Camper village 2014

If I'm not mistaken, this isn't the first time the park has looked at removing the Camper Village circle for future expansion. I hope someone can chime in and help me out with the details, but I think I remember reading somewhere on these forums a while ago (maybe even several years ago) that the park had proposed a coaster that would run back along Soak City and into the area occupied by the CV circle. The circle would be removed in place of the coaster, but this coaster ended up transforming into what became Maverick. I know I read something about this at one point. Can anyone help me out here or support this? I think someone posted a video about Cedar Fair's planning process for future rides and at one point the camera showed various blueprints, and one of them was for this alleged coaster.

Last edited by Ride On_17,

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

New coaster was my first thought, it could be a possibility but I don't think we would see a closure of that area until the end of the season prior to the opening year. It would be added noise to the resort area though and with a 60 mil investment I don't think that will be the choice... I as well would be curious what other options have been discussed in the past.

Last year we just set up in the newer Camper Village section, and a heavy flash flood hit. I walked over to the CV circle sites and couldn't believe how many sites were under water. This pic doesn't show some of the worst sites, but you get the idea. Maybe this closing is to improve drainage, along with the other ideas of upgrading to sewer and cable.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb471/joefrito/Campervillageflashflood.jpg

Last edited by Frito Joe,

Frito Joe

Thinking the chances of the circle staying are nil. Really sucks. East Harbor is a very nice campgrounds. Maybe stay there instead. Platinum Pass will get me into KI. Anyways my ideas of what could be going on....

It has to involve the resort. They wouldn't have added 2 rides if they were going to invest heavily into the park. The resorts were also mentioned as the reason they sold the waterparks they sold. Is Soak City part of the resort? I suppose it is out of park revenue. It could be waterpark.

Could they be building a hotel? It could be possible that the Bon Air section is in it's final year of existence. It was not in the pictures of the hotel refurbishment. If they are tearing that down next year they should be breaking ground on the new hotel soon. How many stories is the Tower at Breakers? How many years did it take to build?

It would be nice to have another out of park eating establishment. That would go hand in hand with another hotel. Buffalo Wild Wings sounds like a good one. How often are the hotels booked to the max?

I'd rather see the camping stay. Or this could be something huge that takes 2 years or more to complete. All I know is this that it is frustrating to have to wait to find out if I am pissed off or not. If they use the land productively I wouldn't mind so much. It isn't remotely close to the park though.

I seen that happen few years ago. We were lucky not to get flooded in.

Some of the trailers power cords were underwater except at the receptacle post and leading into the trailer powerbox. Campers were sitting on top of the tables with water up close to the bench seat. The campers were wading thru the water to get around. Definitely a disaster for a weekend of camping and coasters! Ugh :-(

Frito Joe

Those particular pull thru spots often flood, so we've learned to avoid them. I think if it were only improvements to the circle, it would not be closed the entire season. It could be started now and finished by June surely. As for a restaurant, the one at Sand Castle is rarely full, so it doesn't seem like a good location for another. I don't want to stay at an off site campgrounds, that's why we don't go to Kings Island any more. We go in and out of the park too often.

Chris

I would have to say the reason Breakwater cafe is not busy is that most people do not know it's there or want to deal with the buffet style it offers but if you went and and redid the theme and changed it back to a traditional sit down full service like Buffalo Wild Wings or other sit down style restraunts like something not in the area to draw in the people

Magnum 2002, Magnum 2003, Mean Streak, Snake ATL, Mean Streak TL 2004, Magnum TL 2005, Mean Streak TL 2006, Part Time Rides 2007

I just posted this in the Resort Reservations topic, but bears posting here...

I would pay attention to Tony's presentation at the ACE No Coaster Con this Saturday. He's been hinting on Twitter that he will be making a few announcements. He used the word "major," and replied to someone who asked about the camping circle being closed with "more information coming very soon."

If I had to throw a guess out there, I'd say it's getting an upgrade. They said at the PointBuzz Q&A that there were no plans for Soak City in the foreseeable future. It was also announced in a conference call that two parks would be receiving more cottages, and those weren't identified. Just something to think about, we'll hopefully know soon.

