Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Joe2899 said:
Built to the Dutch manufacturer’s usual sturdy standards, the park ridestands 65-meters-tall and features hinged steel arms, rather thanchains, allowing it to operate at higher wind speeds (equivalent tomost other amusement rides). It also features a high 50-passengercapacity (25 twin seats).

this is what i found on the mondial site so the 64 crayons idea is wrong even the specs for starflyer do not fit the 64 crayons clue

here is the specs for starflyer
Approx 600
passengers/hour

First of all that wasn't on Mondials site it was mentioned on a website talking about ride news and updates.

Second, at the time the ride was, and in a way, still is a prototype. Things can change from then till now as far as capacity goes. Until we see an actual image of the ride instead of a computer generated drawing, we have no idea what the capacity could be.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

Joe2899 said:
here is what i just read was the patent for starflyer is pending so is mondial's patent makes u wonder what is going on with that story in the sandusky register the other day

Hey can you give a link to the patent? The Toledo Blade picked up the story with comments from Cottingham Agencies who apparently are the US patent holders for Funtime.

UpsideDown! :-)

coolkid2345 said:
^Someone has been reading some Screamscape ;).

I actually think it could be a possible idea. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5-10 years Cedar Point phases out Kiddy Kingdom, then makes it one huge Planet Snoopy. A roller coaster is needed in that area. There is an S&S launching roller coaster at Silver Dollar City. Very fun, but also "family friendly" for the children.

I was actually looking at stuff about this coaster the other day and watching some POV's of it on YouTube.

Yes it does look like a very fun coaster. However that coaster at Silver Dollar City is a very unique one in that S&S did not originaly build it. When it was first built it was a "water coaster" from another manufacture that operated for a few years but was kind of a fail in the park's eyes so they contracted S&S to rebuild the ride into a fun "family" launch coaster and wanted to reuse the original track and queues to save money. They actually did re-use the original queues and about 1/3 of the track from the original ride (a large section of it is the lift hill and bend toward the end of the ride).

It would be cool to have something like this from S&S this at Cedar Point, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it for next season (or anytime soon).

Last edited by skiboi007,

@UpsideDown: The link to the patent is on the website here

Although the funtime starflyer is in my opinion scarier design-wise than the mondial windseeker because of the chains, after reading the toledo blade article, and due to funtimes actions throughout this I'd much rather see the mondial show up and watch cedar point fight this in court.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

Clues 4 and 5 could be "Historic" like from when you were young.

Ride on, my friends!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/TopThrillCedarPoint

They could make this the new picture for the bottom of the pointbuzz page. :)

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/mikesummerson15834/My%20St...kyline.jpg

-Mike

64 people, huh? Someone closely resembling myself may have said that weeks ago, and some people closely resembling other posters scoffed at that. Two years in a row, that's all I've got to say. Maybe next year you'll listen to me. :)

RaceRinger said:
64 people, huh? Someone closely resembling myself may have said that weeks ago, and some people closely resembling other posters scoffed at that. Two years in a row, that's all I've got to say. Maybe next year you'll listen to me. :)

So whats for next year?

We are going to have a crazy announcement on TUE!!

I just thought I would point out that Blue Streak opened in 1964 the latest clue is 64 crayons. I know nothing significant just thought I would throw that out there.

Last edited by OKSIRYDOC,

This is my first post here and I have been following this thread for the past 2 weeks now. But it seems like the Detroit Free Press has just posted a story on this SF/WS thing.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100821/ENT/100821017/1320/Surprise-of-new-Cedar-Point-ride-may-be-lost

Did anyone also think that the diaper could mean "new" as in like a prototype. Like a baby is a new life and a windseeker is a new prototype of the starflyer (of course not in funtimes eyes). I don't know I was just thinking about that.

OKSIRYDOC said:
I just thought I would point out that Blue Streak opened in 1964 the latest clue is 64 crayons. I know nothing significant just thought I would throw that out there.

Maybe they're building 64 coasters next year. Or maybe they're moving Blue Streak to the beach (brings back memories of a woodie on the beach, no?). Or maybe Dick Kinzel will attempt 64 backflips without breaking a hip. Or maybe this is idiotic speculation.

RaceRinger said:

Are you going to post between now and next year? Or are you just here for the ego-boost?

Maybe it's just me, but if someone in-the-know was telling me things, I wouldn't blab it over a Cedar Point fan site in hopes some kids would think I'm wicked awesome.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Ffej said:

djDaemon said:
The entire reason, at least purportedly, for going with the solid linkage version over the chain version is so that the ride can operate in windy conditions. And CP certainly has their share of wind, especially at 400 feet in the air on the edge of the beach.

Now from my perspective, I'd agree with this and the reason CP went with the solid arm. But, didn't RideMan claim at some point that the wind would not significantly affect a Starflyer that high up?

I can't accurately speak for what Dave may have said, but I think I recall someone mentioning that when the rotating carriage is in motion, outside forces such as those from wind or passenger movement wouldn't affect the chair's movement. I may be misremembering the comment.

One concern that led to going with a solid linkage over chains may have been due to e-stop considerations. If the ride is e-stopped while the carriage is some 400 feet in the air, you certainly aren't going to want riders swinging freely. Sure, the carriage could probably descend the tower during an e-stop (though I'm not sure it should), but even then it could only descend so rapidly without creating slack in the chains, which would compound the wind problem.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

last clue on facebook, "feet"!

Last edited by kreed300,

kreed300 said:
last clue on facebook, "feet"!

Also, it's a link to a Yahoo Answers asking for square numbers between 300 and 500, and triangular numbers between 50 and 70.

On second thought let's not go to Six Flags, 'tis a silly place.

Reading those math comments made my brain hurt.....but I love the other links. Fantastic! :)

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

So the square numbers between 300 & 500 are 324, 361, 400, 441 and 484. I'm thinking one of those will be the height of the ride.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Oh man bare feet must mean a suspended looping coaster just love peoples ideas

RaceRinger said:

OKSIRYDOC said:

Maybe they're building 64 coasters next year. Or maybe they're moving Blue Streak to the beach (brings back memories of a woodie on the beach, no?). Or maybe Dick Kinzel will attempt 64 backflips without breaking a hip. Or maybe this is idiotic speculation.

Wow Mr. Ego do you feel high, and mighty, because you can post on an online forum? Yeah you are getting somewhere in life by being right on an online forum put that on a resume. What is the point of being a jerk, and saying "this is idiotic speculation" if I was on topic, and it wasn't idiotic speculation. All I said was that was the year Blue Streak opened. So please next time you are going to be a jerk please hesitate to post if you are going to quote me, but anyways announcement in two day. I recall someone saying 2 p.m? Anyone know what time?

Last edited by OKSIRYDOC,

The announcement is at 2pm on facebook. And I thought I read somewhere that the media announcement is at 2:30.

Also did anyone notice the triangular numbers between 50 and 70? The triangular numbers are 55 and 66. I wonder what those could mean along with the square numbers between 300 and 500.

Last edited by wcfootball75,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service