Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

I think someone has touched on this already...

But what was the very first ride to operate at Cedar Point?

I think I saw a comment about an eyesore on the beach. Personally, I think it sounds like there might be another I-soar coming to the beach...

No, I know nothing. Seriously.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

This is certainly an interesting find, but keep in mind last year the website name of Whyte Lightning was purchased, I don't remember if the patents to the name were or not though.

Could it be possible that Cedar Fair has just purchased this name to make us believe that it is indeed a Star Flyer? I don't really think this is the case as I do believe that name patents are not too cheep, but it still could be a possibility.

R.I.P. Mr. Scott

It's possible, but unlikely. Take a look at this similar thread...

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/17756.aspx

Maverick wasn't announced officially until September 6th.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

realmadrid311 said:
Wow looks like screamscape hit the nail on the head this time.

I hope you're being sarcastic... :)

Screamscape's predictions:
17-May-2010: wooden coaster
7-July-2010: Intamin coaster
9-July-2010: flat ride or wooden coaster
15-July-2010: Intamin star flyer clone or wooden coaster or boardwalk

So, unless CP is getting a 2 coasters, a flat ride and a boardwalk all in one year, I'd say that Screamscape is just doing what they do - tossing stuff at the wall until something... anything sticks.

Brandon

True djDaemon, but the bottom line is I read about the Starflyer on Screamscape on July 15th. There was no mention of this EXACT ride on Pointbuzz before that date...in fact, we were all surprised. Screamscape did a good job this time...give them credit for that. I would not consider it "tossing stuff at a wall" but rather continuously refining the rumors they get in. After all, it all comes from sources (some good, some bad). But, in this case, I think Screamscape did a great job!

The point is that if you take enough guesses, you're bound to get one of them right. That's not "refining the rumors". That's "posting any rumor imaginable and counting on covering enough ground so that when the ride is finally announced, you can pretend you knew it all along".

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

All I know is that if it is a tower swing, then I have been expecting it at Cedar Point since 2006. No idea when or where, but I've been expecting one since 2006. :)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

djDaemon said:

Screamscape's predictions:

17-May-2010: wooden coaster
7-July-2010: Intamin coaster
9-July-2010: flat ride or wooden coaster
15-July-2010: Intamin star flyer clone or wooden coaster or boardwalk

Those rumors/predictions are consistent with every other coaster site I visit with the exception of the Star Flyer. Ever since screamscape posted it first, a ride I'd never even heard of, has been the leading theory on every other site(coasterbuzz, kicentral, coasterforce etc..). Yeah it took Lance a few tries but he still got it first.

Last edited by realmadrid311,

Well it looks like this thing is a done deal, eh?

Looks like we know what kind of ride it will be, where it will go, even the name, which seems to indicate the height/size will be around 400 ft.

If you can get that kind of credit for that many misses, I'm obviously in the wrong business!

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Post.aspx?id=417169

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Same here. If I made even 1/100th that many mistakes, I'd be flipping burgers.

Brandon

If Strato is really in reference to 400 ft., I wonder if they are going after the record for tallest flat, which I believe is still Giant Drop at 415 ft.

I'm hearing it's only going to be about 300 feet tall.

Would you like to divulge the source?

I would be surprised if "strato" is anything more than a word part that incites thoughts of height, as opposed to being in reference to any specific height (i.e. 400 ft).

Brandon

I kind of agree. It's just that CP and Intamin both coin Dragster as the first ever stratacoaster.

200, 300, 400...whatever it is I'll probably still need adult diapers. :)

DjDaemon: you are wrong on this one dude. So what you are saying is that by Screamscape "floating" ideas out, they by luck happened to guess a huge tower swing, when no other park in the U.S. has one????? That's pretty amazing then. I don't think a star flyer would have even been a thought if they just "floated" ideas out there without sources.

The site never said CP was definitely getting a wooden coaster next year, it was simply a source report that could be true or false. It's presented that way. Screamscape is no different than a sports website that predicts trades or mock drafts....some sources are correct, many are wrong. It's entertaining. It's fun. They don't claim to be experts. Many times they are wrong, but many times they are right. I've been following that site for 10 years now and, yes, they often refine rumors to get to the bottom line. That's what they just did with CP. They reported a star flyer before I read it anywhere else online. Give them some credit for this one.

REALY

net said:
So what you are saying is that by Screamscape "floating" ideas out, they by luck happened to guess a huge tower swing...

Yes, exactly. Screamscape takes any rumor they hear, read or think up, and posts them. Which is fine, because as you allude to, that's their "job". But it's not like it takes any amount of skill to be able to regurgitate EVERY SINGLE RUMOR they hear. That you're trying to attribute their getting one of 4 guesses for 2010's addition to skill is funny. What about the other guesses they were way off on?

...they often refine rumors to get to the bottom line. That's what they just did with CP. They reported a star flyer before I read it anywhere else online. Give them some credit for this one.

What? They "refined" the possibilities? As of mid-July, they were still guessing it was going to be a Starflyer... or a wooden coaster... or a boardwalk. That's THREE guesses. How is that a refinement from their earlier guesses? It's actually the opposite of a refinement, since at least with previous guesses, they were sticking with one rumor at a time.

The last guess Screamscape came up with contained 3 guesses, only one of which was correct. That's 33%. Last I checked, that's a failing grade. And that "grade" doesn't even take into account their many other misses over the years.

What you call "refining", I call "repeating every rumor until the announcement".

Brandon

I watched the Star Flyer thing unfold. Screamscape suggested a Star Flyer by Intamin, Tony posted all the "Fun" stuff in the blog, and DJ tied together Fun with Funtime, which specializes in the aforementioned Star Flyer by Screamscape.

Everyone locked on to the idea because it fit all of the hints by big Dick.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service