Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Remember in the past how CP would build up enormous hype and usually something big comes up? Maverick and TTD were backed up by HUGE amounts of hype, heck, they tried to keep TTD a secret untill opening season. I hope the same is with this ride, but we all remember what CP did with STR, almost everyone was expecting something huge. The way he said it will be back memories screams woodie to me, because over 8 were built before Blue Streak on the beach, and we know the ride is on the beach.

Mean Streak, Mantis, Millennium Force, Magnum Xl 200, and Maverick, The 5 biggest and best rides. -Staying in the cabins July 22-26! CAN'T WAIT-

Ok that didn't post right, anyways the comment on the site was..this monster struck fear into the hearts of many; riding it became a rite of passage for many visiting teenagers. http://www.walkervilletimes.com/36/cedar-point.html

How about the world's first inverting Disk'o? That might be interesting.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

If not a woodie on the beach, I vote for a 21st century Jumbo Jet! I was always scared to death of that ride. And the year I summoned the courage to ride it, they took it out! :(

I didn't see this part of the quote until I saw it laid out on the main watch page today: "something I really think the teen market will enjoy" - Dick K. I think a wooden coaster would be enjoyed, at least hopefully, by a lot more than just the teen market, hm...

But then he did say that not all thrill rides are coasters. And as Mike mentioned, Dick doesn't seem smart enough to engage in sophisticated word play.

Sure doesn't sound like it's going to be a coaster.

Brandon

Maybe the wooden coaster that was supposwd to go to Great America is going to CP instead.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

So what "thrill ride" would "be something the teen market would enjoy" and "bring back memories"? Teenagers don't have memories yet. :)

It does seem like an odd combination. Teens only would seem to indicate a thrill ride IMO and "memories" sounds like a rather tame woodie out on the beach.

Unless of course...it's a dark ride?

Pete, that GCI (see here and here) seems to take up a lot of space, relative the area CP's 2011 attraction will go. I'm not saying CP isn't getting a GCI next, just probably not that exact GCI, or any close relative of it. If a wooden coaster goes up in that area, I'd expect a narrower layout (unless there are several rides marked for removal and/or relocation).

Brandon

I find it interesting when Dick was asked about the new ride (2011), he started by answering it this way:

"...the flume ride (Shoot the Rapids) was really due to be introduced last year, but the economy turned. Remember that in November of 2008 the banks crashed. We had a pretty good feeling it was going to be a bad year ... so we put that off for a year."

So why does he start answering 2011 by stating that the 2010 attraction was suppose to go in, in 2009? Just being overly optimistic, but does that mean 2009 was suppose to be StR, 2010 was an "off" year, and 2011 was/is going to be something big?

You are correct about 2009 being the year STR was supposed to debut, but none of us know about 2011 being saved for something "big"...which of course means coaster.

Maybe his comments are just nonsense, but going strictly by what Kinzel is saying, it certainly does not sound like a coaster at all.

Promoter of fog.

"Big" is indeed relative. To me StR, at $11 million, is a big attraction.

Brandon

But not to Dick Kinzel. Shoot the Rapids is probably "boring" to him. No records broken? Snooze.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Ha! True, but to be clear Dick never claimed that the ride being installed next year was "big".

Brandon

^Kyle2154 That does seem a little odd, maybe it might be a big year in CP, with a thrill ride, like that Top Star ride, but maybe a rollercoaster with it on the beach, of course a woodie to bring back memories. But what I think he meant by "memories" was having the craziest attraction in the whole world in the park, which we have came to be so used to in the past, or having the largest coaster count. Sorry, I'm new to PointBuzz, I'm just trying to keep myself optimistic!

Last edited by The5M'sAtThePoint,

Mean Streak, Mantis, Millennium Force, Magnum Xl 200, and Maverick, The 5 biggest and best rides. -Staying in the cabins July 22-26! CAN'T WAIT-

^ 5M's I was thinking the same thing. When he said brings back memories I was thinking in terms of being record breaking. (excluding just number of coasters at one park) If you think about it, the last time we had an installment that was record breaking in many ways was Top Thrill Dragster in 2003. That is a solid 7 year span without a ride that makes people's jaws drop at the thought of it. I'm on board with most people here who say it will be a woodie but I don't think its going to be small. I think its going to be innovative and break some records. That would bring back 'memories' of building record breaking rides, draw in thrill seekers and have a big fan base of teenagers. I'm 25 but I know when I was a teenager all I cared about were roller coasters and riding the biggest fastest ones in the park. (that's how I still am today though)

After his "all thrill rides aren't coasters" comment I'm getting myself prepared to be disappointed...again.

Maybe they'll build onto the stadium and stick some dark ride in there?

*shrug*

^Yeah, as much as I want a new wood coaster I just can't get passed those "all thrill rides aren't coasters" quotes.

Word. And with the "teen" quote it's looking like some kind of flat.

Last edited by Kyle2154,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service