Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

okk how do we not know the name stratosoar is for another park.... for all we know this could be a name for a ride going in at kings island or knotts....

Last edited by inversionsarebetter,

The fact is, we *really* don't know squat.

But it's nice to think we have it all figured out. Remember, there are really only two secrets in the amusement industry--

#1: What is Cedar Point's next unannounced attraction
#2: What time does Kennywood close tonight

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

RideWarrior18 said:

Also, Funtime Group (the people who design and sell the StarFlyer) lists a maximum height of 96 meters (about 314 feet.) That's far shy of soaring in the stratosphere (assuming CP considers the stratosphere at 400+ ft.)

I'll throw some ideas out there: Vekoma I-Ride (similar to Soarin' at Disney's California Adventure and EPCOT) or a Huss Shot'N Drop Maxi (Link). I know Intamin is rumored to be out of the question, but they have: the Intamin Giant Drop, the Intamin Gyro Drop, or a simulator.

Just trying to throw some new ideas out there. Try not to destroy them too quickly.

Not calling you out, don't take it that way, but if you look closer on the funtime site you'll see there's also a 117 meter starflyer, which is around 380 feet or so. That was a good point someone brought up though about the trademark name, it very well could be for another Cedar Fair park, we just don't know, but the teen hints, history hints and so on really seem to tie into the info that's on the funtime site in the technical specs section.

The thing is about the Giant Drop is we have Power Tower. I know we had DD at the same time but it seems odd to build a higher version of something similar. Honestly a 400+ foot freefall drop would be great though, especially from a stationary position, but if the stratosoar is really for CP then the "soar" part sounds more like a flying/swinging motion rather than a drop.

Also, has anyone taken the time to look at the patent drawing on the funtimes site? Obviously it's a preliminary concept to an extent, but it's not seats, it's laying facedown, bird position. O.o

80+ coasters and counting

RideMan said:

Funny thing is, I don't know what business Walt is in these days (apart from hosting this place)...but I do remember what he studied in college, which makes that a kind of an interesting comment... :)

I'm in the online business all around ... but when I was a prognosticator, my average was much better. :)

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

RideMan said:

#2: What time does Kennywood close tonight

That made me laugh :)

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

On Sunday they will open the box and it will be a 400 ft flying ace snoopy ride. ;) You guys are cracking me up. I went through and looked at some other patent info and not all rides seem to be filed for as early as Maverick was. Shoot the Rapids was not filed for until 3-31-10. So I would say that it is possible that the Strato ride is for the coming year.

No coaster will ever be too fast or too tall!

I know they wont get one but I wish CP would get a flying coaster. And that name would be perfect(:. StratoSOAR. Soar like your soaring over the beach like a bird(:.

AmazingMaverick(: said:
I know they wont get one but I wish CP would get a flying coaster. And that name would be perfect(:. StratoSOAR. Soar like your soaring over the beach like a bird(:.

Soaring along the beach and the shoreline would be amazing in a flying coaster. Unfortunately all things are pointing to starflyer.

Personally, I hate rides like that. I have a phobia of hanging and dangling on things so the Sky Ride, Ripcord, and Ferris Wheel are the scariest rides at Cedar Point. So naturally a giant freakin 400 foot swing dangling by a few ropes scares the crap out of me and not in a thrilling way.

I'll ride everything else all day and love it.

Kyle2154 said:
If it is a 64 seat model and strato refers to some incredible height, it's going to be massive (wide and tall)...it's gonna have to be like the John Holmes of Star Flyers.

Well, it being tall sort of goes without saying. But I'm not convinced it would need to be "massively" wide. Rides like Space Spiral and Power Tower have a very small footprint, relative to their height.

Brandon

Just look at the other starflyers. They do not take up much space at all (width wise).

Promoter of fog.

