Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

I linked some pictures to it. I went to Cedar Point in June and I don't remember it being there. Does anyone know what it is?

http://cpcpcp111.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=92765726

Last edited by !,

It's a storage and/or maintenance shed. Nothing more.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Thanks. Do you know what it's for? And why they built it this year?

Ah, that second hill. Oops. ;)

Brandon

BRcoastrpsycho34 said:

I305 pre-trim brakes on the first drop was a better coaster than MF.

But even if I305 is better than MF, that still does not make it better than Magnum!

! - They built it for storage and maintenance. ;)

My guess is that with the influx of new rides in the Frontier Trail/Town area of the ride they wanted to put in a near-by storage/maintenance area for those rides. With the addition of StR they reached that tipping point where they needed more space and it made sense to put it in that area.

Goodbye MrScott

John

In addition to providing necessary infrastructure for new attractions, adding those buildings in areas where nothing else could really go sure does open up the opportunity to eventually remove/relocate some other buildings that sit on land that is better suited for future attractions (i.e. P&D).

Brandon

One thing Cedar Point needs to do in my humble opinion is to focus on simplicity with this new ride. For far too long the park has gone with technologically advanced rides that, while fun, experience a lot of downtime. On my last few trips to the park TTD has been down for long periods of time, and MF has been down for long periods of time, while Maverick and WT have both been down sporadically. I have seen Skyhawk down a couple times though I have never seen maXair down.

On the other hand some of the simple, classic designs like Blue Streak, Magnum, Witches Wheel, Calypso and Troika Troika Troika are seemingly never down, though obviously as far as thrill rides go, my examples here are not on the same level as Skyhawk and maXair.

The point here is Cedar Point would benefit from installing a few highly reliable rides in the near future. Rides they can count on being ready by opening day and rides customers do not have to worry will be down for long periods during their visits.

I don't know the thrill rides as well so I can't think of any that are thrilling and highly reliable, but as far as roller coasters go, a couple simple old designs would be refreshing. 100-150 rides with chain lifts and fewer moving parts obviously have less opportunity for issues and are more easily repaired. This is another reason why I still suspect a new woodie this offseason. I am thinking something in the 125 foot range and about 3,500 feet in length. However, the less talk I hear from CP regarding the new ride, the less confident I am in the roller coaster outcome. :(

^^Magnum used to go down quite a bit, more often than Millennium Force in fact. I can't tell you how many times it (magnum) got stuck going up the first hill when it was a new ride. That's the point, these are new rides. Your older stuff has been around for awhile, the bugs are worked out and there's less problems. We had this topic before, when you do something new, something like MF, TTD, Maverick, you cannot plan for the unseen. Look at the heartline roll on maverick being taken out.

This isn't like a car, they aren't mass-produced, they don't have years of experience in each specific design. Obviously when you have more electrical parts, more forces involved you're going to have more issues, but with each failure they are learning from it and how not to have it happen again in the future.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

SuperSonicGoalie said:
One thing Cedar Point needs to do in my humble opinion is to focus on simplicity with this new ride. For far too long the park has gone with technologically advanced rides that, while fun, experience a lot of downtime.

How about a flume ride? Those are fairly simple. I mean, the technology's been around for, what, 50 - 60 years? How could anybody screw up something like that?

Wow, that was almost too easy. ;)

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
One thing Cedar Point needs to do in my humble opinion is to focus on simplicity with this new ride. For far too long the park has gone with technologically advanced rides that, while fun, experience a lot of downtime. On my last few trips to the park TTD has been down for long periods of time, and MF has been down for long periods of time, while Maverick and WT have both been down sporadically. I have seen Skyhawk down a couple times though I have never seen maXair down.

On the other hand some of the simple, classic designs like Blue Streak, Magnum, Witches Wheel, Calypso and Troika Troika Troika are seemingly never down, though obviously as far as thrill rides go, my examples here are not on the same level as Skyhawk and maXair.

The point here is Cedar Point would benefit from installing a few highly reliable rides in the near future. Rides they can count on being ready by opening day and rides customers do not have to worry will be down for long periods during their visits.

