Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

i can not find anywhere on the net that cedar point. is being sued by anyone the only paper reporting it is the sandusky register. witch is a little sketchy if u ask me why has no one else picked up this story and ran with it. Hmm i also ask a friend who works for a local news group to look at the article they said it makes no sense. they have not seen anything on the wire about it.

If i am wrong tell me
I am not prefect neither is anyone else

The way I read the article, nobody has sued anyone yet.

“Now, not only do we not get the contract, now we’ve got to get into litigation,” Mirfin said. “The ones that we’ll be suing will be Cedar Point and not Mondial.”

As far as it not being on the wire, do all local stories get put on the wire, or do the media outlets decide what gets put on the wire?

it depends on what type of story it is and how many people will want to watch the story and if it's not on the tv then it's online but it is public info if they filed in court already so that does not make any sense

If i am wrong tell me

Hey guys... This is my first post on here.... I had a thought I figured I'd share...

I know it's been mentioned a few times a number of pages back about the Starflyer/Windseeker being the first part of a multi part/multi year project to add a boardwalk to the park. Personally, I've kinda been thinking (hoping?) that all along. The one clue we got about the 2011 project invoking memories of the past never seemed to fit with the Starflyer, or at the very least was a bit of a stretch. Well, what if that hint was in reference not to the ride itself, but the project as a whole? And the Starflyer/Windseeker is sort of the anchor of the first phase of the project? With the demolition of the stadium and DT in the next "X" number of years. I think it would be cool, and would add to the park experience to showcase the beach like they used to in the past. After all, CP started as a beach.

Now, this idea has been floated out there already, I know, but what if the Starflyer/Windseeker ride was only part of the announcement? Maybe Tuesday we'll find out what we already know, and then some? Likely? Maybe not. Possible? I think so.

Anyway, just wanted to throw my two cents in!

I hope Cedar Fair isn't buying 3 prototype Wind Seekers for their parks next season without anyone ever experiencing one...

What if they had purchased 3 Shoot the Rapids rides this year?

they would be in a world of hurt since cedar points only had it operational 9x this year and it cost 14million to build it

If i am wrong tell me

I hope Cedar Point saved their receipt.

-Eric

AlternateOne (if you're an alternate, shouldn't you be 'Two' or 'B' or something? ;)), welcome to Pointbuzz. I'm not sure if I agree with your musings, but I certainly appreciate the intelligence with which you presented them. And you're certainly correct that the whole area back there could use some new investment.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Hey guys, new to the forum here as well.

Just a few thoughts: CF buying multiple Windseekers for multiple parks is probably what is making Funtime so mad, considering how big of a project adding three very tall rides is, there was definitely a sizable chunk of money on the table that Funtime lost out on. I personally don't think I'll love the new ride but I do think it could be the first step in revitalizing the area. And, as ugly and poorly placed as it is, what do you guys think the fate of DT would be if they did revitalize the a boardwalk area? Relocation in order to keep their coaster count up?

But yeah, Efej, I totally agree with you CF buying 3 prototypes could have some not so great consequences, especially considering the short time period (supposedly) in which they were devolped

awhitelight said:
And, as ugly and poorly placed as it is, what do you guys think the fate of DT would be if they did revitalize the a boardwalk area? Relocation in order to keep their coaster count up?

I would like to see them make DT open air again. Avalanche Run Bobsleds was a fun ride when I was a kid. And when on the beach at the breakers, it was the loudest ride over there. It sounded like thunder. They could make it a flying turns style coaster. That would help revitalize the area as well.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Joe2899 said:
i can not find anywhere on the net that cedar point. is being sued by anyone the only paper reporting it is the sandusky register. witch is a little sketchy if u ask me why has no one else picked up this story and ran with it. Hmm i also ask a friend who works for a local news group to look at the article they said it makes no sense. they have not seen anything on the wire about it.

This may be newsworthy to us, but I doubt it's newsworthy to most people in the US. The story may make no sense at all, but that doesn't mean it's not legit.The paper, the journalist, and the three companies involved wouldn't put their reputations on the line for a dumb article to throw the fanboys off.

