Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

decil76 said:

Mstr Gra-c said:
Just throwing this onto the "Its gonna be a Dark Ride" fire. Remember "The Pirate Ride" (honestly I forget what its actual name was...sorry). It was over by the Blue Streak. Well, if they were to put in a new dark ride it would evoke memories of that old ride. And as dumb as this sounds...if it had a vampire theme ala Twilight (I know Im throwing up as I type this) it could be scary...thus thrilling and appealing to teenagers at the same time.

Someone already mentioned this ofcourse (The Vampire dark ride bit), but the fact that CP had a Dark Ride at one time would fit with the evocation of CP past as well.

Notice he did say vampire ride... we know if CP did it, it would be generic vampires, not specific movie. Which is a good thing, I think. Although personally, I would prefer it not be vampires, since vampires are kinda lame IMO. Plus, if it's gonna be a dark ride, would prefer something a little more for all ages.

I'm kinda feeling at the moment that it could be dark ride. It kinda fits the clues. Could be Mouse in a box like the Dark Knight coasters. But I think a Sally ride like Buzz Lightyear ride at Magic Kingdom or Gobbler Getaway at HolidayWorld would be a lot more fun and fill in a missing niche better. Hate to see that go in along the beach though.

Well, it seems as if one person actually read my post! Ofcourse it will not be Twilight themed...hence why I said "Vampire Themed" ALA (Like) Twilight. The property rights would be astronomical.

Furthermore, I will restate my prior thought about "thrill ride" vs. "dark ride". If a dark ride is scary...it could therefore be thrilling.

That, being said. 1) I have no idea what the ride is going to be...Im just spitballin' here. 2) I hate all things vampire...yes I agree they are totally lame. 3) I hope to the CP Gods that it is a new coaster...thats my dream. And I think a good sized, well conceived wooden coaster on the beach would be a great idea.

djDaemon said:
Plus, "laser" guns seem to be something most teens would be into, if the popularity of "first-person shooter" video games is any indication.

I think you're a bit off on this one. Unless it's a Men in Black (yeah right!) type ride, I think "lasers" only pertain to the 10 year old boy demographic.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

But I'm not talking about laser tag. The FPS genre is immensely popular with teens & adults. So popular, in fact, that there are sub-genres of FPS games. That's why I think a dark ride (done properly) could be considered a thrill ride that would be teen-centric.

Brandon

It would have to be done in a very different way from Boo Blasters for teens to be riding. When we went to KI Boo Blasters was filled with families and it's a great family ride, heck it would be a great addition to CP for the family market, but it's the farthest thing from teen oriented I can imagine.

Don't get me wrong, they could certainly make a dark ride thrilling, just don't hire whoever does Boo Blasters.

Are they really going to throw up back to back beach-blocking-boxes on the beach though?

I certainly hope not, but with Kinzel, who knows. He has the foresight of a blind man walking backwards.

Brandon

Kyle2154 said:
Are they really going to throw up back to back beach-blocking-boxes on the beach though?

Well, you certainly couldn't put up a beach-blocking box on the bay side of the peninsula. ;)

Goodbye MrScott

John

hillary&bryanLOVEcp said:
I really hope it's not another flat ride...we have had a few of those in the past few years (Skyhawk and MaxAir).

Yeah, but it's been 4 years, and in the mean time we've gotten a new coaster ('07), a kid's area upgrade ('08), and a water ride ('09). That's a decent amount of variety in between.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

As much as I want a coaster and that want is backed slightly by the "memories" comment, it's outweighed by all the "thrill seeker", "ride", and "teen" talk. Not to mention Dick's only comment about a coaster thus far was the one downplaying coasters.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's a flat with some boardwalk/midway work out on the beach. Flat -> Thrill seeker, boardwalk -> memories.

I have to say I agree with Kyle...sadly though. I think sometimes we want a coaster so bad that we twist and contort everything in any way we can to try and make it be true...when in reality the clues are very straight forward. Although, a dark ride does sound kind of lame...

But! It is funny because just as my friend and I were in line for the Wicked Twister last week we did mention how much we loved going to the WT to be by the beach for a little bit! So it will be nice to check out no matter what happens if they're constructing something new by the beach!

-h&b<3cp

Ok, here's my next suggestion. How about one of these.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Ouch!!!

I have been on one of those, and trust me when I say they suck.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yeah...but it's also been 4 years since the latest coaster not to mention 20 years since the last wooden coaster. Plus, we got Skyhawk and Maxair in back to back years

-h&b<3cp

Everyone puts Kinzel down, but if it wasn't for him we probobly wouldn't have all the great coasters to ride at CP would we?

Nobody argues that what he did do wasn't great for the park or the company. But he has held on too long and is becoming more of a liability than an asset.

Goodbye MrScott

John

For the record, I was only kidding about the Twilight theme, that's why in my own post I downplayed it. Twilight has become a bit of a joke here with friends and what not. Sarcasm is hard to read online sometimes :)

About Kinzel, right now is a tough time for the park (more specifically the economy) and I'm glad we have someone in there that's been around long enough to know how to keep things on the level, however, a fresh mind is always a good thing.

HillaryandBryan, I know some people last year were a little disappointed by STR, but one of the big things people noticed right away was the upside-down Millennium Force logo on the hint/bottle. Could be that's why he keeps saying "thrill ride", so as to not have people expecting something else. The "near beach" hint this year could be throwing people off though too, if he just meant the location and not that a view of it would be impressive.

I also should take back my comments about the history, when he said history it doesn't mean early 1900's, the Corkscrew is considered history (1976).

Did anyone think to read the meaning beneath the meaning of history? I honestly have no clue but he could've meant that it will make history and not refer to history. Like I said, I'm clueless and just thought I'd throw it out there.

-Mike

Hmmm... "history"... HIS story... HIStory? OMG! That's it!

It's going to be a Michael Jackson-themed ride! You know, for kids!

Brandon

That's a pretty poor theme.

Normally you try to choose something that kids can't ride in real life to be your theme.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Bazinga

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

johnny1note said:
Everyone puts Kinzel down, but if it wasn't for him we probably wouldn't have all the great coasters to ride at CP would we?

I agree Kinzel was great in his day, but "his day" has long past!!! The Point used to be my favorite park but not anymore. He's (Big Dick) let the place deteriorate, and the employee attitudes have followed! They (all Cedar Fair parks) have done a complete roll reversal with 6 Flags. At 6 Flags employees are happy (mostly) and actually like having the customers there. At Cedar Point it's like we're disturbing them. All this attitude comes from the top. Let's get someone to restore the old Cedar Point attitudes of years gone by.

coasternut

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service