Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

How about an Aviator or a Revolution 32? I tend to think Huss is out of the running, but I base that solely on their maintenance record of late. No Intamin makes me think it won't be a drop tower.

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

A Revolution is too much like maXair. So I don't see that as being an option.

Goodbye MrScott

John

If it is a thrill ride, why would they announce it in the middle of August? Unless it is something VERY new to the market & unique, it doesn't make sense to go along and announce something not that major.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Kinzel said (in the same interview) the announcement will come in August to coincide with the sale of season passes. Regardless of what the new ride is, that is a good strategy.

Promoter of fog.

Just throwing this onto the "Its gonna be a Dark Ride" fire. Remember "The Pirate Ride" (honestly I forget what its actual name was...sorry). It was over by the Blue Streak. Well, if they were to put in a new dark ride it would evoke memories of that old ride. And as dumb as this sounds...if it had a vampire theme ala Twilight (I know Im throwing up as I type this) it could be scary...thus thrilling and appealing to teenagers at the same time.

Someone already mentioned this ofcourse (The Vampire dark ride bit), but the fact that CP had a Dark Ride at one time would fit with the evocation of CP past as well.

Last edited by Mstr Gra-c,

The actual name was Pirate Ride. :)

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Jason Hammond said:
The actual name was Pirate Ride. :)

Aaaahhh...how creative.

First came "Pirate Ride"... then Cedar Fair spread their amazing naming strategy to some of the Paramount Parks with the thrilling "Drop Tower"... I'm really looking forward for Cedar Point's newest scream machine "Roller Coaster"...

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004

Wooden Coaster 1 has just made an emergency stop!

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

Well considering my coastermania winning movie "Dark Ride", perhaps I wasn't too far off. ;)

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Allthough it does not scream "thrill ride", a shooter dark ride would be a hit at cp.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

As an avid follower of these and many other speculation forums, I/we have finally joined ourselves. We're just a couple of friends and Ohioans and most importantly big fans of the greatest amusement park in the world!

Now, with introductions out of the way I'd like to start by saying...I HOPE IT'S A COASTER!!! Haha, but I'm afraid of getting burned like we did last year with STR. With that being said, in the latest interview DKinzel mentioned two things that made truly make me believe it is NOT a coaster...the comment about "all thrill rides not being coasters" and the mention of it appealing to teens. The good thing about the teen comment as someone mentioned before is that Cycone's tagline included mention of "striking fear in teenagers" and becoming a rite of passage.

I really hope it's not another flat ride...we have had a few of those in the past few years (Skyhawk and MaxAir). I really do think it's time for something big, but that could just be me and my wishful hopes and dreams. In other news, it seems like Tony & Tyler have begun their little games with this weeks Point Poll!

-h&b<3cp

I dont think they are going to sink money into one movie to make a dark ride. So I don't plan on ever seeing a twilight dark ride at cedar point or any cedar fair park. On the other hand the Boo Hill theme could work with some suprise elements like the coaster Th13teen that Alton towers has, basically a 10 or 20 foot free fall in the dark. That could easily make a dark ride a thrill ride.

Shoot the rapids, tame and dry. Thunder Canyon, wet and laughter. Snake River Falls, soaked and smiling. White Water Landing and the old shoot the rapids, Fun and missed.

Right now my biggest hope is the announcement time, I think it's something they won't be able to hide as they are building, or something that is going to take quite a while to build (coaster?) Obviously the beach is going to have a good view of it or he wouldn't have given it that hint, that's why I find it hard to believe it will be a flat ride.

As far as something big going in, I would think it would be in Cedar Points best interests to wait until someone else breaks (say the 500 foot mark), since every time Cedar Point breaks a record someone else gets one a few feet taller. That way they can build it bigger and claim the title for a lot more years.

My comment with the Cyclone rite of passage, it's all I can wrap my brain around that would incorporate history and teen market at the same time. While I'd love to see a new record being broken, it just doesn't sound like it with the hints that are being given.

What's popular as a teen, cars, music, video games, movies? Please for the love of God don't be a twilight ride....but I don't see how that's related to history (phew)

Tim Seydell said:

What's popular as a teen, cars, music, video games, movies? Please for the love of God don't be a twilight ride....but I don't see how that's related to history (phew)

Not to mention the sheer amount of money it would take to get the rights to use the name on the ride.

If Cedar Fair abandoned Nickelodeon licensing for Snoopy, ain't no way they're gonna shell out for something like that. Period.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Especially with the financial times they are going through at the moment.

Mstr Gra-c said:
Just throwing this onto the "Its gonna be a Dark Ride" fire. Remember "The Pirate Ride" (honestly I forget what its actual name was...sorry). It was over by the Blue Streak. Well, if they were to put in a new dark ride it would evoke memories of that old ride. And as dumb as this sounds...if it had a vampire theme ala Twilight (I know Im throwing up as I type this) it could be scary...thus thrilling and appealing to teenagers at the same time.

Someone already mentioned this ofcourse (The Vampire dark ride bit), but the fact that CP had a Dark Ride at one time would fit with the evocation of CP past as well.

Notice he did say vampire ride... we know if CP did it, it would be generic vampires, not specific movie. Which is a good thing, I think. Although personally, I would prefer it not be vampires, since vampires are kinda lame IMO. Plus, if it's gonna be a dark ride, would prefer something a little more for all ages.

I'm kinda feeling at the moment that it could be dark ride. It kinda fits the clues. Could be Mouse in a box like the Dark Knight coasters. But I think a Sally ride like Buzz Lightyear ride at Magic Kingdom or Gobbler Getaway at HolidayWorld would be a lot more fun and fill in a missing niche better. Hate to see that go in along the beach though.

1.Raptor 2.Maverick 3.SV 3.MF 4.Rougarou 5.GK 6.Valravn 7.BS 8.WT 9.Gemini 10.CCMR 11.Magnum 12.TTD 13.CS 15.WE 16.ID

I wouldn't exactly call a dark ride like Gobbler's Getaway a thrill ride though, wouldn't you agree?

Depends somewhat on how it's themed, but I think one could make the argument that a dark ride can be a thrill ride. Plus, "laser" guns seem to be something most teens would be into, if the popularity of "first-person shooter" video games is any indication.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service