Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

Looks to be a great water ride, exactly what I was hoping it was and what CP needs.

I love the name! Being old enough to see the final construction of the original Shoot The Rapids during the first year, and being a rider during it's first days of operation, the name holds a lot of nostalgia. Even the shape of the boats reminds me of the original Shoot The Rapids.

The integration of the storyline of the ride with PWE will be fun, well done!

Glad to have Shoot The Rapids back at the Point!

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

For those of you who are worried about getting wet, these boats look like the same as the ones on Pilgrim's Plunge, and that is one of the most pitifull splashes i'v ever seen a water ride make, so perhaps the splash downs won't be that bad.

2009 TL Gemini
2008 ATL Gemini
2007 ATL Witches' Wheel/Monster
Da BEARS!

Well, I've been arguing for a "family" ride for a number of years now so I find myself in a precarious position. I hate to be overly critical when they have finally addressed what I think was a sore need.

But, I will have to say that I am a little surprised with the, shall I say simplicity, of the attraction?!? Two drops (the height is not my concern) and a rather mundane looking series of turns and some rock work. Considering the trend toward more immersive experiences this does seem to scream "meh". Then again, considering where the decisions are still being made it should not come as any kind of surprise.

Happy that it is a family ride.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

may and june will be too cold for people to enjoy this ride. what's the sense of riding this ride when its not warm out? i don't see where this ride fills a gap when they have two other water rides just like it. cedar point needed a new woodie far more than they needed this ride. maybe next year cedar point will get a new woodie. i can only hope. i ride SNF and T.C. every year so i'm not hating on water rides because i don't like them, i do, i'm just not feeling this ride. there is nothing new or exciting about it. that's what i think of it.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Believe it or not, Cedar Point markets to people other than kids in high school. What isn't worthy of "hype" to some is being enjoyed by many others.

The roller coaster is only one aspect of a successful amusement parks. If you ignore everything else, as many children wish, the park would eventually fail.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Chief Wahoo said:

But, I will have to say that I am a little surprised with the, shall I say simplicity, of the attraction?!?

I don't think we're seeing the entire picture of how the feud theme will be used.

Ty Z said:
cedar point needed a new woodie far more than they needed this ride.

Why? So you'll go more often and not spend any money in the park when you do?

i ride SNF and T.C. every year...

What the hell is "SNF"?

Brandon

Just watched through all the interviews. The "Kinzelview" at the end made me laugh... I don't know how many times I have heard DK say "Cedar Point is the coaster capital of the world....". Sandor's interviews are always amusing as well... he finds the most odd things to talk about.

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004

Ty Z said:
may and june will be too cold for people to enjoy this ride. what's the sense of riding this ride when its not warm out?

The average temp in June is 77 degrees. For many people, that is warm enough to ride a water ride.

@Gam Man: You obviously have not seen Pilgrim's Plunge since they 'fixed' the run-out, that thing gets you soaked, with or without the splash.

The ncie thing about the InaRide water rides is that they seem to be able to control the splash or water "damage" (as some may call it) better then any other ride manufacturer I've seen.

-Miker-

SRF my bad. and cedar point needs a new woodie because they only have 2 true woodies, blue streak and mean streak. blue streak is great but its getting up there in age and mean streak is fun but it hurts. i don't consider Gemini and cedar creek mine ride to be true woodies since they are a steel/wood hybrid. you don't get the experience of a wooden coaster on those rides.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

Ty, with all due respect, if CP brought in a pre-fabricated woodie, would that qualify as a true woodie for you?

"i don't consider Gemini and cedar creek mine ride to be true woodiessince they are a steel/wood hybrid. you don't get the experience of awooden coaster on those rides." Well you would be correct on that account, since they are steel coasters.

But you are only showing your true age, you will understand someday when you have a family and paying the price of admission to walk around CP and ride nothing with your family. Until then, keep dreaming to the coaster gods.

-Miker-

and as for june being 77 degrees, where were you this june? i live in Michigan and i know for a fact it never got past 60 one day where i lived. might be a little different down there, but even 77 can be cold when there is a strong wind coming off the lake.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

If you're curious about the boats, check out Pilgrims Plunge at Holiday World.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I haven't read this much complaining since they took out White Water Landing. :)

Great observations, Wave Swinger!

It is rare that we see an attraction that is tied so well with the past and present.

and there is plenty for younger kids to do. there are coasters for younger kids to ride, there is a childrens play area, there is the other 2 water rides, the ferris wheel, the train, cedar point has alot for younger kids and families to enjoy.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

If anyones reads my post ,which it doesnt seem like anyone does . I was just wondering if anyone thinks they are just going to throw away a great name like Whyte Lightning ?

Also with the new ride going right next to SRF do you think SRF will recieve some kind of make over to make it more presentable.

Ty Z said:
cedar point has alot for younger kids and families to enjoy.

And you & your high school buddies have an ass load of world class coasters, while families get a much-needed attraction they can enjoy together.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service