Right, and even if the ride's height was increased significantly to over 400 feet, it is doubtful that it would look much different than the existing ones based on the design. At worst the tower would need to have a greater diameter, resulting in maybe a few feet being added to its footprint in any direction and, one would think, more chairs.

Still, I know most signs point to a Starflyer, but I cannot see Cedar Point installing such a ride. According to Kinzel the announcement is being made in conjunction with the start of season pass sales for 2011. I cannot see this type of ride generating any bump in season pass sales, so why tie the two together?

As for Stratosoar, it could mean anything. There are several other CF parks in line for major capital expenditures this offseason and that name could be associated with one of those. I know most do not agree with my opinion on this matter, but I still say a wooden roller coaster on the beach makes the most sense for CP right now. It has been 4 years since the last coaster, 19 years since the last wooden coaster, and a nice wooden twister will help revitalize that area of the park and send Kinzel out on a high note. I stick with my original call. Gravity group wooden twister.

As far as I know we are getting something like 'Stratosoar',,,It's a Prototype,, so who knows at this point,,But Cedar Point doesnt have to file to many Height Restrictions as there other parks do ,,,BUT they do need to file with the city of Sandusky for building permits,,, I'm waiting for that now...Unless I call people LOL,, I havent heard anything other than Land Surveys on the the Beach area (Oceana) being completed.....We will know more in 2 weeks, Season pass sales start ,,,(They HAVE To)

Corkscrew Headache said:
No wait! Got it. Got it. A three times sized replica of the red dressed woman that used to be on Schwabinchen. How you like them apples? ;)

Can't believe no one commented on this. I believe the correct question would have been - How you like them melons?

How about a wooden coaster called "Wish in One Hand..."?

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

If it is a Starflyer, I would probably ride it once on opening day.(assuming it opens on opening day) After that it would just be another spinny ride that I can't handle.

Let's Get Weird.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
I cannot see this type of ride generating any bump in season pass sales, so why tie the two together?

So trying to sell season passes with no new attraction would be better? Even if the new attraction isn't a blockbuster, it still will help to sell passes. It gives them something to talk about for next year.

SuperSonicGoalie said:

As for Stratosoar, it could mean anything. There are several other CF parks in line for major capital expenditures this offseason and that name could be associated with one of those.

You're right that it could mean anything and go to any CF park. However, it "sounds" like a flat name, and it also "sounds" like the exact type of flat predicted for CP. I think that increases the chances greatly, much like the name "Maverick" fit with Frontier Town.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Im hoping for a new coaster. I think a wooden one on the beach would be cool. But if they used the name Stratosoar it would have to be Extremley tall. This is just my opinion.

Break Trims said:
How about a wooden coaster called "Wish in One Hand..."?

LOL :)

Brandon

Correct, I think season pass sales will remain flat if this ride is a 300 swing. Season passes are sold to a small gorup of core customers who often come to ride roller coasters. Hence the fact that extra ride time centers around the most popular roller coasters.

I know there has been much discussion of the need for new roller coasters and the potential increase in attendance, or lack thereof, after a roller coaster is installed. In the end, it is impossible for any of us to tell what the true effects are because there are too many variables. However, we can all see they have the longest lines, the most riders each season, and garner the majority of marketing attention. Would people line up to buy season passes to ride a 125 foot wooden twister on the beach? Maybe not. But don't you think there is a better chance of that than people lining up to ride a 300 foot swing?

At the very least I hope if it is a thrill ride that it is truly a thrill ride. I cannot count a Giant Swing clone as a thrill ride no matter how tall it is.

supersonicgoalie, what do you consider a thrill ride,

Although I may never get on a star flyer, because they look too dangerous, would that be thrilling if I did get on one?

If your scared, isn't that a thrill? Isn't that the point?

Rollercoasters are not thrilling to me, I relax and enjoy the ride. :)

GATEKEEPER-I came, I rode, I was mildly disappointed; until a second ride (rear left) put GateKeeper back on the...it's a nice ride list.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service