Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Non-Facebookers click here.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

If the patent was just actually granted in February (thanks to our ohh so speedy and always on the ball USPTO), this may be just the start of any future licensing negotiation and litigation Funtime has with anyone, and maybe CF is just the first step in defending their IP.

Personally I think the ride looks dumb, and not fun, more like a death trap. I miss the fun CP from the 90's, this new CP that's trying to target the "family demographic" just doesn't cut it for me. If I want family fun I'll pack up the fam and goto Orlando. CP is about tall rollercoasters, not mini choochoo trains.

UpsideDown! :-)

Mabye we'll need diapers after the ride?

not sure about the diaper clue today that throws a wrench in the sky flyer/wind seeker idea maybe not sure

If i am wrong tell me
I am not prefect neither is anyone else

^^^

See, the fact that people will go to Orlando instead of Sandusky for family vacations is EXACTLY why Cedar Point SHOULD build more things for people other than the typical enthusiast.

Families bring $$$!

Last edited by deeganator,

UpsideDown said:

I miss the fun CP from the 90's, this new CP that's trying to target the "family demographic" just doesn't cut it for me. If I want family fun I'll pack up the fam and goto Orlando. CP is about tall rollercoasters, not mini choochoo trains.

Okay, there are 70 plus rides at Cedar Point (not counting Soak City and Challenge Park). 17 of those are roller coasters. The vast majority of the rest would fall into the "family" category. It's a family park. Live with it. If you want to spend the money to travel to Orlando, spend twice as much on admission to just about every park there, more power to ya. Fewer people in line in front of me and my family next summer.

I'm not talking about "enthusiasts" I'm talking about the teen-young adult demographic, or even the what 25-40 demographic. Cedar Point can't compete with Disney, heck even Seuss Landing blows Cedar Point's attempts away. He pointed out, CP's high mark for attendance was 1994 with Raptor in the midst of the period of time when they were targeting the amusement park demographic rather than the family theme park demographic. CP will never be a Magic Kingdom but with thrill rides, and it doesn't hold a candle to IOA. They should stick with what worked in the past.

UpsideDown! :-)

But if you look back at the marketing promotions around that time, most of them were about the experience of Cedar Point. Like come check out Cedar Point, we have, the best rides including the newest Raptor, a beach, hotels, pools, a campground, a water park. I think that was some of the better marketing from the park, unlike todays whole Ride Warrior, taller faster meaner stuff.

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

Chase Gilbert said:
Okay, there are 70 plus rides at Cedar Point (not counting Soak City and Challenge Park). 17 of those are roller coasters. The vast majority of the rest would fall into the "family" category. It's a family park. Live with it. If you want to spend the money to travel to Orlando, spend twice as much on admission to just about every park there, more power to ya. Fewer people in line in front of me and my family next summer.

Still, there needs to be new stuff added over time for each demographic, otherwise some things can get stale. Focus too much on the thrill seekers, and the families lose out over time. Focus on kids and family too much, and thrill seekers will be left wanting. There simply has to be a balance.

As for comparing to "theme" theme parks like Disney/Universal, Cedar Fair simply isn't oriented to theming like that. It may have the Snoopy theme for the kids, but the park is oriented toward the rides. Theming has never been big in their department **cough** Disaster Transport **cough**.

^There is enough to do for the whole family to do at Cedar Point. Disaster Transport was a pretty good themed ride until 8-10 years ago.

Something I would have liked to seen done is taking out the Antique Cars, then make a small "family" area. Dollywood has an obstacle course they added this year. That way everyone will be happy with something family oriented. The thing I do not get is why people do not think Cedar Point is a family park. They have 30 rides pretty much that anyone under 46" can ride.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Joe2899 said:
it depends on what type of story it is and how many people will want to watch the story and if it's not on the tv then it's online but it is public info if they filed in court already so that does not make any sense

Your basing this on local news that has headline stories about strippers, puppies and mcdonalds drive thru attacks. They choose what they want. This hasn't gone to the courts yet either, this is most likely a very recent incident in the eyes of funtime. Key word, "litigation". If you can find the record of the actual suit being filed then I will retract that statement ;)

When it DOES go to court, then it will be much bigger news, it will affect investments any many other things which affect more people than just ride speculation followers. It is irresponsible to base the truth of a story on the fact it isn't showing up on local news.

