Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Chuck Wagon said:
...Maybe I'll shoot out 30 posts in a thread in like 3 days!!!!one. But I doubt it.

Hmm...

Woodstock Express (1999)

Millennuim Force (2000)

-------------------------

Gemini (1978)

Jr Gemini (1979

------------------------

Wicked Twister (2002)

Top Thrill Dragster (2003)

----------------------------

MaxAir (2005)

Sky Hawk (2006)

Maverick(2007)

-------------------

So yes its possible (:.

Last edited by AmazingMaverick(:,

djDaemon said:

Cedar Point has no such terrain to work with, sadly.

The hell you say! Cedar Point does too have a terrain. What do you think all those terracks are for?

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD. said:
Sweet Jesus, school needs to start so all the n00bs will go away.

This latest wave makes me think that summer remediation classes just ended.

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

Floor less, floor less, floor less,
I miss Dominator and I don't want to drive to KD

Ride Raptor. Same restraints and no floor.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Tim Seydell said:
I still love the sound of the dogs when going up the first hill on mean streak, or any other slow lift coaster.... the slow clack-clack, I think it adds to the anticipation, but a cable lift does have it's advantages :)

The anti-rollback used has nothing to do with the lift system. You could very well install a traditional anti-roll back (with all the click clacking you can ever want) on a cable lift.

Goodbye MrScott

John

JuggaLotus said:

And just because it "means little" to you, doesn't make it invalid. The park rarely uses misdirection, its the enthusiasts who misdirect themselves.

I don't think I am off base in calling many of last year's comments ("Gee See Eye" and "Wheels? Check. Harnesses? Check." come to mind immediately) misdirection.

Also, the "more coasters" mindset is my mindset. I ride only four or five non-coaster rides when I go to the park, mostly for nostalgic reasons. However, that is also the company's mindset for Cedar Point. Nearly every ad campaign and slogan for the past two decades have, in one way or another, focused on the park's roller coasters. As I have said before, roller coasters are the parks core competency and I cannot see them deviating from the path that has been successful for so long. I know there are people out there who point to attendance numbers vs. the number of roller coasters, but they don't tell the whole story. Cedar Point competes against far more forms of entertainment now than in the past and people's entertainment dollars are spread over a widening array of activities. So to say that the "more coasters" strategy has stalled or isn't working is not necessarily true. In the end, coasters are what the park is known for and coasters are what bring people in. That is why I cannot see them breaking a 25 year precedent and waiting a fifth year to build a coaster in favor of a 250 foot carnival ride.

In the end, I may be proved incorrect...

Interesting, because unless I am mistaken, StR has harnesses and wheels.

And yep lots of misdirection involving GCI.

Last edited by JuggaLotus,

Goodbye MrScott

John

SuperSonicGoalie said:
...roller coasters are the parks core competency and I cannot see them deviating from the path that has been successful for so long.

But that hasn't been successful. The park no longer sees attendance boosts from installing new coasters. One could actually argue the lack of a boost is because the park has installed them so regularly in recent years. The market no longer reacts as positively to these massive capital expenditures, as it's become business as usual. Stepping back the frequency of coaster installations might help restore the positive effect on attendance such rides can have.

So to say that the "more coasters" strategy has stalled or isn't working is not necessarily true. In the end, coasters are what the park is known for and coasters are what bring people in.

But it's NOT bringing people in like it used to. So... that comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

That is why I cannot see them breaking a 25 year precedent and waiting a fifth year to build a coaster in favor of a 250 foot carnival ride...

Ugh. That makes no sense. But it's clear what you're actually saying:

I refuse to believe they will break an enthusiast-imagined pattern and install anything other than a coaster, because I really really really really really want to ride a new coaster next year, and I'll go to any length to justify why they should install one...

;)

Brandon

I think I too am one of the people that reads into things all in hopes of it being a roller coaster. But if I'm being honest with myself...I really think they will makeover the entire beach side area (e.g. boardwalk, ect.) and build a Star Flyer. Maybe the tallest? 3 posts would make sense for the base? This brings back memories of record-breaking, exciting for teens, and reminds people of those old swing-like rides that were in the water at CP and Euchlid Beach.

I dunno about the Vertigo idea...why would they rebuild a ride that was only open for a short time and broke!

-h&b<3cp

hillary&bryanLOVEcp said:
3 posts would make sense for the base?

Ahem... :)

Brandon

I agree putting up Millennium and Dragster back-to-back ('00 and '03) with WT ('02) sandwiched in between probably was way too much. But with 2011 looking like another non-coaster year, that's going to be only 1 coaster (Maverick) in 8 years. At some point, 2012/2013, we will be a little overdue for a coaster.

That, and I am a crazed delusional coaster-hopeful :)

Kyle2154 said:
That, and I am crazed & delusional

Fixed for truthiness. ;)

Goodbye MrScott

John

Tim Seydell said:
Oh noes, too many people making too many posts, we're all doomed, doomed I tell you!!!!!!1 Golly gee, a forum talking about a ride hundreds of thousands of people are interested in most certainly should not be made public, and why on earth would they want to post their opinion, that's just straight up weird. In fact, with that mindset, maybe the forums should only be used by super uber leet coaster experts like you!!! :)

My post was mostly made in jest, in case you missed the :). Then again, having only been here 13 days, I'm not that surprised you missed my humor. I think I learned something about your personality though.

Back on topic, it doesn't seem like construction would need to start as early as August if the new addition is just one flat ride. I would love to see additional renovations on the beach to draw folks in that direction. Unless the new ride makes some big waves, it will also suffer from the poor location that Ocean Motion had.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I agree with Chuck Wagon... excessive punctuation makes me go O_o

Same with random rambling thoughts and uber walls-o-text.

and yes, I'm technically a noob too when it comes to posting... even though I lurked for a few years off and on.

Anyway... I of course am continuing to wish for a coaster, or at least something that doesn't SPIN. Spinning rides of any type make me wanna yak. If they put one in it won't really affect me though, I'll probably still go to the Point next year.

Last edited by deeganator,

I've wondered about the early start as well, if, in fact, an early start is why they're announcing it early - they may very well announce the new ride, and not start construction until October, for all we know.

With Maverick, they were able to easily work on the ride without disturbing day-to-day operations, because the site was accessible from the park perimeter (unlike Skyhawk, for example). Perhaps the same reasoning is why they're starting earlier for next year's attraction.

Brandon

Seriosuly? The quote on GCI was later in the pre-announcement marketing campaign. And yes, STR has wheels and restraints. But can you really look at least year's campaign and tell me there was no misdirection?

Also, attendance at Cedar Point does not occur in a vacuum. Attendance is down in the industry as a whole so relating drops in attendance to new rides or the park's strategy is questionable at best.

Also, of course I want a new coaster. Does anyone on here not want one? All I am saying is I don't feel there is any concrete evidence pointing in any direction yet.

Also, the pattern is not "enthusiast imagined."

1985 Avalanche Run, 1987 Iron Dragon, 1989 Magnum, 1991 Mean Streak, 1993 Raptor, 1996 Mantis, 2000 Millennium Force, 2002 Wicked Twister, 2003 Top Thrill Dragster, 2007 Maverick. Never more than four years between roller coaster for the past 25 years. So all I am saying is why all of a sudden would they wait five or more?

Yes but these have been interviews with Dick Kinzel, not onpoint blogs in the "fun" section. It's not like the Sandusky Register is saying "In our interview with Dick K today he said 'Gee See Eye'"

He has been very specific, I don't think he is pulling our leg the same way the blog does/is.

Last edited by Kyle2154,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service