Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Also, it fits with the onpoint blog poll. the ride is literally a big "poll" more or less.

Ensign Smith said:
Lance is now making up stories that the new attraction may actually be some sort of next generation Intamin Starflyer.

Edited for accuracy. ;)

Goodbye MrScott

John

Interestingly, the poll on the OnPoint! blog said:

Speaking of polls, let's go ahead and throw a new one up there. This one's a little more...how do we put it...fun?

Now, it could be nothing, but they use the word "fun". Funtime makes the Starflyer.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Wow. That thing scares the bejeezus out of me, and I used to skydive.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Yeah... I love a good thrill, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy that. Especially being an engineer. A damn LOT has to fail on a ride like Power Tower for there to be a catastrophic failure. On the Starflyer, it looks like only a cable separates riders from their demise.

Brandon

Well, at least it won't be an Intamin cable.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Yikes! That would certainly be a thrill. It would provide for an amazing view though.

Wonder if CP would push it up over 400 ft....?

Well, the higher they go, the more they have to sacrifice capacity. And being that it's advertised as having a capacity of 600pph (at ~200 feet), I don't even want to know what would happen north of 300 feet.

Brandon

I rode the one (or a very similar ride) at Marineland years back. I don't believe it was as tall as the examples given here, and it was enough to get my pulse up a little bit.

The Vienna is 117m high, wow. Is that the tallest ride like this in the world?

Probably, at around 380 feet. So yeah, Kinzel would have to make his bigger.

I'd love to see what that would do to capacity.

Brandon

Scratch what I said. I just looked it up, and what I rode at Marineland was Sky Hawk (ha!), which is very different from the ride in the Vienna video. Funny, I coulda sworn I rode this somewhere...too many parks, I guess.

Couldn't they just make it go up the shaft quicker? Or stay at the top a little less long? It would be foolish to make one that goes 350 ft high climb as slow as one that goes 150 ft high.

I have been on the start flyer at martins fantasy land, and really enjoyed the ride.

By the way, here are some pictures of the ride.....

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/57417.aspx

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Or, being CP, they could conceivably build more than one tower.

crazy horse said:

By the way, here are some pictures of the ride.....

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/57417.aspx

That's it! That's where I rode it. Thanks, crazy. Ironically, you made feel less. Crazy, that is.

Edit: sorry 'bout the double post.

Last edited by Ensign Smith,

Kyle2154 said:
Couldn't they just make it go up the shaft quicker? Or stay at the top a little less long? It would be foolish to make one that goes 350 ft high climb as slow as one that goes 150 ft high.

Well, it would be foolish, unless there are design constraints. Accelerating a large mass (ride carriage + occupants) requires a substantial amount of force.

I would suspect that if increasing that ride's capacity were as simple as that, they'd have done so to the existing design, so as to increase it from the abysmal 600pph.

Mike's probably got the best solution - just build more than one, much like Power Tower.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Get back to the roller coaster rumors, or flat - flat ride, That scares the Beep out of me, saw one on a Ultimate Thrill TV Show, I decided, no way would I get on one of those. Wave swinger is a little scary at 20 ft off the ground. :)

GATEKEEPER-I came, I rode, I was mildly disappointed; until a second ride (rear left) put GateKeeper back on the...it's a nice ride list.

Does anyone have the capacity on the Vienna Starflyer? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it.

Best I can find is that ride cycle is 2 minutes with 24 passengers. Can probably double that for load/unload. So 4 minutes total, which is 15 cyles/hr. That gets to only 360 rph.

People complain about SkyHawk being short, so I can't even begin to imagine the complaints about this ride.

Source Although I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is as 1 picture is NOT the 117m Vienna Starflyer, and the other is. There are a lot of sites showing pictures of the one on the left as the Vienna Starflyer, so I wonder if an original was replaced with the new 117m model.

Goodbye MrScott

John

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service