Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Yes, I would hope Cedar Point would install a new roller coaster in 2011. It would also be accurate to say I wish Cedar Point got a new coaster every year.

However, my hope that this current attraction is a roller coaster is not clouding my judgment. Kinzel has said, essentially, nothing about this ride other than that it will be a thrill ride, and as you pointed out, it will not be an Intamin product. However, his comments about certain markets and there being thrill rides "other than roller coasters" means little in my humble opinion. Bottom line: Cedar Point loves misdirection when it comes to new rides and right now I only buy into definitive statements.

Last year's evidence pointed to a coaster, but in the end the park went with what it needed, a flume ride. What does Cedar Point need most right now? I would say a good wooden twister; something with a very small footprint and very intense. Most of Cedar Point's coasters are "out-and-back" rides. Cedar Point also has only has two wooden coasters, both "out-and-backs" (yeah, I would say Mean Streak is one even though it obviously wraps around itself) and one of them seems to be highly unpopular with most riders. Does Cedar Point need another thrill ride? You could deffinitely make that argument. However it would not make sense to me to put a giant spinning tower right next to another giant spinning tower (Space Needle), right next to two huge spikes from a spinning roller coaster (Wicked Twister), and right next to [probably] the most popular thrill ride in the park (maXair)...which also spins.

This is just my thinking on the matter. As I have said before, I will be the first to admit it if I am wrong.

JuggaLotus said:
Even worse planning to move Ocean Motion there when it is up for sale.

Unless you just keep it for sale for 4-5 years, if someone overpays, great, if not, drop the price at the end or move it to a sister park and build sweet project 2015

After Kinzel called Maverick a family ride I stopped listening closely to his every word.

hey i was thinking...to bring back memories, could that possibly be a company they havent used in a long time (considering Intamin is out)

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

No, actually that is impossible.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Last year's evidence pointed to a coaster, but in the end the park went with what it needed, a flume ride.

Uhm, the evidence last year pointed to a water ride, as was predicted early on in the "hype" phase.

Only those with "MOAR COSTERZZZZZ!!!!!11111" glasses on refused to see it and got a nice healthy dose of anticipointment when the ride was finally announced.

And just because it "means little" to you, doesn't make it invalid. The park rarely uses misdirection, its the enthusiasts who misdirect themselves.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Kyle2154 said:
Nothing puts a smile on my face like when I'm reading about a ride, at a park somewhere across the country, and it says something like "similar to the one at Cedar Point only not as tall/fast"

I like Kinzel's ego... :)

me too... me too

And to speedy g., they could probably do both. And I see what you're saying, coasters like Millennium Force and Magnum are coasters with "out and back" layouts that Cedar Point likes to do. They aren't contained in one area so it makes sense to see markings in different area's. But if it WAS a 2011 coaster, wouldn't we see more than water lines?

On the contrary, when Shoot the Rapids was being started, a lot of the forums were looking at electrical line movements closer to Millennium Island (where Shoot the Rapids is located.)

yeah i know it was out of the box...but a lot of things are on here so it was worth a try :)

wait when did I say anything about markings in other spots, I was just focused on the fact that most of the data seems to be pointing to those 3 stakes...oh and im not the one who mentioned anything about out and back coasters....am I?

Last edited by speedy g.,

I didn't think it was out of the box at all. I could see what you're saying.

I wish CP would add something like El Toro just taller and faster. It would be cool to see CP add the tallest wooden roller coaster since Kings Island closed Son of Beast.

JuggaLotus said:

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Last year's evidence pointed to a coaster, but in the end the park went with what it needed, a flume ride.

Uhm, the evidence last year pointed to a water ride, as was predicted early on in the "hype" phase.

Only those with "MOAR COSTERZZZZZ!!!!!11111" glasses on refused to see it and got a nice healthy dose of anticipointment when the ride was finally announced.

And just because it "means little" to you, doesn't make it invalid. The park rarely uses misdirection, its the enthusiasts who misdirect themselves.

I think this is a good example of peoples misconception of what a park should be. Last year during the whyte-lightning hype, someone brought up a good point. If Cedar Point was going to keep one-upping themselves, it would be like a bad rct3 layout of nothing but gigantic coasters covering the skyline. Personally I think we got spoiled a bit with MF and TTD being only a few years apart. I'm sure CP wants to stay on top as far as the coaster count goes, but like last year has to think about more than just the coaster fanatics to keep the park going. Will this "secret ride" be a coaster, I doubt it. As a business decision, if it is something that will draw more people to the park I'm all for it. More people = more money = more money to advance things farther.

Off topic a bit, but one thing I'd really like to see is a electronic billboard showing wait times for the more popular rides.

As far as last years coaster evidence, one of the biggest things people noticed off the bat was the upside down MF logo on the bottle. The "bold, exciting, refreshing" obviously pointed to a water ride, but the logo and the "unlike any other" were throwing people off. Yeah, with some more reasoning it was pretty obvious but many people read into it too much, the "unlike any other" would sound like something much more advanced than a log flume.

80+ coasters and counting

I can't find the article again, but I remember Kinzel saying it will not be from Intaride LLC. In my mind that would still leave room for an El Toro type ride. Since that was made by Intamin AG of Switzerland. Where as Maverick and STR was Intaride. He could be just using business name legality to throw us off. It may just be me really wanting to see an El Toro coaster at CP. At least I only live two hours away from El Toro for my quick fix on my favorite wood coaster.

I would be laughing if there is a full construction zone in another area of the park, and we are so worked up about these three stakes we completely overlook that. I know there isn't, but I think with how worked up we get we could pass up the obvious.

^^IntaRide LLC is the American division of Intamin. STR's boats were made in Switzerland and I even think some of the track for rides are manufactured over there. "Intamin AG" has not made a ride for any american park since King da Ka if not earlier.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Well i still want something like El Toro in the near future. I think it would be perfect for CP. The amazing airtime, speed, Heights i think a 242 feet, cable lift with an 80 degree angle would be great (:

weird when i click on the link it says it either has been removed, named changed, or temporarily unavailable...it could just be my computer i guess

AmazingMaverick(: said:
Well i still want something like El Toro in the near future. I think it would be perfect for CP. The amazing airtime, speed, Heights i think a 242 feet, cable lift with an 80 degree angle would be great (:

If some of the speculation is true that CP is interested in building wooden coasters again, I don't see why we wouldn't get something like that in the future.

I still love the sound of the dogs when going up the first hill on mean streak, or any other slow lift coaster.... the slow clack-clack, I think it adds to the anticipation, but a cable lift does have it's advantages :) That being said, El Toro has one of the most wonderful track layouts ever. I'd be happier with something like that here than a new record-breaking steel.

Edit: Speedyg, the link he posted, which is still just the stake in the beach, isn't a complete url, the normal page is still there, just a broken link.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

oh now I see it...and i figured it was the same blog, just wanted to make sure

I really want a wooden coaster. But I think a Mega-Lite, a Wing Rider Launch Coaster, a Boomerang, a Flying Coaster, Floorless Dive coaster, Floorless coaster, or a 4th Dimension coaster would be my other choices.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service