Going back to the litigation comment, what would funtimes agreement contain, not buying the mondial version and putting in a ride that would have to be carefully watched or shut down during winds?

From the lawyer for funtime:

“It looks pretty much like the same thing to me,” Handal said,

So do alot of coasters made by different manufacturers, should they all sue each other? Starflyer looks like a copy of wave swinger and space spiral put together. I don't see Cedar Point losing this battle.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

80+ coasters and counting

Chase Gilbert said:

UpsideDown said:

I miss the fun CP from the 90's, this new CP that's trying to target the "family demographic" just doesn't cut it for me. If I want family fun I'll pack up the fam and goto Orlando. CP is about tall rollercoasters, not mini choochoo trains.

Thank you gilbert for saying that. Smartest thing said in here for quite some time.

buckeyeminister said:

Thank you gilbert for saying that. Smartest thing said in here for quite some time.

Wait a min...In the other thread, you just said it's a thrill park.

CP is a thrill park and a damn good one. I like drop towers, and I want more coasters and thrill rides. CP is a successful park that has built a reputation around thrill rides. Parks dont care about stupid blogs from people like you. I happen to enjoy DT and Meanstreak.
After your done playing your little roller coaster tycoon game, take your family to florida and stay away from CP. Leave their rides for us to enjoy.

Like I told you in the other thread. It's more than just about what "you" want.Besides that, Disney seems to be doing just fine with the "double the cost" parks that YOU don't want to go to.

Sounds like someone needs to get themself laid.:)

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

The only way I would want to ride the windseeker is if it swings the cars out to a 90 degree angle as it goes up, and free falls on the way down. That would be thrilling. If it is the normal version, its just a glorified Wave Swinger. I would love to see a coaster, but I am not holding my breath.

At this point, holding your breath would be very ill-advised. ;)

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

I'm not one who thinks CP is adding a coaster. I'm just going to say that maybe with the last clue they will add 2 rides. A Starflyer knock off and a family coaster in Planet Snoopy. Something like Woodstock Express. Something families can ride together that won't fail like StR did. It would also keep Dick happy with him still in the lead for most coasters. I don't see it happening, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I'm really hoping Tony explains all these weird clues. Is the diaper link taking everybody back to CP's facebook page? This whole thing just needs to end. :)

Let's Get Weird.

^Someone has been reading some Screamscape ;).

I actually think it could be a possible idea. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5-10 years Cedar Point phases out Kiddy Kingdom, then makes it one huge Planet Snoopy. A roller coaster is needed in that area. There is an S&S launching roller coaster at Silver Dollar City. Very fun, but also "family friendly" for the children.

I do think the wow factor for at least one of the kids' areas needs to be ramped up in years to come. Maybe put in a Vekoma junior suspended, or a Batflyer like the one that formerly stood in KI's Nickelodeon area. (Okay, I know -- lousy capacity; but it always just seemed to cool; wish I had gotten my daughter on it before they ripped it out.)

But even apart from coasters, there's so much more they could do with the children's areas. Even low-tech stuff like Idlewild's kiddie zip lines or climbing structures. Didn't they win a GT for 2nd best kid's park several years in a row?

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Yes they did it's like thirty minutes from my house. Sometimes I see a commercial, and it says "the second best kids park in the world!" If I was in charge of marketing I would say "One of the best children parks in the world!" It just sounds funny like it's not good enough to be number one haha.

I agree. I have been to Idlewild before and they pride themselves on saying "2nd best kids park". I would have just said: "one of the best". I actually don't like Idlewild but Mr. Rogers Neighborhood trolley is amazing. It does bring back many memories.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service