Soak City Announcement on

Good idea. This gets my vote.

It doesn't need to feature all the animated figures, but I like the idea of the flume weaving through the caverns and caves.

http://thrillgeek.com/2015/08/kings-island-announces-soak-city-enha...-for-2016/
Kings Island's Soak City improvement for this year. What's the likelihood that they would just copy this whole complex as part of a Cedar Point Soak City expansion?

They would absolutely do that. Why not?

The Cedar Fair parks have plenty of duplicate rides between parks, so that's no big deal, and water parks offer even fewer options for types of adventures. They must repeat.
Plus, you never know, they may have signed a deal with the vendor for multiple slide complexes. BOGO.
And I haven't been to KI SC in a while but I can't imagine the new slides aren't getting lines. Those trap door slides are the rage everywhere these days and that addition would serve to bring CP SC somewhat up to speed.

Let's just hope they didn't have a plan to build the world's tallest slide, cause that would be an immediate re-think.

I think the world's tallest slide in a Der Stuka / Summit Plummet style would be fine. But as a master blaster would be very ill conceived.

Yes we waited a bit for the trap door slide and the four-man funnel tube slide at KIs SC.

I've posted elsewhere on this site, on this topic, that I think 2018 will bring the opening of RMC Streak, and a new extended midway/back gate. That will leave 2017's major addition as the expanded SC, and a dedicated SC/CP gate where the back gate is currently. I think that there is a chance a temporary back gate for Lighthouse Point and Sandcastle Suites guests (and those parking back there to enter CP at the rear) could be built near Slingshot (and where I think they will be relocating Ripcord) just for 2017's access. Then, when 2018 rolls around, a larger, permanent and prominent back entrance will be built in that area, entering the new extended midway.

Now, do I think an RMC Streak in 2017 (sans the extended midway) is possible? Yes, I think it's possible. Heck, I'd be ecstatic for that! But I personally think that 2018 is more likely, and that much like GateKeeper and Valravn before it, the addition of RMC Streak will include the renovation/enhancement of the entire area around it, including an updated entrance. I've seen people question the need for such an entrance, and my reasoning is that with the removal of entry into CP from the rear for the LP and SS guests, there will need to be another entry anyway, plus, the addition of RMC Streak will draw a lot more attention to the back of the park, and getting more GP guests back there, will help balance out the park in terms of crowds, and also prevent stampedes of people from rushing back there upon park opening. Granted, there are reasons as well why I could be wrong about the new rear entrance, but it's a strong hunch that I have. I think the biggest reason that wouldn't happen, would be concerns about there not being enough parking back there to meet the increased demand that both an expanded SC, AND an official back entrance will cause. This is a valid point, and admittedly, there isn't a lot of room to expand back there. However, if the Challenge Golf is removed as well, for use in the Soak City expansion, and half of the space created by Ripcord's removal and the previous Go Kart's space is utilized for new parking lot, that's a good number of added parking spaces.

Obviously, this is (mostly) all speculation, but it's where my thoughts have been leaning for a while now. Time will tell, I guess, but nothing I've postulated is completely outside the realm of logical reason, looking at all the variables...

DILravn said:
I think that there is a chance a temporary back gate for Lighthouse Point and Sandcastle Suites guests (and those parking back there to enter CP at the rear) could be built near Slingshot (and where I think they will be relocating Ripcord) just for 2017's access. Then, when 2018 rolls around, a larger, permanent and prominent back entrance will be built in that area, entering the new extended midway...

There hasn't been a gate back there for 50 years. If one is in the plans, it would likely be a permanent fixture the day it's built (rather than something temporary for a year only to be replaced right away). I'd love an entrance to be built in the back simply for quick access to Frontier Town and Trail. However, another entrance means more staff (ticket sales office, attendants taking tickets/passes, attendants hand stamping, and security check staff). I don't know if enough foot traffic is available back there to justify it.
But i could be wrong (and I hope I am).

With all of the cabins built on Lighthouse Point the last 10 years or so there very well may be.

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

LunaD858 said:

DILravn said:
I think that there is a chance a temporary back gate for Lighthouse Point and Sandcastle Suites guests (and those parking back there to enter CP at the rear) could be built near Slingshot (and where I think they will be relocating Ripcord) just for 2017's access. Then, when 2018 rolls around, a larger, permanent and prominent back entrance will be built in that area, entering the new extended midway...

There hasn't been a gate back there for 50 years. If one is in the plans, it would likely be a permanent fixture the day it's built (rather than something temporary for a year only to be replaced right away). I'd love an entrance to be built in the back simply for quick access to Frontier Town and Trail. However, another entrance means more staff (ticket sales office, attendants taking tickets/passes, attendants hand stamping, and security check staff). I don't know if enough foot traffic is available back there to justify it.
But i could be wrong (and I hope I am).

Uhhh.... There is a gate back there right now. Whether it's considered the Magnum gate, or Soak City gate, it essentially functions as a "back gate". I agree, that the most likely scenario is a permanent gate from Day 1. However, given that I think a new gate would open in conjunction with the RMC Streak, and also that the current "back gate" will become a dedicated Soak City/Cedar Point gate next year. we could be looking at a year with no back of park access, if indeed they don't construct a temporary back entrance. When the new coaster, and a back entrance near it open, I have a feeling they'll have plenty of foot traffic back there to justify it, and like I said, it will serve to balance out crowd flow in the park.

I think Luna assumed you were talking about a 5th gate, in addition to the resort gate. That idea has been floated recently, given that there are presumably some changes coming to the entire area (MS, Challenge Park, SC, Resort Gate, etc.).

If you're talking about there being a temporary Resort Gate, I don't see the advantage. Why spend money building a temporary gate? Just do the SC work and Resort Gate work all at once and be done with it. It's far more likely that any new gate will be tied to SC's expansion, rather than whatever is going on with MS.

Brandon

Yes I thought you wanted a fifth gate to come in near the Mean Streak/Maverick/ somewhere north of the Gemini. Like djDaemon said, it'll all be one big project.

Tony just said that the announcement will take place on Instagram at 10AM.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Oh... I thought that was a 16...

CoasterKyle1121 said:
Tony just said that the announcement will take place on Instagram at 10AM.

It's after 10 am, nothing has happened on Instagram...

EDIT: Just re-read Tony's tweet. He said it happens on Instagram at 10:00 am. Thursday.

Dang it, at first I didn't see the Thursday part and I got excited... :(

Last edited by CP FLYIN,

RMC Mean Streak: 215ft Tall, 75mph, 4 inversions. 2020)ALL BLACK B&M Flying Coaster on Millennium Island. 2023 or 2025) Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter like Takabisha

The announcement is Thursday.

Brandon

Is school starting soon? Please?

At the park this week. Staying til Thursday now for the announcement .

Signs going up over the park, interestingly enough they covered up the sign to the resorts by resort gate with a giant flip flop.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Wow. I would say that something is afoot.

Any picture of this giant flip flop?

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service