VWHOWARD, I am with ya on turning Disaster Transport back to Avalanche Run, however this will probably not happen sadly. It was loud and a lot more fun when you could see there wasn't actually a track. I'm just wondering, if all three places are getting Star Flyer/Wind Seekers. Where is all the rest of the budget going for Cedar Fair? This is why I truly believe we are getting something other than just the Wind Seeker. Maybe not another ride, but something. I think the picture of the two people on the beach may not just mean you are side by side on the ride. It may mean two beach side attractions. Also the 1944 being the "Flying Scooters" that makes me think there would be something else side by side the Wind Seeker. Then again, could be completely wrong.

DSRPUNK said:
VWHOWARD, I am with ya on turning Disaster Transport back to Avalanche Run, however this will probably not happen sadly. It was loud and a lot more fun when you could see there wasn't actually a track. I'm just wondering, if all three places are getting Star Flyer/Wind Seekers. Where is all the rest of the budget going for Cedar Fair? This is why I truly believe we are getting something other than just the Wind Seeker. Maybe not another ride, but something. I think the picture of the two people on the beach may not just mean you are side by side on the ride. It may mean two beach side attractions. Also the 1944 being the "Flying Scooters" that makes me think there would be something else side by side the Wind Seeker. Then again, could be completely wrong.

Good point about the budget. Does anybody have a legitimate estimate as to how much a Wind Seeker might cost (probably a bit more than a Star Flyer I would assume)?

And I've also thought that two rides was a possibility, a small one at that, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a SF/WS plus a smaller attraction in the same area.

It is true I guess that we don't really know what a 400 ft model would cost, probably a little more is right. So depending how much more, and if 3 places were getting it. That might cover the budget a little more. I'd be kind of suprised if no Cedar Fair parks got coasters though.

vwhoward said:

awhitelight said:
And, as ugly and poorly placed as it is, what do you guys think the fate of DT would be if they did revitalize the a boardwalk area? Relocation in order to keep their coaster count up?

I would like to see them make DT open air again. Avalanche Run Bobsleds was a fun ride when I was a kid. And when on the beach at the breakers, it was the loudest ride over there. It sounded like thunder. They could make it a flying turns style coaster. That would help revitalize the area as well.

I believe DT was enclosed because there were problems with sand getting into the trough. Can someone verify this? I heard it years ago so Im not 100% sure but it sounds realistic to me.

Andrew Hartman

*CP Fan since 1999*

#1's: Voyage @ Holiday World, Superman: Ride of Steel (now Bizarro) @ Six Flags New England

Maybe they will use some of that "extra cash" on updating the rooms at Hotel Breakers!

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

I'm not sure I ever heard about sand getting in the troughs. This sounds like it could be true though with the high winds and being right next to the beach. I can't seeing a little bit of sand effecting it too much but it may have been a hassle to get it out each day if they had to.

Supernitroforce, I could see that. But it operated for a number of years before they enclosed it. And if this was a problem, why wouldn't the sand affect a ride like Wicked Twister? Considering it proximity and vulnerability to the sand, and its much more sophisticated.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Wicked Twister also doesn't have a trough for the sand to collect in.

And it could be in those years they tried other methods for dealing with the sand, and figured enclosure was the easiest (and long-term cheapest) option for dealing with the problem.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Not that I believe the "conspiracy theory", but what if CF has a contract w/ Mondial for a CP WindSeeker given it's unique wind conditions AND with Funtime for Starflyer for CW and Knotts. That would explain the collusion btw the three for pr purposes. And, not to call the Sandusky Register the rube, but if you leaked this HUGE story to a small town newspaper, maybe their enthusiam for the big story would supercede a thorough investigation. That would explain why no other news organization picked up on the story, maybe they just have better investigative resources and saw through it. I also think the WindSeeker is just part of CPs announcement. They said EVERYONE would be surprised, so maybe the boardwalk project is the main announcement.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service