I don't know the thrill rides as well so I can't think of any that are thrilling and highly reliable, but as far as roller coasters go, a couple simple old designs would be refreshing. 100-150 rides with chain lifts and fewer moving parts obviously have less opportunity for issues and are more easily repaired. This is another reason why I still suspect a new woodie this offseason. I am thinking something in the 125 foot range and about 3,500 feet in length. However, the less talk I hear from CP regarding the new ride, the less confident I am in the roller coaster outcome. :(

No matter how often I hear someone say that <insert ride> has a good track record, I know that "Highly reliable ride" is an oxymoron.

MillieFreak said:
AmazingMaverick, obviously you are a member of the GP and have no idea what you are talking about. CF staff have STATED that they won't get a flying coaster, so when you go around posting things that will never happen in 2011, it gets a little annoying. Go back to school. Throughout this thread I've seen you post numerous times about rides/attractions that are hypothetical.

I was just saying that i want one. So shut up.

What about a new version of a current well-known thrill ride? That, or I think it would be cool if they made some ride that goes near Magnum's turn around area, and goes partially into the water (obviously not where people swim). That would be cool. There's really not much to base these guesses off of lol

On second thought let's not go to Six Flags, 'tis a silly place.

Tim Seydell said:
^^Magnum used to go down quite a bit, more often than Millennium Force in fact. I can't tell you how many times it (magnum) got stuck going up the first hill when it was a new ride. That's the point, these are new rides. Your older stuff has been around for awhile, the bugs are worked out and there's less problems. We had this topic before, when you do something new, something like MF, TTD, Maverick, you cannot plan for the unseen. Look at the heartline roll on maverick being taken out.

This isn't like a car, they aren't mass-produced, they don't have years of experience in each specific design. Obviously when you have more electrical parts, more forces involved you're going to have more issues, but with each failure they are learning from it and how not to have it happen again in the future.

I seem to remember a train at the top of the hill quite frequently as well, but with how often it was up there (including overnight) I always thought it was just where they stuck the third train when the ride was down.

On the rather off topic tangent of old school Magnum memories, does anybody remember being kept awake at Sandcastle because of those endless, laser-like 'pew! pew! pew!' noises coming out of the tunnels all night?

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Ensign Smith said:

SuperSonicGoalie said:
One thing Cedar Point needs to do in my humble opinion is to focus on simplicity with this new ride. For far too long the park has gone with technologically advanced rides that, while fun, experience a lot of downtime.

How about a flume ride? Those are fairly simple. I mean, the technology's been around for, what, 50 - 60 years? How could anybody screw up something like that?

Wow, that was almost too easy. ;)

Well played! :)

MillieFreak said:
AmazingMaverick, obviously you are a member of the GP and have no idea what you are talking about.

Wow. This is supposed to be an insult? Just wow.

Don't forget SuperSonicGoalie that Magnum had to have a portion completely redesigned after it's opening season. I don't remember the details but you'll find them if you dig around. Also both MaXair and Skyhawk have had substantial downtime in the past few years. Most new rides go through their growing pains before they run consistently. B&M seem to make the most consistently reliable rides, hence the price tag. I'm really interested to see what this experimental X-Raptor business is all about.

Last edited by realmadrid311,

Magnum, if I remember right, had a couple changes made.

1 - the 3rd hill was reprofiled and lowered.

2 - it originally had up-stop pads rather than wheels. After the second or third season they were removed in favor of wheels.

Goodbye MrScott

John

The last time I went to Cedar Point Magnum got stuck almost at the top of the hill and all the people had to walk down the stairs. I felt so bad for them lol I got stuck on Intimidator 305's hill at King's Dominion, but luckily it was able to inch over the hill.

On second thought let's not go to Six Flags, 'tis a silly place.

I give B&M tons of credit for only building rides they can keep running consistently. It has turned into a great attribute in selling new coasters I am sure. I would love to see more of them at CP, but it seems like after '96, their coasters were not "cutting edge" enough for Kinzel and co (I'm sure there are more reasons than just that).

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service