Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

(wondering how many pages this thread will reach)

Terror Island Screamster 08', 09', 10', 11'

Well, the one last year reached 190 pages, but reaching that length will depend on what sort of new information we get as the year goes on.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

If anyone else has ridden Mean Streak in the past few days, did y'all manage to see the orange spray paint on the track?!
Just seeing who else managed to see it.

2008- Foods (Corral)
2009- Corkscrew
2010- Magnum XL-200

I think a flying coaster is coming to cedar point in 2011 because they took out demon drop and will probably take out disaster transport in Agust. Their room to make it their they also have clear that part of the parking lot and when the coaster is done they will put down grass. By the way shoot the rapids is a family ride not a big thrill so what makes you think that Cedar put in another family waterslide.

Two thoughts, both independent of each other:

1) We all assume the reason the picnic shelter on the lake side of the park is closed because they don't need it and they don't want t expend resources cleaning it. A very reasonable assumption.

Of course, if they don't need the capacity they could remove it and add that space to the old Demon Drop area, giving them a good footprint even without invading the parking lot.

2) Remember when we were speculating that, just as Xcelerator was the prototype for TTD, Sierra Sidewinder could be the prototype for the next CP coaster? Could a spinning coaster fit in that space? Even if it couldn't, it could be CF's next coaster somewhere else. How popular are SS at Knotts and Spinning Dragons at WOF?

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

JeffCoaster said:
If anyone else has ridden Mean Streak in the past few days, did y'all manage to see the orange spray paint on the track?! Just seeing who else managed to see it.

This probably had to do with the crane I saw there today. While at Soak City, I noticed a crane and at least 4 or 5 guys up on Mean Streaks 2nd turn. The crane appeared to be removing a ledger piece at the time. There also looked to be a lot of material sitting up there too, maybe wood, track, etc. The work was going on from when I got there in the afternoon to when I left around 630ish. I wondered what happened to warrant work like that during the season.

Last edited by 99er,

Just another thought for the whole using a part of the parking lot idea.

At the begining of the year the marina side lot was closed off so all new aproachments could be installed. Now this could be general maintaince, but who knows, they may need the extra parking space next year! =0)

What they installed along the Marina lot this year actually took away parking spaces.

mcccoy lassus said:
I think a flying coaster is coming to cedar point in 2011 because they took out demon drop and will probably take out disaster transport in Agust.

Based on what evidence? DTs building houses one of the most popular and possibly most well done haunted house that has ever been put in at the Point. They aren't going to rip out the building one year later after putting that kind of investment into it.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Darn it Jugga! I was hoping we could all just keep moving past mccoy's wild and meandering posts. You took the bait, sucker. ;)

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

what there just ideas.

^What, they're just ideas.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

^What? They're just ideas.

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

Well, I did find out it is possible to modify an existing wood coaster to a Gemini-type hybrid. RCDB says the Texas Giant (very similar to Mean Streak) is undergoing that transformation this season and will re-open next year. I think Cedar Point should seriously consider this. It might allow some elements to be chagned/improved and I think it would make the ride more enjoyable.

I doubt Cedar Point will remove Disaster Transport. I still believe the park is pushing for the record of most coasters in one park. If they didn't care about the record, needed space to build, and wanted to remove a relatively unpopular ride then I would argue Cedar Creek Mine Ride would have been removed to make way for Maverick and White Water Landing would still be standing. WWL was more popular than CCMR is now, I think. However, if they are going to remove a coaster DT would almost certainly be the one, not because of popularity but becuase a) it is located next to expendable/mobile attractions such as games and food, b) it is located next to some open space (I consider the parking lot to be open space as parking can be moved, parking garages can be built, or certain parking such as employee or day guest parking could be moved off the penninsula), c) the existing enclosure could be saved and used as part of a new ride and remain in place for Halloweekends.

All this being said, Cedar Point has wowed with prototype coasters for the past decade. MF, TTD, Maverick, and WT have all had new mechnical features that are both complicated and very costly. Given the parent company's condition and the costs associated with large projects such as building removals, I maintain my original stance that we will see a new wood twister in 2011.

So, I therefore make my official prediction (and I will happily eat crow if I am wrong) that we will see a Gravity Group hybrid metal support/wood track twister in 2011 modeled after Cyclone from Cedar Point history or the Crystal Beach Cyclone. These rides are relatively cheap (< $10 million) and can be built rapidly (ex. - The Villain at old Geauga Lake which went up pretty much overnight).

Considering CF's recent history, GCI, not GG.

CF has never built a GG coaster. In 1998 they built a CCI at Knotts. Since then:

2007: Renegade, VF. GCI
2009: Prowler, WOF. GCI

Hence, if you believe in patterns, 2011: ??? CP. GCI

There is no reason to believe that CF will build a GG coaster--they seem very happy with GCI,

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

^ They might be happy with GCI, but the price tag on those is outrageous. It shouldn't cost Cedar Fair 8 million to build prowler. They could have probably worked with Gravity Group and got something even better for 3 million.

Gravity Group really wasn't a built company until 2006 when Voyage was built. Cedar Fair works on their plans 3+ years in advance.

In my opinion, Cedar Fair is pretty stupid with who they pick on what companies to build their rides. They could save so much money if they would have worked with Gravity Group, MACK, Maurer Söhne, or Premier Rides instead of Intamin or GCI.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Captain Hawkeye said:
2) Remember when we were speculating that, just as Xcelerator was the prototype for TTD, Sierra Sidewinder could be the prototype for the next CP coaster? Could a spinning coaster fit in that space? Even if it couldn't, it could be CF's next coaster somewhere else. How popular are SS at Knotts and Spinning Dragons at WOF?

A spinning coaster, in my opinion, really isn't cut out to be what I call a "Thrill Seeker Ride". That would be more based as a family type ride.

Personally, I still don't understand why they are rehabbing Texas Giant. Did the public have some sort of massive nostalgic love for that ride? Wasn't it just like Mean Streak?

I just don't get why you can't build a brand new coaster for the same cost ($10 million) and call it Texas Giant. I would much rather have CP do that with Mean Streak.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I would like to see a vertical lift coaster, a top spin, a greats coasters iternational dueling coaster, a gci wooden,a indoor coaster ,a boo blasters on boo hill, a flying coaster, or a wild mouse. Rides to take out if needed would be disater transport, corckscrew, gemini, or wildcat

...and I think that about does it for my contributions to this thread. Have fun kiddies.

What ever happened to pointbuzz? ;)

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service