Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

As much as I would like a Wooden Roller Coaster themed to "Cyclone" near the beach, we have to remember that Cedar Fair does not maintain their wooden coasters as well as other parks/chains. Was Just at Kings Dominion last weekend and all of their wooden coasters have gotten rough in the past few years, as have Kings Islands and Carowinds (exception being Thunder Road at Carowinds)

I would like to see something like a "Boardwalk" themed area. Maybe move the Wave Swinger there and add a Wild Mouse coaster and a nice wooden midway by the beach. Other possible great attractions would be a "Dark Ride" and Circle Swing (like at Disney California Adv)

A World Far Beyond our Own

[url][url]Anyone thing about Vertigo that was in the park in 2002 but closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It had THREE towers in a triangular pattern!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(Cedar_Point)

Who would want to ride something similar to vertigo after its tragic fall?

AmazingMaverick(: said:
[url][url]Anyone thing about Vertigo that was in the park in 2002 but closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It had THREE towers in a triangular pattern!!!!!!

If only you were excited...Oh wait...

Well ok, if it comes I couldn't say id ride it after what happened. I just think I got all hyped up for no reason. I just kinda added !!!!!!!!!!!!! after it for no reason.

Bryansworld8 said:
As much as I would like a Wooden Roller Coaster themed to "Cyclone" near the beach, we have to remember that Cedar Fair does not maintain their wooden coasters as well as other parks/chains. Was Just at Kings Dominion last weekend and all of their wooden coasters have gotten rough in the past few years, as have Kings Islands and Carowinds (exception being Thunder Road at Carowinds)

Cedar Fair maintains all of their wooden coasters as well as they can. Cedar Fair is actually a step up from the former Paramount Parks in terms of roughness. Blue Streak is maintained great and Mean Streak really is also. Mean Streak is so rough because of a design problem. I do give the maintance team credit on both of those rides. Racer and The Beast at KI are great. Prowler at WOF is great. Renegade at VF is great. Grizzly at KD is great in my opinion since the retracking.

All old wooden coasters are rough and ones what are not old are either built/designed by Dinn Corp, Roller Coaster Corporation of America, or International Coasters (only built 2). Look at SOB for an example. It could have been a great roller coaster if it were built correctly with a sound structure.

Last edited by coolkid2345,

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Bryansworld8 said:

I would like to see something like a "Boardwalk" themed area. Maybe move the Wave Swinger there and add a Wild Mouse coaster and a nice wooden midway by the beach. Other possible great attractions would be a "Dark Ride" and Circle Swing (like at Disney California Adv)

Blue Streak is still running strong since 1967.

I'm not sure if you were talking about Project 2011, but if so, a dark ride is out of the question in my opinion. Why put an enclosed ride in a scenic area like a beachfront? Too many people consider DT a dark ride as is, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dick Kinzel thought the same thing, not trying to talk down to you or anything, just my 2 cents..

The Vertigo is an interesting idea, the problem is ride capacity. I heard that after the CP accident, that all Vertigo style rides were shut down and re-looked over, but haven't heard anything since. One can assume with the timeframe that's gone by that the structural issue is fixed by now.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

Tim Seydell said:

Bryansworld8 said:

I'm not sure if you were talking about Project 2011, but if so, a dark ride is out of the question in my opinion. Why put an enclosed ride in a scenic area like a beachfront? Too many people consider DT a dark ride as is, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dick Kinzel thought the same thing, not trying to talk down to you or anything, just my 2 cents..

The Vertigo is an interesting idea, the problem is ride capacity. I heard that after the CP accident, that all Vertigo style rides were shut down and re-looked over, but haven't heard anything since. One can assume with the timeframe that's gone by that the structural issue is fixed by now.

See, and they could of opened it back up, but they thought that no one would want to ride it. So the removed it. And look at those Slingshot rides. Those are basically the same things, right? They most likley fixed the problem.

wow its amazing how we jump from a star flyer to a vertigo...i think the vertigo actually sounds more realistic....( I best most don't agree)

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

Well, it was bound to happen at some point I guess. This week the 2011 forum became noob city. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I blame Tony and his blog post. :)

Maybe in the coming months I will get the urge to jump back in the conversation. Maybe I'll shoot out 30 posts in a thread in like 3 days!!!!one. But I doubt it.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Noob city? Excuse me?

Tim Seydell said:

1964, Bud. :)

Last edited by Corkscrew Headache,

Does anyone else think that with Shoot the Rapids having a 10.5 million building cost, it seems less than likely that this year's project would exceed that pricetag too? A wooden coaster on the beach seems pricey, and as much as I'd like it to be something of that magnitude, it seems more plausible that they will put in a mid size thrill ride with a moderate pricetag. However, due to the fact that they plan five years in advance, maybe the economy won't take its toll on it being something spectacular. I am aware of STR being pushed back a year and that this year's possibly spectacular ride could therefore pushed back until next year as well.

Is there any evidence in recent history of the park putting in two 10 million attractions back to back? I can only think of TTD and WT...

Chuck Wagon said:
Well, it was bound to happen at some point I guess. This week the 2011 forum became noob city. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I blame Tony and his blog post. :)

Maybe in the coming months I will get the urge to jump back in the conversation. Maybe I'll shoot out 30 posts in a thread in like 3 days!!!!one. But I doubt it.

Oh noes, too many people making too many posts, we're all doomed, doomed I tell you!!!!!!1 Golly gee, a forum talking about a ride hundreds of thousands of people are interested in most certainly should not be made public, and why on earth would they want to post their opinion, that's just straight up weird. In fact, with that mindset, maybe the forums should only be used by super uber leet coaster experts like you!!! :)

Corkscrew Headache said:

Tim Seydell said:

1964, Bud. :)

10 key typo :) Thanks for catching that, lol.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

Don't be a sourpuss, Chuck. If I've learned anything from the past few pages, it's that if you wish for something hard enough, it will come true, no matter how illogical or improbable! Even if it flies in the face of every clue, they have to build the coaster I want, for the simple fact that I really really really want it. ;)

Which is good, because I want a 500-foot underground coaster made out of chocolate.

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

CanadianPointKid said:
Does anyone else think that with Shoot the Rapids having a 10.5 million building cost, it seems less than likely that this year's project would exceed that pricetag too? A wooden coaster on the beach seems pricey, and as much as I'd like it to be something of that magnitude, it seems more plausible that they will put in a mid size thrill ride with a moderate pricetag. However, due to the fact that they plan five years in advance, maybe the economy won't take its toll on it being something spectacular. I am aware of STR being pushed back a year and that this year's possibly spectacular ride could therefore pushed back until next year as well.

Is there any evidence in recent history of the park putting in two 10 million attractions back to back? I can only think of TTD and WT...

TTD was 25 million and Wicked Twister was 9 million :)

And on VertiGo, It happened because the vehicle was removed in the winter. Therefore the towers were swaying and one collapsed.

Last edited by nate0902,

nate0902 said:

31?

So if TTD and WT were indeed two back to back 10 million + rides, I suppose that there IS potential for it to happen again....

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service