Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

"really, you think people come to cedar point to ride T.C. and not dragster? cedar point promotes their roller coasters. they are the roller coaster capital of the world. you think people don't come for their roller coasters?"

People come to cedarpoint to ride coasters AND other rides as well.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jeff, It does matter how many coasters they have. If it didn't , they wouldn't mention it in their ads.

Secondly, at least it's not cornhole new for 2010.

Well when i came down to the Point this year, i came down with two friends. Together i think we spend pretty close to what a family spends with the hotel and the food and the ticket prices. We bought the two day pass plus food at the Park and the Maverick cup along with some gifts for the girlfriends back home. Do you think younger people just come to the park alone? No, we came in groups. We left at 2 am in the morning and drove 8 hours just to get down there. I did all the driving. My point being is, Younger people spend just as much as families.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Maybe on that one trip, you and your buddies spent as much as a family, but unless you can point to data showing that kids your age spend as much regularly, I'm calling BS.

Brandon

Cedar Point does already have a well rounded line up. For those you keep saying this "completes" their line up, i don't see that. I would much rather have a new flat ride that the Point doesn't have than a new water ride that's like the ones we already have. Is anyone seeing my point? I don't think this ride will do very much in bring in more people.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Well consider this. We were thinking of going to Ocean City, MD for a week next summer. After seeing this new ride, I'm changing our minds and we're going to Cedar Point and Castaway Bay for a couple days.
Worth it. :)

Tony said at the ERT for Maverick that we would not get wet. I like the ride it looks good and fun. I am not too happy that it gets you soaked. The animation shows the boat going under a waterfall. I do not like walking around wet either and it is a pain to change clothes.

Disclaimer: I did not read this entire thread. :)

2008 visits = 38, 2009 = 19, 2010 = 11, 2011 = 14, 2012 = 10, 2013 = 14, 2014 = 14, 2015= 13, 2016 = 11, 2017 = 5, 2018 = 3

I just heard a rumor that they have named the 2 hills.One is bay-gull landing and the other is lake-gull landing.

Mikeybo2004 said:
Tony said at the ERT for Maverick that we would not get wet.

Disclaimer: I did not read this entire thread. :)

Obviously, or you'd know that you're full of crap.

Brandon

It "completes" thier water ride line up as well as adding to thier family line up (great move).Also just as an example i rarely rode the water rides the last few years with only 2 it wasnt worth getting wet ,but adding a new one definatly makes it worth it , like i said before i think a lot more people will be riding water rides next year . On a negative note it might very well decrease Soak City attendance.

Last edited by Coaster Noob,

the ffej man said:
Jeff, It does matter how many coasters they have. If it didn't , they wouldn't mention it in their ads.

You're inventing cause and effect. They market a hundred other things in ads too. It has no bearing on their decision to build a water ride, or that a water ride will draw more families to the park.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Can we please move this discussion along... this is ridiculous to keep discussing.

ANYWAY- Pilgrims Plunge was a 6.5 million investment, a lot larger and more intricate ride. While STR is a much longer ride, I'm hoping theres a 1-2 million dollar budget to theme this attraction. I was all for a dark ride personally, but if this ride has some intese themeing along the long periods of winding around on the island, then this ride will indeed be a smash hit. (remember the comic said something about fire burning on the island)

I also believe the height rerequirement will be as low as possible. The mere fact that theres a restraint system should allow this. If the ride does end up having a 48" requirement then this ride will be an epic fail!

If they are using the same boats/restraints as Pilgrims Plunge, then it seems likely that it would be 48". I think the fact that they haven't announced it yet is a good sign that they are working to lower it.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

All of the arm-chair Mod's need to lay off, Ty is giving his case (although not a very well thought out one) and is getting "attacked" because of a certain lack of a family view-point.

And although you and your two friends may have spent that much, I'm still pretty sure (at least in CP's eyes) the spending spree of a group of 3 teenagers will pale in comparison to the spending per head of a "traditional" family of 4, this ride being built in order to cater (hopefully, with the right height limit) to that demographic, something that you just don't seem to be grasping. You can be sure that when my 2 sisters come down with their 6 kids and husband that they are spending more then you and unfortunately lacking in rides that they are all capable of riding (2/3'rds of which are afraid of roller coasters) and enjoying as a family. Something again that you may (or may not) understand when you get older.

Furthermore, what kind of flat ride would you put in that CP doesn't have one or two of already, that will cater to the described demographic that I stated above? STR is a well thought out ride, one that I look forward to enjoying with my sisters and kids next year, and an experience in which I would, prior to next year, be able to enjoy with them.

Last edited by WaterDummy,

-Miker-

When I was a teenager I knew exactly how to spend as little as possible. Free water and tacos by SRF were .99 for the first one and .98 for the second .97...

Anyone else think its a little weird that the first drop is the bigger of the two. Also I just realized this is taller than Snake River Falls and nearly as steep so it should be pretty fun.
I'm really looking forward to riding this with my fiance (well wife by then) and my niece and nephew. When we are done we'll all go over to Maverick and ride that together too.

This isn't taller than SRF.

"This isn't taller than SRF."
SNARF- 82.7 feet high, 80 ft drop, with descent of 50 degree drop.
STR- 85 foot drop, descent is 45.

All of the information is provided for you on CP's website...

Last edited by WaterDummy,

-Miker-

SRF drop is 82 feet. STR drop is 85 feet.

Last edited by Coastern3rd,

Ty Z said:
Is anyone seeing my point?

Yes, but here's my visualization of your point. Picture a wall with a dartboard on it. See the bullseye? Yeah, well your point is on the wall behind the shooter.

Chief - a page or two back you mentioned that a family ride is one that allows the kids to ride (that 7-10 range). I have to (mildly) disagree. A family ride is something the parents can ride with a kid that age without being completely bored. Something that they can enjoy for themselves and get more joy because they can ride with their child.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Tilt-a-Whirl said:
ANYWAY- Pilgrims Plunge was a 6.5 million investment, a lot larger and more intricate ride. While STR is a much longer ride, I'm hoping theres a 1-2 million dollar budget to theme this attraction.

Don't forget that if they are having to modify any of the wetlands in the park to build this, they have to build (I think at a 2-1 ratio, but someone can correct me) new wetlands off point. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a million or so in the budget to cover the ecological impact.

*sorry for the double post, just trying to catch up after being afk for a couple hours.

Last edited by JuggaLotus,

Goodbye MrScott

John

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service