Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Well in Kinzel Land.... ;-)

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

Maybe I'm jaded, but I tend to think the next new ride is more likely to be Intamin than anything else. Even with the problems this year, the ride for next year is probably already a done deal.

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Chuck Wagon said:
the ride for next year is probably already a done deal.

That's a safe bet.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

It is because Kinzel said they already purchased it.

Let's Get Weird.

I think a launching coaster will not be built nothing over 250 feet probly. Agian I think cedar point needs a flying roller coaster they seem to be very popular and I think it would be a great choice for the 2011 season.

How much of a drop was that on Th13teen, anyway? It was hard to tell, but it looked like it couldn't have been much more than 10 or 15 feet. If they could increase the drop to make it a bit more intimidating, it could indeed be a good fit for CP.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Ya, I think even a 30 ft. drop in the dark could be amazing. The only problem I (and most people) have with Thirteen is how bland the rest of the layout is. On the other hand, it does only have lapbars...a feat that is rare among new Intamin coasters.

Edit: And backwards! I want to do something cool going backwards. Maybe half a twisted horseshoe roll? Oh wait, there goes the lapbars. :(

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

I believe it drops 15 feet. The rest of the layout is boring, but I would love to see a great couple of elements while going backwards.

Let's Get Weird.

As I stated in my post from a couple weeks ago, it will have been four years since the past roller coaster was opened when the 2011 season begins. That will match the longest "coaster-less" period in 25 years. I cannot see them extending that streak in favor of another thrill ride. Power Tower already serves as a drop ride and maXair and Skyhawk provide plenty of thrills. These funky Intamin coasters (Zac and Ball, etc.) don't make sense for Cedar Point. Those might be "offseason" (i.e. non-coaster seasons) additions, but that would not make sense as a headline ride for 2011. I am also highly doubtful it will be a prototype ride. Remember, arguably two of the most popular coasters in the park (and world) are Magnum and MF which would qualify as simple out-and-back designs. Simple does not necessarily mean boring or repetitive. That being said there is absolutely nothing at this time that points to anything other than the pattern of coaster installations over roughly one fifth of the parks existance (the past 25 years).

I still would like to see a wooden twister a-la the Crystal Beach Cyclone or Cedar Point's old Cyclone. Such a ride could be fairly short (75 to 125 feet) very compact (say Demon Drop and part of the Employee lot) offer plenty of air-time, and offer a ride experience unique to Cedar Point.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if a ride like mean streak could ever be converted to a ride like Gemini (i.e. a steel track with wodden supports)? Mean Streak is an unbelievable structure, a great layout, and a fun ride, but it has become nearly unrideable. Giving it a Gemini-type track would still give it a rougher, wooden-type feel without being too rough. It would also allow the removal of the trim brakes which have ruined it and Mantis.

They can't just keep building coasters every few years. Something will have to give eventually. When that is, I don't know. But at some point, existing coasters will need to come out if they want to continue building ne ones.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Hasn't B&M been working on their multidimension style coaster for the last few years? I would think that it would be a HUGE attendance booster if Cedar Point were to get the first of these. If the 'thrill rides include other things besides roller coasters' (isn't that what he really meant to say?) comment was a hint, my suggestion would be a Funtime Star Flyer. I don't know the capacity of the ride, but for anybody afraid of heights that thing is as scary as a drop tower.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Mean Streak is an unbelievable structure, a great layout, and a fun ride, but it has become nearly unrideable. Giving it a Gemini-type track would still give it a rougher, wooden-type feel without being too rough. It would also allow the removal of the trim brakes which have ruined it and Mantis.

I have to respectfully disagree on this. Rode Mean Streak for the first time a few weeks ago, and compared to other wooden coasters I've been on, it's a great ride, and a nice change of pace from all the steel from time to time. Back on topic, personally, I would love to see another coaster. I'm not sure I'm convinced on the Zacspin idea, but it would fit the space nicely. I would have to reserve judgement until I saw some video of one running or rode one.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Mean Streak is an unbelievable structure, a great layout, and a fun ride, but it has become nearly unrideable.

I was on Mean Streak today and actually thought it was fairly smooth, seemed to ride better than last year. In no way did I think it was nearly unrideable, it was quite enjoyable today.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I also have another idea maybe the challenge park or soak city could get a new ride for 2011 two ideas for the challlenge park is a bungee jumap or a freefall. Soak city needs a water coaster, a racing mat slide,a enclosed raft slide, a triple dipper raft ride, a flowrider,or a slide like omaka rocka.

^ I don't see them adding on to the Challenge Park in the future unless they take out the go-carts.

Soak City needs a lot of stuff. I have no idea on how any of this dismantling would work, but if Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom were to close, could they move their slide towers to another park such as Soak City? They have a Pro-slide bowl and that great slide tower. They could always keep part of the camper village and combine Lighthouse Point. It could be Lighthouse Point Cabins and Campgrounds. If there is room by the Breakers Express, they could add a camper section to make Breakers Express & Campground Resort. That could make room for more slides in Soak City.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

coolkid2345 there is plenty of room in the challenge park to make both rides because ayou don't needs long quene.

Camping on Causeway Drive? I don't think so.

If there was going to be a new major attraction in 2011 such as a large coaster when would construction have to start? They started assembly on STR in late summer and it is still not ready. I would think a large scale coaster would take much longer to prepare. I was at the park yesterday and did not see any flags or anything to indicate that something was happening. What are your thoughts? Is my thinking off track?

No coaster will ever be too fast or too tall!

Well Raptor and Millennium Force did not start until the Fall.

^^STR isnot ready due to an engineering issue not a construction issue the ride itself was finished on time. Any new ride time table will depend on the ride and who knows what Preconstruction work has already been done with out our knowledge ,CP is a busy place in the winter just not a lot of it is seen for what it truthfully is.

pass holder since 1983

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service