Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

yes i do see alot of families standing in line for dragster and millennium and maverick, families enjoy those rides, even when i was young i rode millennium and dragster with my family. dragster opened when i was in 8th grade and i rode it with my family. so saying that families don't enjoy dragster and company is a lie because they do.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

WOW. Why is there so much bickering? Everyone just calm down. This is what Cedar Point needed. Will they put in more coasters in the future? Most likely. Will it be wooden? Who knows? Do little kids like TTD? Some do. Is it a family ride? Not really... Therefore, Shoot the Rapids is, in my opinion, a great addition. I do not have kids, but my friends do and I'm sure they will love this. Can't we all just get along??? :)

Last edited by mourningglorie,

Jenn

Ty, you're missing the point (shocker!).

I never claimed that no families ride those coasters. Most families don't ride big, crazy thrill rides, for various reasons - height being key. And while we admittedly don't know if this ride will have a low requirement, its smallish drops give me hope.

Really, you're just coming across as a jaded teenager who didn't get the gift he was (asininely) expecting under the tree.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

How old were you in 8th grad Ty? I've always referred to "family attractions" as being those that could be ridden basically by elementary school aged children. My son is going to be 7 this year. In all honesty, I'm not sure he is going to be at 48" this summer. So, that will rule him out another year.

When I've said that CP is missing out on the family demographic I wasn't really talking about Mom, Dad and the two teenage/preteen kids. Of course that family unit is pretty happy with the CP offerings. There are a handful of attractions my entire family cannot enjoy together in the Disney parks.

The opposite is true for Cedar Point.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

This video gives a good look at how the restraint works.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I wonder if the Grist Mill will be integrated into the queue/entrance at all. The renderings seem to indicate the entrance pathway heading from that direction behind Snake River Falls. That could be a neat touch and a bit of "bonus" themed architecture.

(EDIT: I just saw the most recent OnPoint! blog regarding where the entrance is. Grist Mill probably would be a little too far away from the ride itself.)

Last edited by TimChat2,

hey you asked how many families ride those rides and i answered, alot do, alot more than you think. families go to cedar point for the roller coasters, not some water ride.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Call me simple , but i am very happy with Shoot the Rapids , although i still think Whyte Lightning should still be used for a coaster or something . I cant even remmember the last family ride CP got, maybe woodstock express i think (i dont count Maverick as a family ride even though they said it was).

This ride fits perfectly in that area and will add a beautiful piece of scenery to PWE, much better than a coaster would have. It perfectly fills thier line up too. I for one will be riding all the water rides a LOT more next year . I have a feeling many more people will be will be doing the same. This will add an even greater number of people to that area of the park , which means at least slightly shorter lines for the coasters .. All you disapointed thrill-seekers can relex i have a feeling 2011 will make you happy, with some kind of thrilling flat or coaster.

Ty, for the record, I would have LOVED a new coaster. However, I do know that there are not enough rides for families. I think this is good for everyone.

Jenn

It was a rhetorical question, Ty. And you're dead wrong about why people come to CP.

Brandon

Well said, Coaster Noob :)

Jenn

really, you think people come to cedar point to ride T.C. and not dragster? cedar point promotes their roller coasters. they are the roller coaster capital of the world. you think people don't come for their roller coasters?

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

I always thought CP could do with another water ride, where is the animation for it? I can't seem to find it on the CP website.

Lay off on Ty, guys. But Ty--please use proper grammar/formatting. Capitalization is the key.

Congrats to everyone who predicted the water ride. I was wrong with my prediction.

However...it seems odd to me that the name Whyte Lightning would just not be used in the ride. I know it mentioned it in the description, but no one is going to remember it when they ride it. It just seems weird to me--the whole 'lightning strikes twYce' thing and then they name it Shoot the Rapids.

Undomesticated equines could not remove me.

Ty Z said:
really, you think people come to cedar point to ride T.C. and not dragster? cedar point promotes their roller coasters. they are the roller coaster capital of the world. you think people don't come for their roller coasters?

Perhaps I should put it this way...

People come to CP to ride coasters, but the "build more coasters" strategy isn't driving attendance and revenue like it used to, because kids like you spend a fraction of what families do.

Brandon

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the inability of some to understand the business of amusement parks, but come on. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the park already has more roller coasters than anyone else. That doesn't matter in the first place, but it won't change either.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

The point IS, Ty (since you keep missing it), there are a LOT of families who do not like the high thrill rides but want something a little more thrilling than the average flats or spin n pukes. For every "family" you see standing in Dragster or Millennium Force's lines, there is at least one or two who are looking for something milder to ride.

Take a look at the areas around those coasters and you will see the moms, dads and grandparents sitting and waiting with the kids who can't or will not ride those coasters while the other members of their family are in line. CP is filling a niche. It's great business sense to appeal to everyone, not just the thrill seekers.

WWL on a nice, warm day, even at the end of it's lifespan, still had long waits. Obviously people liked it. When CP did their survey a couple of years ago, a replacement for WWL was high on the list of things people wanted.

Again, as someone else mentioned, you may understand better when you have kids of your own.

I'd rather die living than live like I'm dead

Walt said:
I haven't read this much complaining since they took out White Water Landing. :)

So true, so true. That is the funniest thing I read all day. I literally laughed out loud. :)

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Walt said:
This video gives a good look at how the restraint works.

Surely they stop the boat for loading/unloading, no?

Ty, dude, yes...a lot of people go to the park simply for the rollercoasters. And, I suspect some people don't visit the park, or don't visit as often, because of the focus on rollercoasters. What Cedar Point has done is admitted (in my opinion) that they need to start focusing a little more on the younger and older parts of "family" and this attraction appears to be trying to address that.

If Cedar Point had the option of being the roller coaster capital of the world or the family destination of the world then I'd be willing to bet they would hang their hat on that second label.

Rollercoasters put the park on the map but a well rounded attraction offering will keep them on the map.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service