Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

No.
:)

Promoter of fog.

Oh ok.

TTD 120mph said:
skiboi007, I'm pretty sure Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is the first "robocoaster" installment to date.

I would disagree if you are saying that the company does not have any of their "robocoaster" line installed in other parks to date... Multiple other parks (including Disney) have their fixed/stationary model in various installations.
However Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey I would not be surprised at all being the 1st installation of their G2 model that runs on a recirculating track. Having multiple rides on it a few weeks ago, I would be very intrigued with what they can do with their G3 line on "fully blown roller coaster track".

Ffej said:
...since we apparently have the same motion sickness, have you ridden Wave Swinger recently? If so, does that bother you? I haven't ridden it since I was kid.

Not a chance. :)

Anything that spins affects me adversely, so I'm reluctant to try anything that might ruin my day.

Brandon

I had to ride Wave Swinger on Saturday based on the rumors of a star flyer. I think, if I didn't totally crap my pants, it would be a very enjoyable ride out on the beach. It would be an EPIC view (especially at night) of the entire park, beach, and lake.

I'm all for it. Admittedly, I hope Dick's ego takes over and he puts up the worlds tallest one. :)

djDaemon said:

Anything that spins affects me adversely...

I hate to imagine what watching Fox News does to you! ;)

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

I'm starting to think that the date planned for the 2011 announcement (mid august) is too early for a thrill ride but too late for a roller coaster. And as much as I hate to say it, if there was a new coaster coming, we should have seen SOMETHING by now.

The only hope I still have for a coaster now is the land clearing. If they are building "near the beach" they night be redoing the area of beach that the public is closed off to (by the fence near WT and beyond) by putting in grass, rocks, boardwalk, etc.

Looking at only the area of former Demon Drop, it looks like there isn't enough room for a big thrill ride (and a queue) but maybe a station for a new coaster. What do you think?

I don't think it is necessarily the layout constraints that are bothering the coaster hopefuls as much as all of the hints that have been dropped. Kinzel has all but said (maybe even said based on the "more to coasters" debate) that the ride is not going to be a coaster.

Is it some weird trick to make us happy when a coaster is announced? Maybe, but that is a stretch, IMO.

Maverick wasn't announced until September of 2006, although construction did begin a year earlier due to the removal of WWL.

maXair and SkyHawk were both announced September (iirc).

Dragster wasn't announced until January of 2003. Construction didn't begin until mid/late August (iirc). Track wasn't spotted until mid-August.

Wicked Twister wasn't announced until November.

Millenium was announced late July, but construction hadn't started yet.

Power Tower was announced August 20th.

Mantis was announced in November.

Banshee was announced in September.

Raptor was announced September 1st.

So, there really is no concrete correlation between a ride being announced and whether it is a coaster or flat.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Ensign Smith said:

djDaemon said:
Anything that spins affects me adversely...

I hate to imagine what watching Fox News does to you! ;)

It's not often that I actually LOL. But that did it. :)

Brandon

! said:
I'm starting to think that the date planned for the 2011 announcement (mid august) is too early for a thrill ride but too late for a roller coaster.

I get the impression that they're announcing early in order to have some good news to share, in light of all the bad news recently - debt troubles, buyout catastrophe, Shoot the Rapids.

I don't really buy the season pass boost angle. But what do I know?

Brandon

Everyone knows that pocket-less, uninsulated wind breakers are a better draw to season passes than announcing a ride.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I hope they announce the announcement date far sooner in advance then they did last year. If I'm not mistaken the official announcement date was announced two days ahead of time last year for StR.

I'd love to have a 10 day heads up or so to really get the hype machine going.

I would argue against that, but it is fun to watch the wave of anticipointment when the park finally announces the ride.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Like last year, when I was all painted up in white with my "Lightning Stykes Twyce!!! Bring on the Millennium Force Dueler" sign, only to smash it to pieces after refreshing the Cedar Point homepage at 9:10...?

But seriously, anyone who was blown away with where/what StR was just wasn't paying attention.

In a sense I guess we already have our heads up, "mid August", hopefully that means somewhere between the 10th and 20th.

To correct a few dates...

MaXair was announced in early December 2004.

Skyhawk was announced at the end of October 2005.

Dragster construction started in pre-season 2002 (Dodgem II removal).

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

skiboi007 said:I would disagree if you are saying that the company does not have any of their "robocoaster" line installed in other parks to date... Multiple other parks (including Disney) have their fixed/stationary model in various installations.However Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey I would not be surprised at all being the 1st installation of their G2 model that runs on a recirculating track.

I'm aware of the Kuka Arm at Legoland and the arms they use at Disneys Stunt track, but this is to the first robocoaster.....or rather I should say the first installment of what they truly had in mind for the technology. By that I mean the motion simulation/scene interaction ride aspect. I guess I should have worded my first post better.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

So, not to change the subject. But, with the accident recently in Russia, I became aware of this ride. It's definitely a thrill ride and would also be something that brings back memories of Cedar Point's past.

http://www.funtime.com.au/data/index8.htm

Cedar Point's past:

I believe this ride's cabin's were eventually replaced with rockets similar to the ride at Euclid Beach and Geauga Lake.

<edit>

To clarify, I'm not saying this is what will be coming. I'm just saying that it could be said that it fits the clues.

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

If Cedar Point got something like that I would probably cry...and I don't mean from joy. ;)

-Mike

^^ I was thinking the same thing. The rockets were silver and red. I can not remember the name of them.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service