Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

I honestly don't think its a wind seeker or a coaster. I have no idea what this could be. Im excited either way because it will be a thrill ride. But one thing is for sure, a coaster will be built in 2011 or 2012.

Also, going back to what someone said a few pages ago, a Soak City expansion is not out of the question. With Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom not having season passes on sale yet (in the past three years, they went on sale already), the future for WWK does not look good. They have a 7 slide complex and a funnel ride that could makes its way into Sandusky. I for one would hate this because WWK is all that is left of Geauga Lake and what used to be Sea World. It a great water park that CF has ignored. FYI, it has been overlowing with people this year.

Anyways, SC does need something new I guess. Maybe it will be added along with the new ride.

I was also thinking that whatever they are adding this year is obviously step 1 in a big big plan. How long or big do you think this whole project will be?

Last edited by Buckeye122,

Tim Seydell said:
Please use periods, you're post is very difficult to read. Thanks.

The windseeker is designed to withstand higher winds by the way, the Starflyer, not so much.

That may be taking it a bit far. Yes he didn't use periods, but you can't honestly tell me that a lack of two periods made that "very difficult to read." I hate when people don't use proper grammar, but yeah his post wasn't that bad.

Are you serious? No offense -- I don't know Joe2899 from Joe2898 (or any of the Joe 3000 series, for that matter). But that post was pretty bad. And yes, I did find it difficult to read.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Ok, point made. Let's get back on topic.

Someone seems a bit anxious. ;)

Anyways Buckeye122, I do not see any reason why Wildwater Kingdom would be closing. Maybe because screamscape makes it seem like it is from their "multiple sources", but I don't think it is on the chopping block this year. It doesn't seem like any Cedar Fair park has put their 2011 season passes on the market, I usually remember them starting sometime in the second to last week of August.

Last edited by coolkid2345,

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

Well coolkid2345, I am uneasy with WWK closing becasue of what Kinzel did to Geauga Lake. I enjoy WWK very much, it's very relaxing, I get a great night sleep afterwards, and it a very nice waterpark. Other than it's way to small. CF has ignored this property since they bought it in 2004. WWK is raking in the cash this year with the $25+ admission prices.

Anyways to get back on topic. I would love a Wind Seeker. It has high capacity, very nice views of the lake and park, and its something new, kinda. I would LOVE CP to utilize the beach and lakefront by Wicked Twister. A boardwalk/peir would suffice. It brings a whole nother demension to Cedar Point and more options to expand. Im excited no matter what happens next Tuesday.

But my question is... are we for certain that the new ride will go in that area? CP might throw a curveball at us and place it by MF on the Frontier Trail (opposite side of STR). Which brings me to my next question. How long does Thunder Canyon have left? Thats a good size of land over there for something... idk a wooden roller coaster? Think about it. Wood, Western theme, Frontier Trail...

I see Cedar Point demolishing Snake River Falls before Thunder Canyon. The main reason being, Thunder Canyon has proven to be successful since its been open. Snake River Falls has always been a walk on (for the surprising exception of this year) for the past 5 years. There is some land back in the area by Millennium Force, but I don't see Cedar Point adding anything else to the Frontier areas of the park for a while; the reason being that is the only spot (exception of 2008) that has been mainly focused on in the last 5 years.

Personally, I strongly dislike the are in the front section of the park. It is dull, lacks night life, and really lacks theme of any sort. I have been thinking, Cedar Point does their planning 5 years in advance, the Frontier Sections of the park were the main receiver, could we see a total redevelopment of the Wicked Twister Midway? I thought back in 2004 and 2005 that we were going to see a major redevelopment because of the game and maXair additions.

Last edited by coolkid2345,

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

I think CP officials thought that would be enough to make that part of the park more popular. They were wrong. I 100% agree with the new attraction going in that area, I was just curious. Demon Drops removal proves that. CP has something big for us in the next few years.

My predictions for the next 5years(not in order):
Add wooden roller coaster
Add boardwalk(games, restaurant, small rides, shops)
Remove Ocean Motion, Choas, Extreme Sports Stadium, DT
Add 2011 thrill ride
Add small steel coaster

Jason Hammond said:
No one ever said this was delayed. It was Shoot the Rapids that got delayed.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that at least some of the cap ex plans following StR were impacted in some way. CP generally installs a new attraction every season. We know that StR was pushed forward a year, so it's reasonable to assume that what was originally planned for 2010 was similarly pushed forward to next year.

Brandon

^Agreed...but has the economy really picked back up? Is attendance that much better this year?

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Based on what we've heard in interviews and such, the pushing forward of cap ex plans sounds like it was limited to only one year.

Brandon

Joe2899 said:
i can not wait till Tuesday so it can kill the starflyer or swing ride rumors

Or the more likely scenario....confirm them.

Goodbye MrScott

John

No, John. If you stick your fingers in your ears and scream and cry loud enough, the obvious cannot enter.

Sadly, sticking one's fingers in their ears doesn't prevent garbage from escaping...

Brandon

djDaemon said:
It's perfectly reasonable to assume that at least some of the cap ex plans following StR were impacted in some way.

I never said they weren't. But, Tim Seydell said that 2011's ride has been delayed for a year or 2. No one knows that for sure. That's all I'm saying. The only thing we know for sure (because the park told us) is that STR got delayed a year.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

CPboy77 said:
August 24th!

To expand on what CPboy77 said. I got an e-mail saying the announcement will be at 2pm on Facebook. Followed up by the PR Newswire distribution at 2:30pm.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

SuperSonicGoalie said:
...a very good wood coaster could be installed for $10,000,000...

That's not likely. Sure, Renegade at Valleyfair! cost a mere $8,500,000, but it has a capacity of 850 pph, which simply isn't enough for a park like CP. So, the coaster would need to be longer, or be a dueling set of coasters in order to get capacity where it needs to be. Both of those options raise the price tag significantly.

As an aside, I find the amount of denial regarding next year's attraction to be quite entertaining. I have a feeling that if a Starflyer-type ride is announced, some of you will just claim that CP is bluffing or something, because, really, it just MUST BE A COASTER!!!1!1!111! ;)

Brandon

Forgive me, but I think claiming that the park adheres to some magical we must build a new coaster every X years is not in any way an intelligent opinion.

Brandon

SuperSonicGoalie said:
JuggaLotus, the four year pattern means that since 1985 (Avalanche Run) through 2007 (2011?) Cedar Point has never gone more than four years without a new roller coaster.

And they only went 4 years between coasters once. So you're creating a "pattern" based on one piece of data.

Goodbye MrScott

John

JuggaLotus said:
...you're creating a "pattern" based on one piece of data.

And a tainted data set. The "coaster wars" was a time of unprecedented coaster construction. As such, the frequency of installations during that period is not representative of any trend, real or imagined.

So, ignore their coaster installation frequency from Raptor to TTD, then calculate how often they install new coasters, and you'll have a more accurate trend (which still won't be accurate at all, by the way).

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

And prior to Maverick, they had never* gone more than 3 years. So what's your point?

* - never being a relative term that ignores anything beyond the last 25 years.

Last edited by JuggaLotus,

Goodbye MrScott

John

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service