Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

^ Be in the space needle when my family talks me onto this thing, tell me how far my hurl flies :)

Corkscrew Headache said:
If this is, in fact, a Funtime Star Flyer, how does it bring back memories? Any ideas?

thats my thoughts. What about capacity? It would be very low making for very long wait times to ride a swing.

Tim Seydell said:
It will be really fun to see this thing from the space needle.

You'll be able to see it from Seattle?! Holy crap this thing is going to be huge! ;)

Looking forward to the announcement.

384 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Deathfearsnone said:
What about capacity? It would be very low making for very long wait times to ride a swing.

From the Funtime website:

http://www.funtime.com.au/data/specs2.htm

600 riders per hour does seem a touch low for what CP seems to like to crank out.

Now their height says max 96m, but the one in Vienna is 117m.

As far as memories, I remember seeing something somewhere in some very old photos of a swing ride on the beach that actually put riders in the water. Not sure if anyone who ever rode it would still even be around today, though. I'll see if I can find it again.

Last edited by Chase Gilbert,

About the history comment, 2 reasons, maybe one more than the other.

First, we all know CP broke the 400 foot barrier with TTD, in theory that could be considered history. They had a ride basically in the water a long time ago. Although it's not all that similar, it does have its relation to a starflyer but not in the way a current starflyer works, just as in the spinning aspect I think. Somewhere on here there's a picture of it. I don't know any details on the ride but you can immediately see a bit of relation to it.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

I can't wait for the announcement! Anybody have an idea when this might happen?

Corkscrew Headache said:
If this is, in fact, a Funtime Star Flyer, how does it bring back memories? Any ideas?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back (early 1900s) Cedar Point had a swing in the lake... I've been trying to find a photo and this is the best i can find. it's a TINY photo. but zoom in and you can kind of see it.

http://www.judnick.com/images/Ohio_CedarPoint_SeaSwing_small.jpg

Last edited by deeganator,

Most of these bad boys seem to have some type of decoration on the top of the tower. Wonder what we'll see...

And yes, I recall seeing the Sea-Swing in some old footage. Just didn't know if that was the supposed relation. :)

Last edited by Corkscrew Headache,

^ A big snoopy head?

No wait! Got it. Got it. A three times sized replica of the red dressed woman that used to be on Schwabinchen. How you like them apples? ;)

Last edited by Corkscrew Headache,

Chase Gilbert said:
^ A big snoopy head?

Lol, first thing I thought of too ;)

lol I also thought Snoopy!

The double seats on the starflyer in Austria kind of fits with the "teens would like this" comment that DK gave too. I guess.

Ok frequent posting on my part, but remember the Dick Kinzel "teen" comment? On the starflyer (funtime) website there's this quote...

"Also, sponsorship opportunities abound as teen-oriented food products and soft drinks all lend themselves to being associated with the 'extreme ride for all' nature of the StarFlyer"

I can't really think of "teen oriented food and drink" other than energy drinks, but I'm seriously guessing that's where the teen-market hint came from.

...and from the same page, many agree that's sorta a slow area for the park....

"The StarFlyer can be operated in many different programs, which include variations with speeds and durations, one useful program is called the promotion mode in which the gondolas spin at full speed at the top of the tower without patrons in the seats, the purpose of this is to bring people to the ride. In this way the StarFlyer can be used to bring patrons to what has previously been a 'dead' part of the park,"

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

tell me if this is private or not cause ill fix it but heres a better picture from my book http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=468498&id=100000071253436&ref=album

-Marty

#1 Millennium Force #2 Maverick #3 Top Thrill Dragster

It's viewable, and yeah thats the exact ride I was talking about. Any idea what year(s) that was?

yes but now there is wave swinger nice pic btw

the book says 1920s btw

-Marty

Tim Seydell said:

"Also, sponsorship opportunities abound as teen-oriented food products and soft drinks all lend themselves to being associated with the 'extreme ride for all' nature of the StarFlyer"

I can't really think of "teen oriented food and drink" other than energy drinks, but I'm seriously guessing that's where the teen-market hint came from.

maybe thats why the CP website has the Red Gold ketchup sponsorship on their front page! :)

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

anyone kno how much one skyflyer costs?

-Marty

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service