Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

djcarl said:
If this is true, I am sooo pooping next time on STR (if its running)

Umm... what?

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

I'm not seeing this present being the announcement either. Just odd as Lance basically says it is going to be.

"As predicted, this should be next year’s new attraction announcement"

Last edited by Kyle2154,

Well I could say it is going to be Knott's announcement for next year.

Doesn't mean I'm right or have a clue it just means I can post some garbage to the interwebs.

Last edited by JuggaLotus,

Goodbye MrScott

John

I dunno, he's making it sound like he is certain.

Last edited by Kyle2154,

And that's different from his other "rumors" how?

Brandon

(from an earlier post) I don't think there is room to put a kiddie coaster in Planet Snoopy anyway, unless they shrink the midway near the the Oceana Stadium.

^^Normally he gives himself an out, labeling something as just a rumor, etc...but when the main headline is "2011 Announcement Date" and he goes on to say that this Sunday the Snoopy present should be the 2011 announcement, we've all got to hold his feet to the fire a little more.

Especially when a lot of signs seem to indicate the announcement will NOT be this Sunday.

I really think you put way too much stock in parsing out his musings, Kyle. Not to say he is definitely wrong (or right), but just sayin'.

Brandon

RideWarrior18 said: They said that there is a special surprise for the kids in there, while supplies last, hinting at a little Snoopy keychain or something, not a 2011 announcement.

Maybe it's cookies? :-)

I love cookies! :)

From a logistics point of view, it would make sense to expand the Planet Snoopy section back to the beach, and take out OM and the old marine stadium. Putting in a major thrill ride adjacent to the little kids area would be pretty short sighted in terms of a master plan just in the crowd management perspective. PS has obviously been a good draw for CF because they have chosen Peanuts over SpongeBob, and the chain is expanding this theme (along with the Starlight light show) to all of it's parks to achieve more of the "family" market.

If the thrill ride for next year DK hints at actually becomes reality, the old DD location makes much more sense. It would be right at the main gate (think - curb appeal), and there are already tons of merchandise locations in the area (to capitalize on the bonus $ of t-shirts etc.).

While the concensus is that everyone wants a coaster - alas, that may be another Woodstock express in Planet Snoopy to keep the count even with Six Flags - at least for now.

If you look at the overall plan for CP my guess is that Soak City hasn't had any real improvements for almost 10 years - and that real estate only generates cash for about 3 months of the year while the main park almost doubles that (perhaps even less depending on the weather). CF could very easily relocate the Soak City slides elsewhere in the chain and use that land for the flyer, woodie, and mega high coasters in the future.

I think SC is far too valuable as a resort perk to ever go away (i.e. be relocated). Plus, the park can only accommodate so many big rides. Their maintenance budget would force them to replace rides before they'd need land bad enough to warrant moving SC.

Brandon

Have they really not given Soak City any major capital in 10 years? Wow, that does make you think they might be considering doing away with it. Or at least downsizing.

SC's reason for existence is to give resort guests something to do aside from the park itself. So long as people are filling the resorts and the water park, there's no need to add on to it. And no, I really doubt it's going away, so long as the resorts are still there.

Brandon

Someone should pickup a Snoopy keychain on the 8th and mail it to Lance with a note that says "New for 2011".

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

djDaemon said:
So long as people are filling the resorts and the water park, there's no need to add on to it....

That's one of the more shortsighted statements I've read in awhile. People are there so don't invest? A decade without any material capital? Just because we don't agree with something doesn't mean it isn't taking place... 10 years without funding is a red flag IMO.

The loss of revenue from closing Soak City would never be made up by increased revenue from a new coaster. Plus, Soak City is an incentive for hotel guests to stay an extra day.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Pete said:
The loss of revenue from closing Soak City would never be made up by increased revenue from a new coaster.

Well, there we go, case dismissed.

There's no way they would abandon Soak City. Cedar Point relies a great deal on its brand as a weekend destination. Moving it is an interesting thought given they still have some land for expansion off the penninsula according to their last 10k. In the end I agree that maintenance becomes an issue if Cedar Point does much more expansion and moving Soak City will cause logistical issues for travelers who value the convenience of CP, SC, and Challenege Park all in one place. That being said, they are running out of room, so if expansion without removal is an option they need to begin moving things. I would bet that parking would be moved off the penninsula before SC was moved.

We've all been over this running out of room thing again and again. If they moved parking off the penninsula, just where would they move it to? And then they would need a shuttle service or a monorail to get you to and from the park.

windixie06

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service