Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

OMG thanks for that...wow that made me laugh because yes it's true!!!

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

me too :)

I can see where there may be an argument about wind or if there are issues with current star flyers having downtime, but the "Gosh! We already have a spinning swing!!!"...not so much.

I'd bet there isn't anyone who wants one of these less than I do, but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that based on what we know so far, the Star Flyer is the most probable.

Of course, that could change.

Brandon

concidering that a tower like ride seems to be 1 of the only things (as of now)...what other tower rides are there besides drops and starflyers?

No, I don't think the clues to point to any tower-like ride. The clues point specifically to Funtime's Star Flyer - near the beach & historical relevance (like a similar attraction from CP's past), the use of the word "fun" on the blog and Kinzel's statements.

Brandon

I just had a thought, and pardon me if this was already brought up. What if the ride takes up you up 200-300 ft, like starflyer, but instead of swings, the ride is similar to "Insanity" at the Las Vegas Stratosphere (only higher capacity)? Now, that would truly be the scariest ride in the park and appeal to teens.

that would be epic...and besides, who said anything about the "brings back memories" clue to mean a newer version of a classic ride, maybe just themed or connected to the past...just going out on a limb with my thoughts

Last edited by speedy g.,

Well if you were to put a new S&S VertiGo where Demon Drop was, that would be nostalgic. And - if it was tall enough, and fell over like the last one did - it could land in the area where Ocean Motion currently is. Case Solved!

How about an entirely new worlds record and class of rollercoaster (Drumroll: A SubsterCoaster)? The deapest underground coaster!!!! A true mine ride that you get on at the Demon Drop station, and surface at the Beach! Now THAT would be really Cool, thrilling, and different! A real dark ride, and it wouldn't close when it rains either.

i changed my mind...that for sure would be even more epic!!!...if it were anyway possible could they dig under the lake (of coarse being lake Erie, that would be pretty deep.

At the risk of sounding like a wannabe-moderator, can we try to keep the guessing game somewhere rooted in reality? If you want to dream up insane and improbable ideas, how about starting a new thread (that will probably get closed, by the way, as "wish list" threads are frowned upon).

Brandon

;)

When Kinzel said "bring back memories for people who follow cedar fair," I don't think he meant that Cedar Point is going to recreate something from a long time ago, in my opinion (but I could be wrong.)

The first thing that came to my mind when he said "bringing back memories" was Cedar Point/Fair's best, biggest, tallest, fastest, award winning...etc. And if it's going to the "thrill seeker," it could be just that. Cedar Point's been one of the leaders of the "tallest and fastest coaster ever" thing. That made me look into Cedar Point having "tallest and fastest" thrill ride instead of a roller coaster.

Even though, like everyone else, I still have my fingers crossed for a new coaster.

ditto!!!!

With that logic though, you could twist anything to mean a coaster.

What logic?
I wasn't talking about coasters until the last sentence.

wow i just wish all these clues and stuff could just be more revealing...like yes, its a coaster and yes, its from this company, and yes it will break records...because sometimes (though its fun), this guessing game gets really old and way out of hand too quickly.

Is a "Substercoaster" really that unrealistic?

One of the things about The Beast at Kings Island is that you can't see it from anywhere else in the park. This really adds to your apprehension before you ride it, and it's the basic thrill element of any dark ride or Halloweekends - because you don't know what is next.

True, building something underground would be cost prohibitive - but it would be something that is totally different. It's based on an idea the masked magician made a few years back. Rather than keep doing the same old tricks let's expose them and inspire something totally new that you can't see (or ride in this case) anywhere else.

Disney's world of color water show, and Universals Harry Potter robotic arm ride are great examples of this out of the box thinking and I believe Kinsel would have his lasting "legacy attraction" to leave behind for many years to come.

If a coaster were to have short underground portions, it would certainly solve the limited land issues - and if they can build a subway in a major city that has skyscrapers safely - it proves that the existing attractions could co-exist.

Another thought I have always had was with the old ballroom at Cedar Point. It has a lot of history, but hasn't seen much use in the past 30 to 40 years. Could this be part of the new attraction? It would be a reverse of the Disaster Transport history - put a new ride into a old building - because DT was a old ride in a new building.

Yes, it is very unrealistic. The cost of constructing and maintaining an underground tunnel in an area where the ground isn't far above the water table would be prohibitive. Or at the very least, a very poor design decision, when building above ground tunnels creates a similar effect at far less cost.

And Beast is a terrain coaster that takes advantage of the wonderful terrain of that area. Cedar Point has no such terrain to work with, sadly.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Kevinj said:
Out of curiosity, what makes it seem more likely to you that it would be a coaster?

CP has/is clearing 2 spaces: DD's old space and, at the VERY least, OM's current space.

A flat would not need two spaces, so CP is either:
--using 1 ride and connecting the spaces
--is moving something currently adjacent to the OM space (Giant Wheel?) to the DD space in order to enlarge the OM space
--is moving something currently adjacent to the DD space (NOT the 3 point shoot) to the OM space in order to enlarge the DD space

None of that suggests a flat

SuperSonicGoalie said:
I stick to my original guess: Gravity Group twister named Cyclone.

GCI coaster named Cyclone

djDaemon said:
Yes, it is very unrealistic. The cost of constructing and maintaining an underground tunnel in an area where the ground isn't far above the water table would be prohibitive. Or at the very least, a very poor design decision, when building above ground tunnels creates a similar effect at far less cost.

And Beast is a terrain coaster that takes advantage of the wonderful terrain of that area. Cedar Point has no such terrain to work with, sadly.

Yup. Not to mention that, to the best of my knowledge, a tunnel wouldn't "bring back memories for people who follow Cedar Fair."

One more point, there is NOTHING contradictory or even inconsistent in saying that not all thrill rides are coasters and building a coaster. CP likes its misdirection--I mean where is the 2010 attraction "Whyte Lightning?"

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

The "Whyte Lightning" thing wasn't so much mis-direction as it was people reading way too much into minor clues.

In fact "Whyte Lightning" was used quite a bit in the promotional materials and theming for StR.

And no, a single flat wouldn't need to occupy those two places, but you assume that the two sites are related. It could be that a flat is going in to one this year and another flat or coaster next year into the other. Both spaces don't have to be used in the same construction project.

Goodbye MrScott

John

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service