing. Looks like a big painted cinder block warehouse with ugly spires. The ballroom is great, but hardly used anymore.

I think the space could be utilized better... NOT a coaster, but something more modern and interesting could be built, maybe similar to the Living with the Land Pavilion at EPCOT.

It would be tantamount to architectural homicide to tear down such a historic building.

Though I do agree with you in that there are better uses for that place than housing decades old video games, only half of which actually work.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service