Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

So they pounded the sheet piles flush, then backfilled the entire weir with aggregate, including the part in the water, then put down flat foundations for heavy equipment. Perhaps they filled with aggregate because that can be removed with comparative ease when they are done with the heavy equipment? Have they filed any permits with the relevant authorities to fill in bits of the lagoon? Even though the lagoons are man-made they are now considered protected wetlands and so the park has to get permission to fill them in and must restore equivalent wetlands elsewhere (such as Sheldon Marsh IIRC). Although it's possible that they have a few cubic yards to spare from an earlier permit; not sure how that works.

When they're done, I wonder if they'll take the sheet pilings out, or just leave them.

For the record, I have no idea what they're doing, and unlike those guys on YouTube I'm not afraid to admit it.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Another legitimate reason for the station being removed is the re-routing of the queue, which will most-certainly happen.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

The top edge of the triangular coffer structure is several feet below the ground level as can be seen by the slope of the gang plank down into the area being discussed. My current thought is that this is only the early stages of a support structure. I believe that deep holes will be drilled into each of the corners to create piers or steel piles will be driven to bedrock. Then a form will be created to ground level and a slab foundation will be poured on top of the piers.

Last edited by jo linn,

First time poster. I've enjoyed reading everyone's banter and insight on this project.

I agree with this still setting up to be a support structure. We knew ID would be ready by opening day or close to (I believe this was confirmed?). It would make a lot of sense to build this cofferdam and let the dirt settle - no pun intended - before major work is done over there. Much easier you would think to set markers in dirt than in a swamp.

If it were for the stated lagoon maintenance, it seems awfully involved for just that. Let's not forget the fact this triangle is pointing and directly in line for a theoretical swing launch.

Much can be said on the contrary given the filling of this thing throwing everyone for a loop. My point I guess is that if this makes the swing launch theory inconclusive, it certainly doesn't confirm it's strictly work on the lagoon.

I thought one of the goals of redesigning TTD was to have better capacity. A swing launch on a single track sounds like a capacity nightmare unless you introduce even more complex transfer track mechanism, which would most likely come with even more downtime. I think TTD will remain a continuous circuit coaster.

This is where my launch from the reverse side thought has merit. Launch from brake side, once over the top hat , you can do the silly back and forth stuff up new feature to new heights while the cueing of the next launch sequence is prepping. If this back and forth stuff is part of the main sequence it doesn't work from a capacity thing. Thinking out loud, welcome to criticism.

^^Not sure where you got the thought that capacity had anything do with the redesign. The only apparent reason was the accident. Maybe you could assume reliability and capacity but I wouldn't claim those as stated goals. In retrospect, I don't think there were ever any stated goals.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

^Not sure how you wouldnt think capacity is a major design concern in anything Cedar Fair does

A swing launch doesn't inherently mean less capacity. And literally anything would have better capacity than Dragster even on it best days. Which were few and far between. Also, if you read the exchange which wasn't directed at you, maybe you'd realize the context. I never said it wasn't a consideration. I just wondered where that commenter got the impression that was "one of the goals".

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

Unless the cycle depended on a train clearing the back and forth swing cycle as apposed to putting that swing cycle on the other side of the tophat such that the switch track launch prep could be done at the same time...

That would still be better capacity than the old Dragster. If it ran reliably. Also, it wouldn't matter what side you launch from. It still couldn't launch until the the train completed the circuit. A switch track would accomplish the same goal in capacity either way.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

no sh*T sherlock that has been my point

Jo Linn, eat a Snickers.

Read it again after the edit. You're not making a valid argument. That must be why you're at the "ad hominen" stage.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

propose an idea of your own in terms of a swing launch and capacity

I'm not making the argument, you are. Like I said, it doesn't matter what side you launch from. You can't launch until the other train is done. A switch track would accomplish the goal of being ready for the next launch. My original comment, which again, wasn't even directed at you, was how he assumed capacity was one the reasons for the redesign. It ran terribly for 20 years. Why worry about capacity now? But you definitely got super mad about something that didn't concern you. And I find that hilarious.

Joe

You can certainly prep the next launch if it is on the launch track, while the other train is doing its thing on the other side of the top hat reaching new heights or doing a token roll back. Why worry about it now after 20 years,... that' good planning.

Last edited by jo linn,

Ok, sure. 👍 Context is hard, huh? I never said it doesn't matter. I wondered why it would be a reason to do it twenty years later. Oh right, it isn't the reason.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

xtremecoasters:

I thought one of the goals of redesigning TTD was to have better capacity.

Maybe to people posting in discussion forums, but not by the park.

That said, it's safe to assume it got mentioned once or twice.

Promoter of fog.

xtremecoasters:A swing launch on a single track sounds like a capacity nightmare unless you introduce even more complex transfer track mechanism, which would most likely come with even more downtime. I think TTD will remain a continuous circuit coaster.

I think you may be over hyping the "complexity" of a high speed switch track/swing launch. As far as I can tell, the rides that utilize them are a bajillion times more reliable than Dragster's bajillion sensors and super complex hydraulic launch. I honestly don't think capacity is going to be worse with a swing launch/transfer. I trust the engineers that do this for a living and who have considered all the possible paths to improving the ride.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service