Bon Aire section and other exterior changes to Hotel Breakers

It's still going to have pools. One outdoor and one indoor. Breakers East pool is staying.

I definitely think the outdoor one at Breakers East will stay. However, am I think only one that thinks the indoor pool is in a rather awkward location?

Right across from the elevators to the tower where half of the guests stay? Yeah, that's awful.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^ Typical answer...

I'm talking about being across from TGIFridays, and away from the East wing of the hotel (where the other half of the guests stay). And nobody said it was awful, rather awkward.

Breakers has a rather awkward layout to begin with. I think the location of the indoor pool is in the best spot they had to work with. The only location that would be more centralized within the layout of the hotel would be near the Rotunda, but then that would be farther from the tower section.

It's great that it is across from tgifridays, Makes it very easy to get a drink while at the pool.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

That's why we're friends, Pete. You understand what's important.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I always thought the Tower section was awkward and didn't really fit with the rest of the hotel. Felt a lot more like a quick way to add a bunch of rooms for more revenue, without taking the time to design it to actually fit in.

I think one of the issues with Breakers is the fact that it wasn't built to nearly the same sort of build quality as your railway hotels a la Chateau Lake Louise or the Mount Washington Hotel, and that there's only so much you can do in that sense if you want the facility to stay modern.

That being said, it would've helped if there had been some sort of a proper master plan when they were adding East and the Tower, since I agree that they both seem like they were sort of shoehorned in with no regards to how they fit the hotel or the grounds, Tower especially.

And yet I'm really not sure how you revert that short of completely rebuilding Breakers. Depending on the level of renovations that they're doing I would almost advocate in the long-term, drawing up some sort of proper master plan that will restore some symmetry to the grounds and bring it upmarket a bit, and plan on knocking down East and building something on the scale of Tower, just better laid out. But I'm not sure if the market is there for that, even long-term.

godsonsafari said:
Right now the only worries I have are A) they still won't renovate the whole of the rotunda for guest rooms for some ungodly reason

I never saw this post until now...But, we're told that we're going to have amazing views from the 4th and 5th floors of the rotunda also, so they should definitely be receiving a renovation as well.

The only thing that interests me about the rotunda rooms on the 4th and 5th floors, is that the rooms are right there off of the walk way. So, will guests staying at Breakers, who usually bring drinks with their family in friends in the rotunda, be asked to leave at a certain time for courtesy of the guests sleeping? Or will the Surf Lounge be closed at an early time as well due to its location? I'm excited to see the results.

So I was reading over this on the CP website...

https://www.cedarpoint.com/places-to-stay/hotel-breakers-2015#panel1-5

...and noticed this, "Fourth and fifth floor rotunda rooms with spectacular views"

So, how exactly can they change these views?

By making them floorless of course.

Seriously though, where did anything say anything about a change in the view? Rooms on the 4th and 5th floors will have spectacular views because they are high up. It's the same view there is now if you climb to the 5th floor of the Rotunda. The difference is that the rooms up there will be guest rooms again, that area is off limits now.

Last edited by Pete,

Ahhh I see. Why are they off limits now?

Because they're inhabited by employees, and not even remotely ADA compliant.

I wonder if they considered a rooftop restaurant on the tower. The views up there are stunning.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

That would be wonderful, I've often thought myself that they should put a restaurant or a bar/nightclub up there.

That would be great to have a restaurant up there. I have always liked the California Grill at Disney World for the view and to have something like that at CP would be a welcomed addition.

The fourth and fifth floors aren't inhabited by employees anymore. They just sit empty, dusty, and disgusting. I think it's sad they waited this long to fix up the rotunda for guests to stay on those top floors!

It will be interesting to see what they do to the rotunda rooms as they are pretty small now. Not even sure if they have bathrooms. I think a typical room is like the room they use for an emergency exit on the third floor. Just a small square room with a small closet. They will at least need to bust the walls down and make one room out of two and add a bath.

e x i t english said:

That being said, I think the Bon Air section is getting the axe. I'm quite confident that it will, because it's not ADA compliant, and I think getting it up to standards is going to cost more than razing the structure.

You can quote me and tell me I'm wrong if the building doesn't come down with the hotel updates, but I'm pretty confident that it will.

I have to agree. I know its a nostalgic part of CP but its quite the liability anymore. My gut says its gone soon, real soon.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service