Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

Re: Whyte Lightning, from the Shoot the Rapids page -

You'll board your boat inside the Crystal Rock Bottling Company and travel through rivers, around an illegal moonshine still and encounter some wild feudin' and fightin'. We still have no clue what they're fightin' over (it could be Whyte Lightnin'), but yer sure to be a part of it!

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Walt i am not complaining, i'm just giving my point of view of the new ride in the most respectable way possible. and why is everyone so against a new woodie all of a sudden? everyone on here at some point stated that cedar point needs one.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Great Ty, you've covered the younger crowd, I'm asking what is there for kids ages 6-15 to do? What if they're afraid of CP's big coasters? This fills that niche quite nicely and again, maybe or maybe not, you'll understand someday.

Noob: It appears they'll be using 'Whyte Lightning' as a drink around the area from what I've heard/read and to further push the theme of the ride.

-Miker-

I was hoping for a log flume and I was hoping for a family ride but I'm not going to lie, I probably should have been a little more specific. If these boats are the same as Holiday World's Pilgrim's Plunge, I don't see how the height requirement would be anything less than 48" due to the restraints and a ride with a 48" height requirement is not a family ride to me.

I hope I'm wrong, please let me be wrong.

On the other hand, the name is nice, the theme is nice, the ride layout doesn't look too bad. I just wish there could have been a way to use the older log boats similar to what WWL used.

~Rob

Ty, no one is against a new coaster. Its just that those of us with a wider perspective on what makes the park successful aren't clamoring for something the park doesn't desperately need. They needed a flume, and now they have one.

And I'm not sure on what planet you'd consider your comments not complaining...

Brandon

I'm just glad that the new ride is using chlorinated water instead of lake Erie water!

I wish there was a comment rating system on here, I'd give DJ a +1.

-Miker-

well waterdummy, as for what i can see when i'm at the point, very kid over the age of 10 is standing in line for dragster, millennium, maverick and every other big name ride. if you don't believe me, check for yourself, there are young kids in line all the time for these rides. it sometimes amazes me that some of them are even tall enough to ride them.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

CP Nut said:
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the animations and videos on CP's site? They wont load for me and the screen seems stuck past the bottom of my monitor. Just want to know if I was the only one.

There is already a version of the POV on Youtube if the CP page wont load for you.....

Ty Z said:
...very kid over the age of 10 is standing in line for dragster, millennium, maverick and every other big name ride...

Exactly! And how many happy, smiling families do you see in those lines? Not many, which is why CP is building something for them this time, instead of you.

Brandon

how is pointing out that young kids ride the big named rides and that there are things for families to do and that cedar points needs a woodie complaining? and for the record, this ride is not a flume. not even close. its more of a river rapids than anything. like it said before, its a combo of SRF and T.C. i'm sure it will be a fun ride, but i think cedar point should have went with a new type of water ride, instead of combining the two they already have.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Walt, I will trust that you know what you are talking about when you say there may be more to it. Again, I certainly didn't want to sound like I was complaining. Happy there might be something new for me to ride with the 7 year old. Just thought that compared to what we are seeing rolled out these days (think the immersive experience that will be Harry Potter world) that there might be a bit more to the ride experience.

I look forward to hearing more about it.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

they all look happy to me standing in lines for the rides. they all have smilies on their faces and look excited.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

My 7yo daughter rides dragster and my 6yo son love mf. 48" should be ok for a family ride.

Ty Z said:
and as for june being 77 degrees, where were you this june? i live in Michigan and i know for a fact it never got past 60 one day where i lived. might be a little different down there, but even 77 can be cold when there is a strong wind coming off the lake.

You're exhausting. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USOH0855?from=search

I didn't just pull the number 77 out of a hat. That is the average temp for Sandusky. Nearly all of Sandusky is near the lake and is subject to the same breeze you mention.

And 77 is just the AVERAGE so one could presume that nearly half the days in June it is warmer than that. The recorded high for June is 103 degrees.

And while it can be chilly when there is a breeze, it can also be sweltering when there isn't a breeze and you've been walking on pavement all day in the beating sun.

Really, Ty? You see a lot of families standing in line for Dragster? Really?

Brandon

One thing not mentioned is that you will be able to watch the final splashdown from the frontier trail. That is a nice touch that adds to the family allure. But I agree with Bob that the 48" minimum and the restraint system doesn't sound all that family friendly.

Chief Wahoo said:
Walt, I will trust that you know what you are talking about when you say there may be more to it.

I don't know. :) But from the material on the web site, it seems like that's what they have in mind. Check out the Decker interview.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

It looks like from the animation that the restraint system is a lap bar.

the ffej man said:
My 7yo daughter rides dragster and my 6yo son love mf. 48" should be ok for a family ride.

Considering other flumes at other parks carry a 36" height requirement (as did WWL), I consider this sort of a step backwards if this ride carries a 48" requirement. Heck, I'd even be happy if it was 42".

We'll see, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Let's not forget that Maverick was announced as a "family ride."

~Rob

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service