"If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: `It seemed a good idea at the time"

Until I see more stuff we all know Tony is one to make something out of nothing.

I can't see anything too big happening back there atm..If it was so major why is it being hinted on now, but wasn't included with the 2014 video earlier last season.

Ah well...

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I hope it's not more cottages!

MaverickLaunch said:
I hope it's not more cottages!

Same here.

But some people might enjoy having a larger selection of new, modern options to stay at when visiting the park. 1st the Breakers renovation, now possibly this...

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Cottages do generate a lot more revenue than campsites.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Pete, I would tend to disagree with that statement, for a couple reasons.

1. They take up a lot more space than a campsite (ie, a given area could fit more campsites than cottages)

2. They do rent for about double per night, however, there's a lot higher operating expense (maid service, laundry, higher utilities, repairs, etc)

3. The up-front cost of the unit and having it set is considerable. I'm in this line of business, and you'd be surprised what one of those things cost, delivered and set.

4. I'm not sure, but I suspect their occupancy levels is lower than the campsites, which are full most of the summer and completely full each and every HW.

Of course, neither of us can be sure because we don't have all the numbers, but that's my gut feel, having stayed in both and having spent a large chunk of my life back in that part of the park.

The closing of the electric only circle this season completely changes our summer plans :sadface:. We usually spend at least 8 weekends there per season (for the last 4 years). This year I'm guessing we'll probably only camp there twice in the FHU section, it's a little too rich for our blood over there (not saying there isn't value, its just not for us). It sucks because we already bought our passes in anticipation of our camping season up there.

I've really got my fingers crossed that they're just going to totally update the area with a new shower house (I've heard the current one really sucks) and maybe water hookups on the sites. Hoping they don't go full blown hookups/concrete pads like the other section. We usually travel in a group of 3-4 campers and really enjoy the atmosphere the circle provides when we're there. Hoping we find something out this weekend.

Last edited by tmilicia,

Pete is correct. The cabin and cottage success was one of the last, big happy surprises under the Kinzel era. I have heard that there was an intent to expand on that concept and into the Circle B area where it is still "wooded" and that would make a logical choice even though it would be to the detriment of "campers".

A pie in the sky thought: Circle B would make a great location for a large parking deck structure. By stacking parking you could make some significant room around Soak City and even at Breakers. If the Bon Air section is coming down (which would not surprise me) then eliminating the parking from that area would open up possibilities for a better footprint for a replacement wing for Breakers. There was some preliminary talk of a parking deck back in the 90s that really didn't go anywhere. Maybe that is being revisited.

My fantasy project: Take down Bon Air and get rid of the parking around that side of Breakers. Add a new wing to the hotel that includes an indoor water park concept similar to Castaway Bay that could tie in to the east side of Soak City. Hotel guests could float out of the indoor hotel water park in the summer and transition right into Soak City. Bon Air would go from the "value" segment of Breakers to the premium segment.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Yeah my plans are messed up now too. I hope it doesn't look just like the other side when it is done. I just have a popup. I don't have a use for the other hookups. I prefer camping in a popup because it still has the tent feel of being outside. Mine does have heat and AC though. Trailers are to much like being in a building to me.

If they build cabins with pull thoughs in the middle like the other side I wonder if they will allow popups to double up on a site.

Flooding has been a problem in that area for years. The main reason why no tents are permitted.

I'd like to see a new place to stay similar to Disney's Wilderness Lodge constructed in the remaining camp circle. It could be designed with a smaller foot print and go more vertical. Rooms on both sides can feature balconies, overlooking SC/CP on the south and lake view on the north.

From what I have been reading here it almost looks like that Cedar Point is closing down parts of the camper village. Now I am wondering why are they doing that. I know there has been some speculations on why. I have seen the campground full most of the time. This going to make for some unhappy campers. I hope they are not going to do what Kings Island has done with their campground, removing it. Sometimes I campout at camper village. But most of time I campout at KOA Bayshores campground because it is cheaper & you get discounts with a KOA value kampcard. Where abouts Cedar Point does not offer discounts for platinum season passholder when they stay at camper village.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service