Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

So since we have demonstrated that all different types of rides have been announced at all different times of the year, can we can stop using the 'omg they are annoncing it so earlee it must be so BIGZ!'.

TTD had the first few sections of the tower built by late August of 2002 and they didn't announce it until what... Christmas time?

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Well if I remember correctly they tried to keep TTD a secret for a long time but it didn't work out so they released the info. early.

I read the full interview with DK and it really made it sound like it won't be a coaster. Just the way he said, "All thrill rides aren't coasters". It makes it sound like he's saying, look people, just get over it. We're not building one this year. (as much as i want one :()

-Mike

I believe TTD was originally going to be announced late summer/early fall '02, then they decided to keep the suspense until January '03.

Anyway, the new ride will be a monorail like there was many years ago(bring back memories), but will be high speed (for the thrills!). It's route will include a trip through DT's building, similar to WDW's People Mover and Space Mountain setup! lol ;)

Minime15834 said:
Tony said on twitter..."I'm still remembering my chat with Tyler..I asked if he could give an idea where it would be, he responded "There's a lot of spots!".

Know where else there are a lot of spots? There is a beach near by too..
Another little note I was just reminded of about preparing for a ride is that Mill Race ran clear through August before being dismantled for Raptor.

Last edited by realmadrid311,

It's gonna look more like this....

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/57417.aspx?id=807797

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Minime15834 said:
I came across this a little bit ago...

Tony said on twitter..."I'm still remembering my chat with Tyler..I asked if he could give an idea where it would be, he responded "There's a lot of spots!" :O

A lot of spots (maybe like dots?)..as in all of the sewage and electrical and water markings? This could possibly be referring to those.

First, I browse this forum daily, just never created an account.. second. Tony never tweeted that. Nor did Cedar Point. That was my tweet. In reference to my short interview when I got lucky meeting tyler at castaway bay.

Twitter link: http://twitter.com/FerasH/status/18317882440

Youtube Interview?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asNW7oo3-lo

Sorry to be such a push ass, but I just didn't want any misinformation floating around :)

^Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why I never saw that on twitter. After watching that I think by "lots of spots" he means there are lots of possibilities.

Oh okay good thing you cleared that up. I was kinda wondering because it didn't say it was from Tony but I wasn't sure.

-Mike

The Vienna Starflyer is chilling! As much as I want a new coaster, I'd be satisfied with that. Just looking at that brings back my childhood fear of carnival ferris wheels...the ones held together by cables and installed by scary, careless carnies.

It fits all the clues pretty well except the teen comment. I'm trying to put myself in Dick's position. As an old guy, I'd think computers, technology, gaming, and cell phones were related to teens. The Starflyer seems like it'd appeal to everyone equally?

So, I predict the 2011 thrill ride will be a giant cell phone...and riders will bounce among the "O" "M" "G" and "L" buttons...while driving.

Millennium Force was announced in July '99. They put up an artist rendering near the Giant Wheel. It was a really cool to check it out.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I suspect they are announcing in mid-August because that is when they start demolition on the aquatic stadium. The season pass thing is just a side effect and smoke screen. I'm thinking they put the starflyer in the stadium's location. Ocean Motion needs to be moved to DD's former location because they don't want the seats flying over top of it.

Just spitballing.

I don't think we can read anything into the teen comment. I think Kinzel would probably consider anything that's not a kiddie ride or excusively designed for families a hit with the teens. I kinda hafta agree with that reasoning.

Sidetrack from 2011 discussion: As I was looking at the bird's eye view of that area, I can't help thinking the Chaos location would be pretty cool spot for Sally dark ride. Anyone know what that octogonal building is next to Chaos?

1.Raptor 2.Maverick 3.SV 3.MF 4.Rougarou 5.GK 6.Valravn 7.BS 8.WT 9.Gemini 10.CCMR 11.Magnum 12.TTD 13.CS 15.WE 16.ID

^Isn't that building a snack shack?

realmadrid311 said:

Minime15834 said:
Tony said on twitter..."I'm still remembering my chat with Tyler..I asked if he could give an idea where it would be, he responded "There's a lot of spots!".

Know where else there are a lot of spots? There is a beach near by too..
Another little note I was just reminded of about preparing for a ride is that Mill Race ran clear through August before being dismantled for Raptor.

This reminded me that there used to be a coaster at Cedar Point with parking garages inside of it. I really want to see a new coaster so I am probably biased. Could this be why they improved the parking lot with the trees and median? A plan using theparking lot could utilize the DD site parking lot and OM area.

As a side not I took the kids to old Geauga Lake water park today and couldnt help but think that I wish they would have moved the big dipper to the point. Also, the gift shop is selling silly bands and eclipse posters for those that care.;)

No coaster will ever be too fast or too tall!

If its next year or 20 years from now that CP puts in their next coaster, it needs to be a top notch wooden coaster. I don't see the demolition of the extreme stadium or whatever its called, for a flat of any kind, but I also don't see the addition of a coaster next year. This should be interesting on how this all plays out!

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

While I agree that a Starflyer looks pretty intense, does anyone wonder why no major park in the US has built one of these yet. I think its a safety issue (real or perceived). CP has an excellent track record on safety and I think this ride has too many uncontrollables for the park to build. No matter what measures you have in place or how safe the manufacturer says it is, it's still just a chair on a wire/chain a couple of hundred of feet in the air. Way too carnival for CP.

I have to agree with that also. It just seems like there is no way to make that truly safe. I mean sure if Cedar Point was getting one I know they wouldn't put it in unless they did have some super safety system..I just hope this isn't what they're getting.

-Mike

That's exactly why you'll never catch me on that ride.

Plus, it spins. :)

Brandon

djDaemon said:
That's exactly why you'll never catch me on that ride.

Plus, it spins. :)

ditto! I can't even handle maXair without feeling sick for a while afterward.

A few days ago my bf convinced me to ride a one of those Round Up rides at the county fair as the last thing before going home. I was sick the rest of the night. It's crazy to me since that was my favorite carnival ride 15 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it was just insinuated that people in Denmark are smarter than people in the United States.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Boy, I love me a good Round Up. I think my first was Halley's Comet at KI, back in 1974.

I mean, not that anybody asked or anything.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service