Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Mcccoy, there is an edit button to eliminate quadruple posting. Isn't that prohibited?

RideWarrior 18, some things you are saying are not true.

-Arrow is combined with S&S. They make 4th dimension roller coasters.
-Mean Streak was built by Dinn not CCI. Even if it were built by CCI, the trains could work on the ride. Gravity Group was once CCI but CCI went bankrupt. The same people made a new company called Gravity Group. The Raven (CCI) had been tested for the new trains built by Gravity Group. Gravitykraft's can be used on any wooden coaster.
-Antique cars are popular, but White Water Landing was VERY popular and they still took that out.

Even though Mcccoy's ideas are not all realistic, there is no reason to be rude. "Don't take this as a critique on yourself but rather a learning experience. Its the only way we PBers know how to induct a new memeber. I look forward to seeing you around the forums." This really makes you sound like an ass. I am not trying to be rude, but if you told this to me, i would feel very unwelcome and wouldn't be happy with people who are trying to make someone else feel like just because they're new, they cant most their opinions. I consider you and even myself a new member. Don't make it seem like you know everything.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

-Antique cars are popular, but White Water Landing was VERY popular and they still took that out.

I agree with you on this opinion. Just because a ride is popular it could still be removed due to future plans. We have no insight as to the park plans for five years from now so there really is no telling. When they took WWL out they were already planning to install a flume STR to replace it. Sometimes it does take thinking outside of the box to try and understand the big picture. Has anyone heard any solid new information?

Last edited by walleyewhacker,

No coaster will ever be too fast or too tall!

Calling White Water Landing "very popular" is a stretch.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Mcccoy, I'm brand new here too, so I don't want this to seem too douche-baggy, but most of that stuff will not happen and shouldn't happen. I can pretty much guarantee that unless B&M creates a new type of ride that the park will not go with them. Look at the possibilities from a B&M perspective:
Flyer: Kinzel has said that they will never, ever, EVER get a Flyer because capacity is so awful and they just don't want one.
Dive Machine: I love dive machines but they have 3 coaster that go 90 degrees or beyond and one that has an 80 degree drop. They also have 4 coasters over 200 feet, so unless you did something radical with a dive machine like over 300 feet (which B&M won't do) and 100 degree drop (which B&M probably wouldn't do, I'm not sure) Cedar Point won't be getting one.
Floorless: Raptor and Mantis have every inversion that B&M does in these two rides except for a batwing (which Montu has and is awesome) and an Immelman I'm pretty sure. Floorless layouts are so cliche nowadays that unless it were radically different they won't do it.
Hyper: See Magnum or Millennium Force.

Case: B&M won't be coming to the Point.
Point: Made.

My opinion? A flat ride or compact coaster that will fit into a spot that Demon Drop fit into. Or something totally radical in a spot that no one would ever think of like Shoot the Rapids or Maverick or MaXair or Skyhawk or Wicked Twister or Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force. I have to say that the 2000's additions have been placed in places where you would never think that you could actually place a ride. Cedar Point really does amaze me.

I guess I have to ask what the definition of "very popular" is. I never "walked on" to White Water Landing. There was always a line unless the weather was too cold. Thunder Canyon, on the other hand....

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Don't Dive Machines stop at the top of the drop and then dive down sort of like a freefall ride? Perfect replacement for Demon Drop if you ask me.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

PointofView said:Relocate Wicked Twister...who said that?

I said that. For the record, I was kidding. :)

4 summers of employment in ride operations does stuff to you.

Pete, you are correct. I believe both Griffon and Sheikra hold for around 10 seconds before the first drop. However, once the drop starts it feels like any other coaster and not a drop ride.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

fastdawgo7, I know Cedar point will never make all of this in one year but it would be best to have a 4th demesion, a flying roller coaster, or a dive machine for 2011 if Cedar Point made one of these there wouldn't be one of the two others that they didn't pick for 2012 but They could make a top spin I actualy don't like topple towers and most people wouldn't like that but they would like a top spin I love top spin because they usally add efects like water and also a new indoor launching coaster would be nice to replace Disaster transport if they took it out and Disaster transport isn't that fun anyway. I would also like to see a new adition to the challenge park. I know they put the skyscraper in 2008 but I would like too see a freefall or a bungee jump. Also Soak city is fun but it is not a true water park it needs a bowl, a proslide, a flworider, a water coaster,and a racing mat slide it would make the water park more popular and make more people get their cedar point tickets and there soak city tickets I. Again I know this won't happen in 2011 but I would like to see this in the park sometime and why wouldn't Dick Kinzel want a flying roller coaster alot off people love them and this would be a good ride to make more people come to Cedar Point?

Soak City is not a true water park? Can you please tell us what defines a true water park? Was it a true water park before the bowl, proslide, flowrider, water coaster and racing mat slides were invented?

A wave pool, two rivers, countless waterslides, kiddie water areas and a swim up bar. I'm not sure what else is needed before it gets water park status.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Holy run-on sentences Batman.

Oh, and I agree with Chief. Soak City seems to have all the criteria to be called a real water park.

Last edited by JuggaLotus,

Goodbye MrScott

John

I'm guessing a GCI similar to Thunderhead or Prowler. I don't usually consider GCI's for "thrill seekers", I think of them as family rides. I don't think a ZacSpin will work, mainly because of horrid capacity.

Moving into B&M's, I still think a Dive Machine could work though I doubt we will get one. Floorless is the same way. I am 90% sure it will be a coaster considering the disappointment that happened when it was announced that we would get a coaster this year.

MillieFreak said:
I am 90% sure it will be a coaster considering the disappointment that happened when it was announced that we would get a coaster this year.

Where/when did you hear that we would be getting a coaster this year??

Why ride coasters? Becuse there is NOTHING better to do than riding a coaster!

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

Good lord thats a lot of stuff.

Let's Get Weird.

I'm still thinking some sort of flat, but since coasters keep getting brought up...

CP is rarely late to the party when it comes to new coaster types, which is why I think dive machine, floorless, flyer, etc. are all out. They generally care a great deal about capacity too, which is why the ZacSpin isn't realistic in my mind.

Instead, I have a new suggestion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaTCppHeN4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Pretty sweet concept I think. First of its kind built this year, CP can follow with one next year. They have followed this kind of 'prototype' pattern in the past.

I still would love a really tall drop ride, but they would need to pour a whole lot of concrete for a really tall ride. Dragster's was poured before the 2002 season started. Since no "work areas" have been discovered as yet, I think 300+ feet is out as well.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

That coaster is made by Intamin. Just pointing it out. Most people who have rode it say its nothing special and that it is more of a family coaster. They'd have to put the Cedar Point touchh on it to make it really good.

Let's Get Weird.

Two things still make me think it may be a coaster. One, Dick emphasizing the point that Cedar Point will try to maintain it's title as the amusement park with the most coasters, and two, his big tip about going after the thrill seeker. If they are going (big?) after the thrill seeker next year, and he wants to maintain the title, sounds like a coaster would knock out two birds with one stone.

He also said there are more to thrill rides than roller coasters.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Wasn't the quote in the paper "There are more thrill rides than rollercoasters". It was probably an error but you never know.

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

Yeah. I knew someone would bring that up. :)

If the quote is correct, it doesn't make any sense. Of course there are more thrill rides than roller coasters. There always will be.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service