Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Kevinj said:
I'm not sure where the whole sand comments got started...

Regardless, given the investment in the interior for HW last year, and the expense of removing the warehouse, the only thing I see happening to DT is its removal... sometime down the line, but not soon.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

djDaemon said:
2) He was great at running Cedar Point, at least when it came to the "bigger better faster" years, which are now basically over. Since then, he's been nothing but a liability

Put simply, the company has outgrown him by leaps & bounds. He should have quit years ago.

How are the "bigger better faster" years over? What do you call Diamondback, Behemoth, Intimidator and Intimidator 305? The two fastest coasters on earth were built within the last 2 years. Just because Cedar Point hasn't broken any big world records in the last few years doesn't mean they've "outgrown him." Not everyone thinks he's as bad as you say. And soon, he will have to retire, so you'll get your wish.

Last edited by !,

Diamondback & Behemoth are not "-est" coasters, but rather coasters that fill a genre that each park sorely lacked.

I305 has not exactly been a great success. The ride is too big, and has had adjustments made to it so that it doesn't destroy itself. So yeah, I'd certainly hope that Kinzel has learned (finally) that a ride like Maverick is a much wiser investment than a monstrosity like I305.

You're right - not everyone thinks he's that bad. But so what? I'm sure there are at least 2 or 3 folks who'd swear Bin Laden is a pretty cool guy, once you get to know him.

Brandon

! said:
And soon, he will have to retire, so you'll get your wish.

That time came and went 5 years ago.....we see how well that worked.

Goodbye MrScott

John

So now you're comparing Kinzel to Bin Laden?

And you're right, I305 is terrible! They should tare it down right now. Have you ridden I305?

Yeah I don't think they are going to "tare" it down. :P :P

Wasn't Maverick one of the steep"est" drops when it went up? Had one of the fast"est" traditional LSM powered lifts and was one of the "first" with two LSM powered launches?

Last edited by Kyle2154,

Only if you believe the fallacy that you can be steeper than straight up and down.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Don't they have medications that can help that sort of thing these days?

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

! said:
And you're right, I305 is terrible!

That's not at all what I said, but I can see you're not interested in any sort of rational discussion. Bye!

Kyle2154 said:
Wasn't Maverick one of the steep"est" drops when it went up? Had one of the fast"est" traditional LSM powered lifts and was one of the "first" with two LSM powered launches?

You're not really suggesting that a steep drop is anything like building a 300+ foot tall coaster, are you? I hope not, because that would mean you missed the point entirely. :)

Brandon

No, I'm just suggesting that it was not the "est" factor that Cedar Point figured out. Maverick is still, at least sort of, an "est" coaster.

Which would of course mean Cedar Point is still in the same frame of mind.

...which I secretly hope for :)

Whatever Daemon...

I305 is a really fun ride, but it seems the designer (IntaRide) just took a Mega Lite and just made the hill 305ft tall without revising the rest of the layout.

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

FYI, if you're reduced to saying "Whatever Daemon", you've lost. ;)

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Which has proven to not be the best idea ever, seeing as how I305 is melting wheels (causing them to install trims, effectively making the ride much "shorter" than 305') and making its riders black out.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Speaking of trims, do the trims on Mantis and MS serve an engineering or maintenance purpose or are they there to make the rides more "rideable." In both cases I swear (and some may disagree) the trims helped make Mean Streak even more rough and Mantis is so slow after being trimmed twice that it seems like it barely makes it up the hill to the final break run.

Trims really do hurt the flow of the ride. It does kind of suck as you head towards the top of the lagoon hill on Maverick and feel the train get caught by the trims. I would almost prefer they make the launch less intense, if that is even possible.

Ensign Smith said:
FYI, if you're reduced to saying "Whatever Daemon", you've lost. ;)

No, saying "whatever Daemon" means that I don't want to continue arguing about something that doesn't have anything to do with Cedar Point or 2011.

Mean Streaks were put in to reduce maintenance costs. The slower train causes less wear and tear on the track and the cost of more wear and tear on the rider.

Mantis', as far as I can gather, was installed to increase the ride length a few seconds and give the train in the station a couple more seconds to load. I'm not sure if there is a maintenance reason now for not opening it up since the trains stack anyway.

Goodbye MrScott

John

SuperSonicGoalie said:
It does kind of suck as you head towards the top of the lagoon hill on Maverick and feel the train get caught by the trims. I would almost prefer they make the launch less intense, if that is even possible.

I think the launch into the lagoon is one of the best parts of the ride, even with the trims.

Brandon

I-305 seriously looks like it will be a maintenance nightmare in the next 5 years. The trains are way to big for the ride, trims were really needed, and the twists are not the smoothest transitions either.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service