Camper village 2014

They don't offer discounts, because they do not need to. They have done a pretty good job at maximizing revenue by keeping prices high, and even increasing them during times of high demand such as HW.

MaverickLaunch said:
They take up a lot more space than a campsite...

A quick look at a satellite map shows the opposite.

Brandon

tommyh88 said:
I would pay attention to Tony's presentation at the ACE No Coaster Con this Saturday. He's been hinting on Twitter that he will be making a few announcements. He used the word "major," and replied to someone who asked about the camping circle being closed with "more information coming very soon."

So, nothing said Saturday?

Tony said to stay tuned to the blog for updates on Saturday's announcement.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Nothing too exciting on today's blog.

djDaemon said:

MaverickLaunch said:
They take up a lot more space than a campsite...

Not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that the campsites take up more space. Looking at satellite images they appear to be the same with the outer circle of the campsite area appearing to be slightly smaller.

Side note, it's pretty cool that the updated google maps satellite image shows a half torn down disaster transport.

djDaemon said:

A lengthy, in person look (and 35 years spent camping there) tells me your conclusion after glancing at the satellite imagery is incorrect. Especially where the old camping circle is concerned, where they really pack you in. Yes, there are some larger full hookup sites, and (gasp!) unused space, but in 99% of the cases, the 10' wide cottages and 40-44 feet of length they require takes more space than a campsite.

Also, remember that campsite spots include vehicle parking, where cottages require a decent sized parking lot and other common areas (pond, etc) that don't get factored in when you simply look at the footprint of a cottage.

Oh dang. I've only been camping there for 30 years, so I guess you win. ;-)

Fair point about the parking (though don't the FHU sites have "off site" parking as well?). And after another look, the density seems pretty comparable. Of course, the rates for cabins/cottages are much higher, enough to cover the higher maintenance costs and then some, presumably. So the profit density isn't the same.

Brandon

Are either of you the owners of the silver airstream which is often in the first spot by the dump station? I swear that is there most times we are.

Chris

We see that Airstream there all the time too. We usually try to grab the 3 spots (162,163,164) next to that one when we go up there.

djDaemon said:

Fair point about the parking (though don't the FHU sites have "off site" parking as well?). And after another look, the density seems pretty comparable. Of course, the rates for cabins/cottages are much higher, enough to cover the higher maintenance costs and then some, presumably. So the profit density isn't the same.

Great logic to support your argument, the cottages charge more therefore they must make more money. I know that you a big proponent of this so please bring some facts to back this up. I would imagine the campground would bring in about the same amount of profit with less of a hassle than the cottages. I am not saying that they wouldn't replace that area with cottages, but I just don't understand where you are coming from saying that it is obvious that the cottages would make more money. I could see them getting rid of the campsite area to give the place more of an upscale look.

djDaemon said:

Finally, we agree on something! ;)

Fair point about the parking (though don't the FHU sites have "off site" parking as well?).

To my knowledge, there is no off-site parking for FHU sites. There's the very small RV parking lot next to the CV registration building, but I'm not aware of any other parking.

And after another look, the density seems pretty comparable. Of course, the rates for cabins/cottages are much higher, enough to cover the higher maintenance costs and then some, presumably. So the profit density isn't the same.

You're right, the profit density isn't the same. But I don't think you or I have enough information to say with certainty which is higher. My *guess* was that it was comparable, after figuring in all the maintenance, staffing, etc of the cottages vs campsites which have far less. Additionally, it is my belief that the cottages have higher vacancy than the campsites, but that's just an observation, I don't have facts to back that up.

Regardless, it's great to have choices. As a family who spends most of the summer traveling around in our RV, we won't go to amusement parks that aren't RV friendly. Take Kings Island for example... we go there for Haunt, but not in the summer because there's no longer an adjacent campground to stay at (Thanks, Great Wolf Lodge!). So having fewer options will turn away some customers completely. That's just another factor that influences the final numbers that we are speculating about.

Has anyone heard any news on the closing of the older section of Campers Village? It was not mentioned at all by Tony or Cedar Point the past few days.

Last edited by Frito Joe,

Frito Joe

Tony said he will have more information soon, you have to be patient.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I was looking at the websites for Kings Dominion and Carowinds for their campground information. KD camper village said it's closed for renovations, and Carowinds has larger cabins (2 bedrooms) plus a lodge that sleeps many more. Wonder if that could coming to our closed circle area.

Chris

I came across something very interesting.

Kings Dominion has released plans to expand their campground with Cottages:

http://kdfansite.com/2014/01/kings-dominion-camp-wilderness-expansion/

Now pay attention to the footnote at the bottom of that page, and the middle picture. "2014 Lighthouse Point expansion."

"If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: `It seemed a good idea at the time"

I think we're on to something here.

Chris

Ding. Ding. Ding. That's the exact layout of the cabins at lighthouse point. I wonder why they haven't announced it yet.

Will Cedar Fair ever have something that doesn't get leaked? haha

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Based on their track record I have to think most leaks are intentional at this point to build buzz. Maybe they are that good at faking stupid.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service