Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

But Zach, they've read in every article they can't provide a link to that says attendance is down everywhere.

Goodbye MrScott

John

JuggaLotus said:
But Zach, they've read in every article they can't provide a link to that says attendance is down everywhere.

Haha...if you guys really care about disproving my theories that much, look some articles up and post some links. I have better things to do with my time. We are all novices, none of whom work in the industry I would imagine, so if your theories are so superior then prove it big man. I won't care either way, but be my guest.

Well, that took 2 seconds.

Now, these are all estimations as most of these companies don't actually release official numbers, but I think it is solid enough to disprove the "every article I've read says they are all down" theory.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Does anyone know what that building by the end of Millennium Force's first drop is?

http://cpcpcp111.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=91922733

Did you actually read the article? Those are 2008 vs. 2009 numbers. Hmm...did anything happen in that time period that could affect park attendance? Maybe an economic crash and recovery? Cedar Point attendance peaked in 1994. If it has declined ever since, what have things done since then elsewhere in the industry? Also, did you notice how it mentions Kings Island riding a ROLLER COASTER to higher attendance last year? Before you respond, note that I really don't care what you think so, you are right. You know more about CP than I do. Argument over and now we can go back to having fun!

I doubt that will settle it...but im all for it :)

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

And yet, despite the economic crash, not everyone lost attendance. Heck, some were up by astronomical numbers. So there goes the theory that everyone is down.

And here's info for previous years.

http://www.teaconnect.org/publications.htm

Pertaining specifically to Cedar Point: Spending 5 million on new shows, a kids area and revamping a hotel had a bigger impact on attendance than spending 21 million on a new coaster the year before.

Goodbye MrScott

John

It's gonna be a great ride! All Cedar Point visitors aren't enthusiasts.

;)

Dude, I said I was done. I meant it. Move on.

So, I think everyone pretty much agrees that if it is a roller coaster it will probably be a wooden one. If it is a non-coaster thrill ride, what are other options for CP besides this star flyer swing ride? I have heard of a couple options one being like the old Texas Twister from GL days. What are popular new flat rides now? And didn't someone post that someone died on a star flyer?

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD. said:
To whoever said attendance is falling in every park because the industry is going down hill; you should look at Holiday World or Universal Studios. Holiday World has been raking in the people the past few years and it is still on the rise. Universal Studios brought in tons of people with the new Harry Potter thing. Disney's attendance is still going up too I believe.

Universal and Disney have been facing attendance issues for the last few years and are only now starting to see things level off/pick up. Of course the Central Florida parks did see revenue go up often because they didn't shy from raising attendance prices two times a year.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Also, the pattern is not "enthusiast imagined."

1985 Avalanche Run, 1987 Iron Dragon, 1989 Magnum, 1991 Mean Streak, 1993 Raptor, 1996 Mantis, 2000 Millennium Force, 2002 Wicked Twister, 2003 Top Thrill Dragster, 2007 Maverick. Never more than four years between roller coaster for the past 25 years. So all I am saying is why all of a sudden would they wait five or more?

You forgot Woodstock Express after Mantis.

TrainofSouls said:

Universal and Disney have been facing attendance issues for the last few years and are only now starting to see things level off/pick up. Of course the Central Florida parks did see revenue go up often because they didn't shy from raising attendance prices two times a year.

2 things

1 - the evidence shows they've been flat or increasing the last few years. That's not an attendance issue.

2 - Who buys a 1 day ticket to Disney or Universal? Most people go for multiple days and thus don't pay that advertised ticket price. So while the "price" has gone up, almost nobody pays that.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I think a S&S Skyswat would be cool :). I know they probally wont get one, but I think they are cool.

1 - the evidence shows they've been flat or increasing the last few years. That's not an attendance issue.

I would call this an attendance issue. Also while Disney's numbers have been slipping, 2010 is expected to be the company's first down year in a while.

Comparing any park's numbers, whether it's Universal or CedarFair, 1-to-1 with Disney is a pretty poor argument anyway as everyone knows Disney Parks are fairly recession proof.

Last edited by TrainofSouls,

Yeah, Universal was hit bad last year. But the 2 previous years were a mixed bag (both up in 07 and split up/down in 08). That's not a trend of attendance issues.

And I don't know if it is so much that Disney is recession proof as it is that they do a great job of being pro-active. They don't wait until resort numbers are down 30, 40, 50% to start making deals and getting people in.

Now, there's only so much they can do. They've slashed prices to get people to keep coming through the first couple years of the recession, but that only carries so far. The recession keeps carrying and they are (as you say for 2010) going to finally take a hit.

Goodbye MrScott

John

SuperSonicGoalie said:
So, I think everyone pretty much agrees that if it is a roller coaster it will probably be a wooden one. If it is a non-coaster thrill ride, what are other options for CP besides this star flyer swing ride? I have heard of a couple options one being like the old Texas Twister from GL days. What are popular new flat rides now? And didn't someone post that someone died on a star flyer?

Oh god no not the Texas Twister :hissss: I doubt highly anything being brought in from GL, and I don't think it would be much of a crowd pleaser when announced. Also when said that "we have ordered a ride", it kind of hints at a new ride not a move.

There was a death on a ride called Star Flyer, but it was not the same we are talking about, the death was on an inverted coaster....

http://www.mukamo.com/man-falls-death-star-flyer-ride-star-city/

80+ coasters and counting

Texas Twister already went to California's Great America years ago. And I highly doubt a Top Spin is coming to the Point.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Also, did you notice how it mentions Kings Island riding a ROLLER COASTER to higher attendance last year?

-I am a little confused with what you are saying regarding KI attendance. Kings Island added a roller coaster, there attendance still went down 4%.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Before you respond, note that I really don't care what you think...

-This is really rude to say. If you don't care about anyone else's opinion, why are you even posting. Your argument was weak so get over yourself. You don't have to like everyone in the community, but you still have to treat everyone with equal respect.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

If this new ride is supposed to be located "near the beach," would they consider Demon Drop's area "near the beach?" And when they removed White Water Landing to put in Maverick, they didn't plant grass like they did to the Demon Drop area. Or is that just because it's at the front of the park and they want the entrance to look good?

I've been thinking about how they could squeeze a "thrill seeker" thrill ride (queue and all) and have room in that small place for it all. They might be able to squeeze it in that area but I have another theory. They might be re-locating an existing ride to the Demon Drop area and then use THAT area to build the new ride.

Last edited by !,

Well, that's where some of us thought Ocean Motion would go. Then we found out that it is for sale. Plus Chaos is for sale. So, IF a ride is being moved to the DD site to make room for a new attraction, I'm at a loss for why it would be. In my opinion, the only other ride's in the vicinity of the area in question that might fit in DD's spot would be Giant Wheel and Troika. I would be surprised if they decided to move Giant Wheel again. And, I don't see much of a benefit in moving Troika unless 13E was leaving too.

The more likely scenerio IMO is that a new thrill ride will be going in the old DD site. And everything else we're seeing is getting ready for a larger project for 2012. We only have a couple more weeks before we'll know for sure though.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service