BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

It also houses the Park Ops office, and the Cedar Point Police station, and the weather detection equipment, and bathrooms.

Really, the arcade is the least significant function of the building these days.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Well, if you're measuring "significance" by talking about function and importance thereof, I'll buy that. But, if you're talking simply square footage (which I was), then yeah, the arcade is much bigger than all of those combined.

I think ultimately the building is a large footprint being underutilized.

The core structure is hardly even what we see at this point. The arches within the arcade are not historic but simply cover the steel bones of the building. The cinder block exterior isn't original either and is mostly to facilitate the internal space. They've covered most of the remaining windows and glass on the second floor. The entire building is not air conditioned except for some of the working space. The humidity and no doubt cold on the first floor makes keeping the amazing collection of games in good repair. During the summer heat it becomes taxing to stay in the arcade, and the games suffer. In the rain it becomes crowded and humid, and the games suffer. They've improved some traffic flow inside it, but it underachieves.

The grand ballroom would make for an amazing conference center for groups, but is without an ADA friendly elevator and beyond that is not air conditioned.

There is ample space to add an elevator, ramps/exit stairs as required. If they'd make the effort, the arcade could become a popular climate controlled retreat. The second floor could become an entertainment venue or rentable space.

But tear it down? Heck frick'n no.

Jitney is kept because it is handy as a storm shelter. We've lost the Gemini arcades. They have a unique thing in the grand arcade which I am my kids alike enjoy. Having an arcade is worth doing and keeping where it is.

So I see it anyway, IMHO.

I would be so sad if the Coliseum were torn down. It's a part of the park's history, still serving multiple purposes. Not all of them are public-facing.

Does nobody else see what kind of potential the ballroom can have when it comes to entertainment at the park?

They could hold Balls, Dances... Shows, Gymnastics,Dancing, ETC..

Our new CEO could really work some Disney magic with that Ballroom

I like the arcade. Usually play in there during the busy time of day. Christmas presents sometimes came from the arcade.

I would be game if there was a way to temporarily move out all the arcade machines and as much of the historic ballroom bits as possible, gut the innards, redo the facade and the internal structure and get everything up to date, and then have a significantly nicer air-conditioned arcade downstairs (which as mentioned would be better for the long-term preservation of the games anyway) and an actually usable ballroom upstairs for groups, events, etc.

Heck, if you wanted to you could section the ballroom and have part of it as a nice sit-down restaurant a la the International Street Restaurant at Kings Island (which I'm not even sure if it's still open).

I'd burn more money in the arcade to be sure if I weren't feeling compelled to leave due to heat.

NWLB said:
I'd burn more money in the arcade to be sure if I weren't feeling compelled to leave due to heat.

Your right, you can't even be in the arcade long enough to spend any money, or even enjoy yourself! That place in the summer will cook you out of the building after 15min! Love that building but something needs to be done with it, even if it's just figuring out the heat issue.

On another note, has anybody seen the live cams today? I noticed this last night, but it was dark and couldn't tell, but there is something going on in Soak City parking lot? Probably something Halloweekends related, or related to Soak City closing down for the season? Or is it something else?

Probably getting set up for Pointfest this weekend. I think that's supposed to utilize the SC parking area.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

redsfan said:
I like the arcade. Usually play in there during the busy time of day. Christmas presents sometimes came from the arcade.

On our family trips to the Point, my mother would spend the entire day in Fascination (aside from occasional forays for french fries and the bathroom). Plenty of Christmas gifts, a couple of television sets, and a bicycle were among her winnings.

noggin said:

redsfan said:

On our family trips to the Point, my mother would spend the entire day in Fascination (aside from occasional forays for french fries and the bathroom). Plenty of Christmas gifts, a couple of television sets, and a bicycle were among her winnings.

I remember Fascination, only tried it a couple of times. It really was something that people got hooke don and seemed never to leave at times. To be honest I can't even remember how it worked.

Likewise I actually keep forgetting Johnny Rocket's is even there. Of all the places in Cedar Point it along with the Market buffet just slip my mind. For some reason that corner just isn't what I'm thinking about when near it.

Having an arcade is a great thing and I doubt they will close it. One when it rains everybody goes there and cedar point makes a whole ton of money

im pretty bummed out about them getting rid of the mantis, i read that another cedar fair park got rid of their other stand up coaster as well and they are selling it on some website. and now cedar point isnt the worlds best amusement park this year, im not sure what they are doing but i dont like it. i think they should keep the mantis i really like it. and im sad that i cant ride it before its gone.. i dont really see what excitement it would be to just make it another sit down coaster like every ride in the park... i the mantis was only few coasters of the world that you stood up on and now that record for them is down the toilet.

Just got back from vacation outside the country and purposefully ignored the internet the entire time. I was hoping to come back to some awesome announcements and came back to an announcement of an announcement ...damn! :)

More parking lot cam today. After some yesterday and another pick at "parking lot enthusiasts" from Tony.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/511505720182075392

Would he still be trying to poke fun at the earliest comments on here about the parking lot? Or might this actually be something?

He's just messing with you and you're eating it up. :)

I think they should bring fascination back. I remember meeting up with my parents and playing with them because they didn't want to leave. It was a pretty fun game. You got 3 balls and it was tic tac toe. Kind of like skeeball. I'd like to see it take up the back half of the arcade. That would be sweet.

topthrilldragster4lyf said:
He's just messing with you and you're eating it up. :)

Hey, can't help that I want it to be true! :-)

A few years ago at NoCoaster, the guy from CP said one of the reasons Fascination was removed was the expense of parts. Apparently the manufacturer long since shut its doors, and the park had to manufacture any replacement parts that were needed.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service