Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

djDaemon said:
Dale and other "I can turn left real good" folk visit the park often

I know we disagree on some things but I seriously lol'd at that. I wouldn't worry about the nascar guys being there, I remember jeff gordon being there one of the times I was there last year, was wondering why the MF line never moved for 20 some odd minutes, he had to have a test run or two ran before he even got on it, sissy. Guess a coaster that turns both directions is scary for him.

Anyways back on topic, SteveH, I don't see this being a legacy builder ride for Dick Kinzel, especially if it isn't a coaster. It would be like saying when you think of CP you think of Chaos and not Top Thrill Dragster, lol. I think a dark ride is out of the question too, in Dicks eyes we have Disaster Transport.

The Starflyer is much more probable, but I don't see it being a real deciding factor for the season pass sale. Right now is the Cedar Point hype machine, but I'm sorry if they put in a Starflyer, no matter how big, it wouldn't push me much more to go to the park that it would if nothing was done this year.

80+ coasters and counting

Tim Seydell said:
Anyways back on topic, SteveH, I don't see this being a legacy builder ride for Dick Kinzel, especially if it isn't a coaster.

If what he has done with the company (building it from 1 park to a multinational corporation) and the park (going from 4 coasters and some moderate thrills to the destination we have today) isn't a big enough legacy for him than it is most certainly time for him to be pushed out. Building rides for an ego stroke is not good business practice (see Six Flags - Ohio).

Goodbye MrScott

John

Nothing puts a smile on my face like when I'm reading about a ride, at a park somewhere across the country, and it says something like "similar to the one at Cedar Point only not as tall/fast"

I like Kinzel's ego... :)

Last edited by Kyle2154,

djDaemon said:

SuperSonicGoalie said:
I still don't get why everyone seems so convinced Cedar Point is getting a "Star Flyer." I have never heard of this type of ride, but I looked it up and it is essentially the same type of swing located near Maverick, with the only difference being that it is much taller.

First of all, the two rides are nothing alike, much the same way that Demon Drop and Power Tower were nothing alike, aside from the direction of travel. If we were to apply your "logic" to the entire park, there would probably be 5 total rides instead of almost 70.

I simply cannot see Cedar Point getting such a ride...

I read that paragraph as I really want next year's attraction to be a coaster, so I'm going to ignore what we know about the attraction in favor of imganing what I hope it to be. :)

{Kinzel} has made no concrete comments other than that it will be a "thrill ride"...

Not true. He implied it wouldn't be a coaster, and said (concretely) that it would NOT be an Intamin product.

I get that you really want the attraction to be a coaster, but there is no evidence to support next year's attraction being a coaster, and plenty of evidence supporting it being a smaller (in footprint, compared to a coaster) thrill ride.

But how do you know its not going to be a coaster? He might have been trying to trick everyone into thinking the ride WONT be a coaster?

djDaemon said:
I'd bet there isn't anyone who wants one of these less than I do, but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that based on what we know so far, the Star Flyer is the most probable.

Of course, that could change.

Oh belive me, I HATE heights! I would never ride it!

If Cedar Point does get a starflyer I doubt I will ride it more than once. The one I rode in Orlando really didn't excite me. Sure the height gets you at first but 10 seconds into the ride cycle and I was already trying to rock my seat around as much as possible.

Also I can't really think of any realistic changes to the ride that would increase it's capacity to an acceptable level.

yeah...and to me anything too big just doesn't seem to to fit well in that area anyway...but like we all keep saying, we'll see once they start clearing more!

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

When I was at Cedar Point, I saw this little coaster with a eagle car in the window of that little shop right next to TTD?

did it SAY what it was, cuz if i remember right there isn't any small eagle themed coasters there lol :P

It didnt say anything. It just had an eagle on the train and a coaster track. :P

JuggaLotus said:

And no, a single flat wouldn't need to occupy those two places, but you assume that the two sites are related. It could be that a flat is going in to one this year and another flat or coaster next year into the other. Both spaces don't have to be used in the same construction project.

If they are not using the OM site until Project 2012 why mark the area now? Clearly, they are planning on doing something in that area.

Why move DD this year if that area--prime real estate in the front of the park--isn't going to be used until 2012? They could just as easily moved it this off season and let the land lie vacant in 2011.

CP has a long history of moving rides in order to accommodate coaster:

--Wildcat was moved to accommodate DT
--Monster was moved to accommodate Iron Dragon
--Schwabinchen was moved to accommodate Mantis
--Giant Wheel was moved to accommodate MF
--Calypso AND Main Midway Carousel were moved to accommodate Raptor

And Dodgem was moved to MiA to make room for TTD :)

So, why is it unreasonable to assume that something will be moved into the DD area to make enough space available in the OM space?

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

oh good i thought people ere goin 2 start suggesting thats the new ride lol

Yeah.... Nevermind...

Captain Hawkeye said:

If they are not using the OM site until Project 2012 why mark the area now? Clearly, they are planning on doing something in that area.

If they are planning to remove it, they would need to mark up the area so they don't end up cutting into something during removal.

Why move DD this year if that area--prime real estate in the front of the park--isn't going to be used until 2012? They could just as easily moved it this off season and let the land lie vacant in 2011.

Except that last year may have made the most sense for Knott's. CP isn't the only factor in the equation.

CP has a long history of moving rides in order to accommodate coaster:

--Wildcat was moved to accommodate DT
--Monster was moved to accommodate Iron Dragon
--Schwabinchen was moved to accommodate Mantis
--Giant Wheel was moved to accommodate MF
--Calypso AND Main Midway Carousel were moved to accommodate Raptor

And Dodgem was moved to MiA to make room for TTD :)

And White Water Landing was removed a year and a half before Maverick opened. So closing and moving rides doesn't mean that space is need for project 2011.

So, why is it unreasonable to assume that something will be moved into the DD area to make enough space available in the OM space?

I didn't say it was unreasonable, but it doesn't fit the facts as we currently know them.

Goodbye MrScott

John

if they were, would they be able to move the stadium or have to completely demolish it?

If Demon Drops spot doesn't have something to do with 2011 I'll be shocked. I'm expecting something to be moved there (like Ocean Motion), but if the plan is to leave Demon Drop empty for 2 seasons right up front...wow...bad planning.

Last edited by Kyle2154,

^ Yeah, but the area formerly occupied by Jungle Larry was empty for a couple years before Power Tower was constructed.

Even worse planning to move Ocean Motion there when it is up for sale.

Goodbye MrScott

John

you got a point there

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service