BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

It's been theorized that one of the reasons interactive dark rides were developed is to give the riders something to do, rather than spit on and vandalize the props.

Don't know if there's in any truth in that or not, but it seems plausible.

At one time idiot kids were stealing the rings from the carousel at Knoebels and chucking them at things inside the Haunted Mansion.

Dark rides at Disney are one thing, those are epic and near historic attractions-I don't even call them rides personally. They are beyond anything that could or would be done at a Cedar Point.

I appreciate folks liking them, I just absolutely could not get excited about them myself.

NWLB
@NWLB, +NathanBoyle, NathanVerse.com

The thing with locking people in vehicles on a dark ride is what happens if the building catches fire and people need to get out? There probably can be a remote release of the harness in emergency conditions which would let riders escape. But, it would need to be 100% reliable when needed, not sure how practical that would be. What if a fire starts in the control system and wipes the emergency release mechanism out?

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

"But what if there's a fire? I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career, sir."

Pete said:
What if a fire starts in the control system and wipes the emergency release mechanism out?

The restraint could be designed in such a way that when de-energized, the restraint would open, by way of a spring or whatever.

Of course, in the event of a simple power outage, you'd have folks free to disembark the vehicle. That could be a problem, though it's not as if a power outage would happen frequently.

Brandon

I was going to say they should lock riders in on a dark ride, but Pete brings up a very good point. I don't think that would fly too well with lawyers and the fire marshal if riders were locked in on the ride if there was a fire. Although, I'm pretty sure DT locked riders into the vehicle.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

djDaemon said:

Pete said:
What if a fire starts in the control system and wipes the emergency release mechanism out?

The restraint could be designed in such a way that when de-energized, the restraint would open, by way of a spring or whatever.

It's similar (reversely) to the safety features of railroad air brakes. The air pressure is used to release the brakes, not engage them. You cut the air supply, the brakes automatically engage.

More pirate references today from Tony on social media

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

And with the placement of the new cam, I'm thinking something could be going on over there this winter.

Brian

Hmm, might this camera have line of sight to Point Pavilion?

If they announce anything else which would be a major surprise, we will here about in on closing day.

EDIT: I was just looking at his Twitter and couldn't find the pirate references. Can you quote what you are referring to?

Last edited by Gatekeeper2013,

It was the Cedar Point Twitter account, they said:

Arrrrrr u ready for more #HalloWeekends?

With a picture of the Pirate Ride tombstone in deceased rides area. I didn't think anything of it when I saw it.

I remember a tweet from a while ago with a picture of the sunrise and it said the sunrise over C&P's, Raptor and... there was a blank space after that. With that and the new camera placement, I still think something is going to happen over there.

Brian

Tilt-a-Whirl said:
^ don't understand how anybody could NOT love them. They are trans-generational... I can ride multiple attractions at Disney with my 3 month old son, while sitting next to my 93 year old grandmother. Name me 5 rides at Cedar Point where I can do that.

yes, and CP only has like, 3 rides where everyone can ride together. big wheel, skyride, train. that's all. unless granny wants to try and squeeze into balloon race and Woodstock's whirly birds...:)
oh I guess cad cars/antique cars. now that's 5.

Last edited by Miss_Maverick07,

t2fastspin said:
"But what if there's a fire? I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career, sir."

KUDOS for "The Breakfast Club" line! I cannot watch that movie too many times. Even have my kids hooked on it!

Last edited by CrankItUp,

Pete said:

The lapbars can be setup to fail to the open position. If power is lost, they automtically unlock. Similar to many typical building control systems. The fire alarm can be hard wired into the power for the lap bars, de-energizing them completely in an emergency mode (i.e. alarm trips). Of course, this is based on a ride vehicle that is running on an electrically charged track.

.. and if ASTM allowed it. Restraints fail to a locked position with loss of power.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

I'm sure Disney has a solid safety procedure in place that a be dark ride could be modeled after.

They have to follow the same rules.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

I understand, maybe look to Disney since they've been operating dark rides for years

Last edited by kylepark,

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service