News: Cedar Fair plans for 2022 include return of Cedar Point events, Frontier Town restaurant

Well, the infield trees there are pretty mature, so it stands to reason that some utilities back there are pretty old, so if they're building a shiny new restaurant, and need to infringe on Antique Cars' plot to do so, it makes sense that a thorough overhaul of the area is in order.

In any case it's pretty shocking to see how many trees have been removed. But on the bright side, it will be nice to see some improvements to the area.

Brandon

Ugh! This area is (was?) very scenic with some of the most mature trees in the park. I'm going to be bummed if the park destroys it for a restaurant, especially when the existing Frontier Town restaurants/shops accross the midway seem underutilized.

As for the ride, I never personally preferred Antique Cars over Cadillac Cars, but I know many people who did. Luckily, I rode Antique Cars one last time this August/September.

Thrills Around the Corner!

It’s Cedar Fair. We KNOW they theyt going to destroy all of those beautiful mature trees in the area of the antique cars.

Frontiertown was the nicest part of the park because of the trees. No more The entire Park is going to be a concrete eyesore before it’s over Well at least their is Frontier Trail for now

Everytime they remove anything that has trees around it, they destroy all the trees. A lot of Kings Island has been deforested since they took over

The company HATES shade. They don’t even shade a majority of their queue lines. They love to keep their cheap season pass customers hot and miserable.

Last edited by coaster5,

Weird how the same people that were sure (and eventually proved correct) that WT was being removed and said those that didn't see the obvious signs were holding onto false hope are the same that are given obvious signs about Antique Cars and cling to their point of view that it is being reconfigured. It's a hilarious 180°. 🤣

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

With judicious selection of the tree species they plant to presumably replaced what's been removed, I feel like things will grow back in faster than people think. 2007 seems like an eternity away, but I just think of how the area around Maverick looks now versus when the ride was new.

That and without knowing specifically what trees were removed, they very well could have been towards the end of their lifespans as well, if they were fruit trees or otherwise trees that wouldn't have the lifespan of say, an oak or larger pine.

I guess I'm just saying I feel like I've heard this same complaint about trees with pretty much every new addition since I first started lurking here in the GTTP days, and is the peninsula less shaded as a whole in comparison? Sure, but honestly, I feel like for better or for worse the precedent was set in the coaster count arms race era.

That being said, next I feel like I'm going to hear about how the drinks stalls in frontier town are charging more than the front of the park because of all the heat exhausted gold pass holders that are apparently going to be back there now.

coaster5 said:
It’s Cedar Fair. We KNOW they theyt going to destroy all of those beautiful mature trees in the area of the antique cars.

Slow down, take a deep breath (and use spellcheck and coherent grammar). I'm as in touch with my inner Lorax as anyone, but the unfortunate fact is that large, mature trees become a safety issue at a certain point.

vwhoward said:

...are given obvious signs about Antique Cars and cling to their point of view that it is being reconfigured. It's a hilarious 180°.

I don't see anyone taking such a strong stance that it definitely is or isn't being removed, merely that either outcome is reasonable at this point. And it's also a poor comparison considering the folks who were suggesting WT was being reconfigured, reimagined, etc., were doing so after the park had announced the ride's removal.

Brandon

Keep Cedar Point Weird should be the mantra here. I mean, in any other world, at any other park, the Antiques would stay and Cadillacs would go. It makes the most sense thematically.
Having said that, the preservationist in me would insist that Cadillacs stay while the younger Antiques take their leave in the name of progress.
I’m a big fan of Turnpike rides in general, and I was hurt when Cedar Point’s Turnpike was removed.
In the meantime I’ll be trying to picture what FT will look like with yet another building and one less attraction. I’d argue that a new restaurant concept back there would be welcome, but I’d still say the smarter placement would be in the area occupied by the Frontier Carousel building and the Frontier Inn. Useful, but out of the way. And the cars, with their thoughtful sight lines and mature trees could stay.

djDaemon said:

I don't see anyone taking such a strong stance that it definitely is or isn't being removed, merely that either outcome is reasonable at this point.

Well, only an hour after you made this post Fox 8 posted pictures from their chopper of it already removed. Safe to say its fate is sealed now.

mgou58 said:

Yep. Pretty sure Fox confirmed the removal of antique cars; there’s not much left of the ride.

Fox 8 video:

https://fox8.com/news/cedar-point-changes-skyfox-captures-something...-the-park/

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Conan aside, in addition to my previous comments, what RCMAC said.

I don't get it, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Yes, it seems like it's being removed. But the aerial picture confirms what we already knew via the Instagram Story. And considering the park announced the removal of Witches Wheel, it's not unreasonable to reserve judgement. I'll be convinced by either an announcement, or when everything - station, bridge, etc. - is gone.

Brandon

Starting to sound like the Wicked Twister denial group lol

From the aerial video, the vertical infrastructure is still there: the station and the covered bridge. If they are completely demolishing it, why be so careful around these things?

Are there next generation car rides out on the market that CP may be installing as Antique Cars 2.0?

The station might make for some nice covered outdoor seating around an entry way. (assuming that's where the restaurant's going) Not sure about the bridge and the pond, but it would be nice to keep them around as scenery just for nostalgia's sake. The gardening team could probably have fun in that area.

We already know that Cedar Point likes to reincorporate the leftover bones of previous attractions in their new attractions (especially in Frontier Town!) in the hopes of providing some diehard fans with an emotional connection to what is new, so it seems perfectly reasonable that whatever is going in here would use any existing structures from the Cars to do the same thing here.

Dvo, get your drone up there for updates!

RCMAC said:

I’m a big fan of Turnpike rides in general, and I was hurt when Cedar Point’s Turnpike was removed.

I was more hurt while riding Turnpike Cars than I was when they were removed.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

My reflexive thought was how rare it is for the park to not announce a family/thrill ride or roller coaster removal ahead of time in recent history.

All I can recollect are WildCat (2011), which was surprising, to me at least, and Shoot the Rapids (2015), which was hardly a surprise given its history and long SBNO status.

WWL (2005), Demon Drop (2009), PWE (2011), Space Spiral & DT (2012), MS (2016), Witches Wheel (2018), and WT were all announced ahead of time.

Of course Turnpike Cars' removal wasn't announced ahead of time to my recollection, so on the other hand this should not be surprising. But I guess what is surprising is that, as others have mentioned, if you have three "old timey" car driving rides, removing Antique Cars makes the least sense thematically.

But I will say, that's a fantastic location for a big restaurant.

Brandon

We know projects can be delayed but they can also be sped up too. Using the closure announcement idea, they could have planned for the attraction to open next spring with a closure announcement at some point but whatever project it is attached too could have been green lit early. Now before someone talks about the 5-year plan and how my example couldn't possibly work, it isn't something that is set in stone and even major multimillion dollar projects can fit into the plan outside of the overall long term goal. Or the park just didn't care about telling people. That is also an option.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service