Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

Such an innovative use of land. Very nice.

ice said:
I think the thing to do would be to bring a change of clothes, ride all the water rides a few times and go change.

That's what we do. Or, we change into our swimsuits, hit the water rides, then head to Soak City.

Brandon

On hot days, I always wear my bathing suit. Just be glad it is only a Speedo brand one and not the type that fat old rich men wear. Not sure what the lockers cost, but with being able to ride 3 different rides in one area make them worth the buck or two that they charge.

Jason Hammond said:

bc008 said:
Eek, I just saw the animation with the waterfall. I hope thats turned off unless its like 100+ degrees out.

100+ in Ohio? That's maybe a couple days a year.

your point? :P

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that a large part of the 10.5 million they're spending is going to be on landscaping/theming. The area extending into the water isn't that far out as it stands right now, and they have to drench two areas of land as well.

-Miker-

i think it's a complete waste of 10.5 million. i don't see anything great or special about this ride. seems like they just combined snake river falls with T.C. nothing special and 10.5 million is way to much, especially for a ride that people will only be able to ride and enjoy a month or 2 out of the year. cedar point was way better off going with a new coaster.

my fav. rides:
1) Top Thrill Dragster
1) M-Force
1) Maverick

realmadrid311 said:
I wasn't happy to hear that you will get wet at first especially since that means I have to find a place for my phone.

You could solve that problem with a sandwich baggie.

No one has mentioned the reuse of the name "Shoot the Rapids". I like it from a nostalgic standpoint. That was the FT water ride before WWL and I remember it being a lot of fun.

I do not see the significance of SRF now. They essentially have duplicate rides now, maybe only differing in the amount of drenching.

cyberdman

Ty Z said:
i think it's a complete waste of 10.5 million.

cedar point was way better off going with a new coaster.

Why? Because you won't go next year?

Brandon

Captain Crunch said:
No one has mentioned the reuse of the name "Shoot the Rapids". I like it from a nostalgic standpoint. That was the FT water ride before WWL and I remember it being a lot of fun.

I thought Shoot the Rapids was where Raptor currently sits?

Oh God our phones!!!! What's going to happen to our phones!!?!? How did people ever get on the original Shoot the Rapids or White Water Landing with their phones?!

Also not pleased "on paper" with the restraint system. Web site facts and figures say its over the head?! Say it isn't so...

Other than that, pretty much what I expected. Nice job.

Jim Joyce said:
Web site facts and figures say its over the head?!

Yeah, "Over the head" restraints would be quite painful I'd think. ;)

What they mean by "over the head", would be that they come from over your head and they're just lap bars. They're not over the shoulder restraints.

Last edited by Loopy,

eat. sleep. ride! - Coaster apparel and accessories!

Ride on, MrScott!

"especially for a ride that people will only be able to ride and enjoy a month or 2 out of the year." Oh give me a break, WWL was "ride-able" almost all season long and it was a nice break from the monotonous amount of roller coasters that CP has. Those knocking it will be in one of 2 categories, 1. All they care about are roller coasters and if CP isn't building a new one they are a mistake and 2. Those who are afraid of getting wet.

Are there faults with the ride? I'm not the biggest fan of the boats, and I would have loved to have seen a WWL style high-section (as someone pointed out), but for gods sakes, when's the last time CP added a ride that didn't appeal to little kids (Planet Snoopy) or the thrill ride section of the demographics (Maverick, Skyhawk, Maxair.)

-Miker-

Not that i dont like Shoot the Rapids but are they just throwing away a great name like Whyte Lightning ?

Ty Z said:
i think it's a complete waste of 10.5 million. i don't see anything great or special about this ride. seems like they just combined snake river falls with T.C. nothing special and 10.5 million is way to much, especially for a ride that people will only be able to ride and enjoy a month or 2 out of the year. cedar point was way better off going with a new coaster.

I disagree. I think its $10.5 Million well spent. CP has plenty of good coasters. MF, TTD, Maverick, Raptor, Gemini, WT, Magnum, and Iron Dragon are enough to keep me busy. Kinzel said it right in the interview on the Shoot The Rapids page. He said they felt they had a commitment to families. This ride is truly a family ride that everyone can ride in my opinion.

Its alright. Even though Ty Z hates CP now, I'm sure his parents will still buy him a season pass next year.

Brandon

Haha thanks Loopy that makes more sense. I suppose the days of us flopping around like fish in the bottom of a boat like we did in WWL are over!

Interesting that if this ride actually starts in the Crystal Rock Bottling Co., lightning actually has struck THREE times!!

http://www.thepointol.com/cponle/postcards/srapids.jpg

http://www.thepointol.com/cponle/postcards/crystal.jpg

Loopy said:

Jim Joyce said:
Web site facts and figures say its over the head?!

Yeah, "Over the head" restraints would be quite painful I'd think. ;)

I'm bored. Really bored. :)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/benchmieleski/overtthehead.jpg

Not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed. I, like many, was hoping for a new coaster, since I'm a coaster freak and never ride the water rides more than once. Plus I was hoping CP would regain their coaster number title! I'm a little confused by the amount of hype built up for it too.

Despite all that, I will agree that for a water ride, it does look cool and is a nice addition to that area of the park. I won't be boycotting CP for it, lol, and I will ride it once to experience it. I also like the name recycling, since I'm currently in a CP history mood.

Plus, there's always 2011 to speculate on and hope for! ;)

Last edited by CarrieS,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service