Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Jason: Yeah, I should have made that clearer, and I guess motion sickness would vary by the person. As I've gotten older though, Max Air and Wicked Twister are becoming barely rideable for me...the spinning motion sickness is overpowering what I once felt were top rides.

Sky Hawk, on the other hand, is still very enjoyable (maybe it's the shorter ride cycle?). It's a good point that I should hop on Wave Swinger to see how I feel.

I'm just curious if a Starflyer feels much faster or more intense with the larger radius, or if it feels basically like a Wave Swinger up near 400 feet?

well to tell you the truth, I don't think we will have to worry about something so simple coming to Cedar Point. It has already been hinted that the 2011 ride is dedicated to thrill riders!

Trust me, Starflyers are thrill rides.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Yeah, I was reading through some reviews of Starflyers, and a couple people said they've been on countless roller coasters, drop towers, slingshots, etc., and the Starflyer was easily the scariest thing they'd ever been on.

Seems like it would be a great choice to me. It seems like a simple concept on paper, but if you got to the top of TTD, got on a flimsy-looking swing, and swung around the tower near sideways, I think the experience would be a little more extreme than one would think.

The more I have looked at these puppies, I have to admit, that would be one scary ride; especially at night....but completely exhilarating.

Promoter of fog.

Kyle2154 said:
I realize you're halfway joking crazy, but on that same point, I could have sworn I saw an "etreme rides" type show a few months back that showed a star flyer. The seat and lab "bar" was the exact same as the ones on wave swinger. It looked really freaky!

This makes sense, wouldn't centrifugal force alone keep a rider glued to the seat as long as there are no abrupt changes in velocity. So there wouldn't be a need for crazy otsr. And after watching a clip of one, it looks like it is a pretty smooth transition from standstill to moving and back to standstill

^True, but the laws of physics will also keep you in a Corkscrew train when it inverts, but we still have OSTRs on that bad boy.

Yes, but given the right circumstances, the coaster may not go fast enough to keep you in the seat. Also, there have been loopers that hve gotten stuck upside down before.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Does anybody have a link of what a Star Flyer does and what parks have them so far?

Ok has anyone suggested either of these for 2011?

http://www.robocoaster.com/content/g2-robot-systems
http://www.robocoaster.com/content/g3-robot-systems

From what I could tell when I was at Universal Orlando a few weeks ago the New Harry Potter ride seems to be using their g2 system but heavily custom built to do kick-butt integration of motion films sequences and seamless transition into live action prop sets for a very high capacity and what can be a very "thrilling" (dare I say it) darkride. Granted Universal did tame their ride back a bit for families but they do tilt you around quite a bit during the ride where the OTSR is quite warranted.

The sheer motion precision and power that these things can move you at is very thrilling. Does anyone know if the company has built one of the g3 models anywhere in the world yet?

Last edited by skiboi007,

Ffej said:
As I've gotten older though, Max Air and Wicked Twister are becoming barely rideable for me...the spinning motion sickness is overpowering what I once felt were top rides.

Sky Hawk, on the other hand, is still very enjoyable (maybe it's the shorter ride cycle?).

As a kid, I could marathon Witches' Wheel all day, but just watching it for too long today makes me dizzy. In order to ride WT, I need to take Dramamine. And as much as I'd love to try it, Maxair looks like it would end my day early (even watching the HD on-ride video was difficult!).

But, like you, I can ride Skyhawk with almost no problem. The worst part of that ride is the slow down, which gives me just a dusting of dizziness, but nothing that I can't recover from in a few minutes.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

^maXair in my opinion is the worst ride for motion sickness. Even Wave Swinger sometimes doesn't work for me.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

skiboi007, I'm pretty sure Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is the first "robocoaster" installment to date.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I don't get the motion sickness on MaXair at all. Seems like the swing takes away a good bit of the spin from what I can feel. Now Wave Swinger, thats another story all together. I got on that thing one time 6 years ago with my wife. After the ride I didn't think I'd find a restroom quick enough. Never been on it since. When everyone else wants to ride, it's an automatic that I will be sitting with the 4 year old until they're done :). Seeing the pictures of the Star Flyer, I think that's another I would have to avoid.

Last edited by Chase Gilbert,

Same thing here. I have major motion sickness problems when it comes to anything that spins but for some reason MaXair doesn't get me.

-Mike

I think Cedar Point really needs a new roller coaster. I think a floorless dive coaster would be perfect(:. Im new so please no haters?

djDaemon said:

As a kid, I could marathon Witches' Wheel all day, but just watching it for too long today makes me dizzy. In order to ride WT, I need to take Dramamine. And as much as I'd love to try it, Maxair looks like it would end my day early (even watching the HD on-ride video was difficult!).

Yeah, after a full day of riding, I took Dramamine before 2 X Raptor > Wicked Twister > Maxair, all within 30 minutes, and that ended my trip. I had a feeling of panic that I was going to puke on Maxair, but I managed to hold back since I hadn't eaten anything. That's the one time I'll thank Cedar Point for their high food prices!

Anyway, since we apparently have the same motion sickness, have you ridden Wave Swinger recently? If so, does that bother you? I haven't ridden it since I was kid.

So that I don't hijack the 2011 thread, I'm going to start a new topic in general...

I never get motion sickness, i could ride max air 24/7 and feel fine. I can ride any spinning ride, infact i LOVE spinning rides.

Monster is the ride that comes closest to making me sick.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Has there been any more ideas on the new ride? Or hints?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service