Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

well im still hoping but my hopes going down less and less. i dont think it will be a coaster :/

For those who are interested in more information regarding marking of existing utilities, here is the website for the "Ohio Utilities Protection Service" (OUPS)

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Interesting read. Thanks for the link.

What we have so far appears to be:

One buried electrical line, marked in red.

One (or more?) buried water lines marked in blue.

Three stakes, perhaps signifying the construction site, and possibly indicating footer locations for a tower.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

A new roller coaster would not need much publicity. Or not as much as a thrill or water ride would need. The Park: "Hey we have a new log flume!" The Public: "Well aren't you special! So does every other park." Therefore talking it up makes the public want to go... The Park: Hey we have a new woodie on the beach!" The Public: "OMG NO OTHER PARK IN THE AREA DOES!!!" See the difference...

TTD Rollback(s): 1

So any clues on the new ride?

Anyone see this yet?

http://bit.ly/abwnZc

gci2011 said:
Anyone see this yet?

http://bit.ly/abwnZc

Yes many people have posted that.

Ok I could see Cedar Point getting the new tower :/, and then a new coaster in 2012 :).

Tim Seydell: The red markers in those photos form a "Y," with the leg of the Y extending from the corner of Planet Snoopy to the Resort Gate, and the top extending from the Resort Gate to behind the Extreme Sports Stadium, and the from the Resort Gate to an electrical pad on the Boardwalk, outside the park, just past Ocean Motion. Hope that clarifies for you.

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

well the 2? or 3? part i think concludes that the stakes are done and that there are only three stakes...but maybe not

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

I took pictures of those stakes a week ago and no one said anything. They were by the wicked twister and I only saw 2 of them. But they were on the other side of the fence where the public was not roped off from. But maybe they added more or I didn't see the third.

Here's the picture again:
http://cpcpcp111.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=90812145
(click full screen)

Last edited by !,

i think the 3rd one is somewhere near OM...in the cement if i remember right (from other pics)

People who don't know me think I'm quiet...People who do, wish i was!

DBCP said:
Tim Seydell: The red markers in those photos form a "Y," with the leg of the Y extending from the corner of Planet Snoopy to the Resort Gate, and the top extending from the Resort Gate to behind the Extreme Sports Stadium, and the from the Resort Gate to an electrical pad on the Boardwalk, outside the park, just past Ocean Motion. Hope that clarifies for you.

Thanks a bunch DBCP, makes more sense now. Just to add to Ensign Smiths comment, there are also markings for the sewer pipes in green. Still haven't seen the White - Proposed Excavation markings yet, but I'm assuming they have a fairly large area to dig up if they are marking the lines in the surrounding area.

Real quick, anyone heard anything about the parasail company not being there next year? Its in the general area.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

I havent heard about that.

It's not like it would be hard to move the parasail place. It's just a booth on the beach.

Ensign Smith said:
Three stakes, perhaps signifying the construction site, and possibly indicating footer locations for a tower.

Why would the stakes indicate that? I understand the stakes to simply be a way to mark the beach for utilities. After all, it's not like you can spray paint sand.

Brandon

I still don't get why everyone seems so convinced Cedar Point is getting a "Star Flyer." I have never heard of this type of ride, but I looked it up and it is essentially the same type of swing located near Maverick, with the only difference being that it is much taller.

I simply cannot see Cedar Point getting such a ride, or making an August announcement timed with season ticket sales in a year where there has been a four-year gap since Maverick and the CEO who is known for bringing roller coasters to the park may be retiring. Does anyone really see August rolling around and Cedar Point making the announcement "Come to Cedar Point in 2011 and we'll take you up slowly to 200 feet, spin you around at 30 MPH for 60 seconds, and slowly bring you back down?" I just cannot see it. And wouldn't the capacity of such a ride be horrendous?

I also don't buy into many of the comments made about the ride by Kinzel. He has made no concrete comments other than that it will be a "thrill ride" which could mean any number of things.

Please don't misunderstand me; I am not saying that such a ride wouldn't be thrilling once, but it is not a ride that brings people to a park and certainly not a ride that brings people back. I stick to my original guess: Gravity Group twister named Cyclone.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
I still don't get why everyone seems so convinced Cedar Point is getting a "Star Flyer." I have never heard of this type of ride, but I looked it up and it is essentially the same type of swing located near Maverick, with the only difference being that it is much taller.

First of all, the two rides are nothing alike, much the same way that Demon Drop and Power Tower were nothing alike, aside from the direction of travel. If we were to apply your "logic" to the entire park, there would probably be 5 total rides instead of almost 70.

I simply cannot see Cedar Point getting such a ride...

I read that paragraph as I really want next year's attraction to be a coaster, so I'm going to ignore what we know about the attraction in favor of imganing what I hope it to be. :)

{Kinzel} has made no concrete comments other than that it will be a "thrill ride"...

Not true. He implied it wouldn't be a coaster, and said (concretely) that it would NOT be an Intamin product.

I get that you really want the attraction to be a coaster, but there is no evidence to support next year's attraction being a coaster, and plenty of evidence supporting it being a smaller (in footprint, compared to a coaster) thrill ride.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

As a delusional coaster hopeful, a 200 ft.+ star flyer isn't a bad consolation prize, IMO.

Also, a starflyer on the beach = many wind closures. I don't see it. The ride is so unproven as well...not CP's style.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service