Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

So what do you guys think this Son of a B---- is going to be? I agree with those that say if it were a coaster we would have seen more work done by now. Im going with a flat of some sort. I hope Im wrong though:)

I want an Intimin Prefab but know its not going to happen. El Toro kicks major butt and is the only reason I would go back to that dump we call Six Flags Great Adventure.

There's already one SOB in the amusement park industry, and that one SOB is enough. ;)

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

^lmao good one!

Lance has started calling Canada's Wonderland 2011 attraction "Stratosoar/future expanison".

He also mentions the mondial design for CP.

I can't imagine both CP and CW getting a Star Flyer.

Kyle2154 said:
Lance has started calling Canada's Wonderland 2011 attraction "Stratosoar/future expanison".

He also mentions the mondial design for CP.

I can't imagine both CP and CW getting a Star Flyer.

So he's basically summarized the past 2 days of discussion here as his own original thought.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I saw it on Screamscape so it must be true! Haha just kidding.

These arguments are all the same...

Crowd: Coaster! Coaster! Coaster!

Person #1: But what about all these quotes?

Crowd: Huh? Coaster! Coaster! Coaster!

Person #2: What about these clues?

Person #3: The footprint seems kind of small

SuperSonicGoalie, it's kind of annoying to read your posts in a quote format...

Ride on, my friends!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/TopThrillCedarPoint

SuperSonicGoalie said:

Kyle2154 said:
These arguments are all the same...

Person #1: But what about all these quotes?

Crowd: Huh? Coaster! Coaster! Coaster!

Person #2: What about these clues?

Person #3: The footprint seems kind of small

Do we know the footprint for sure?

That's exactly my point. No, we don't. But it "seems" to be small and all of the other clues "seem" to be pointing in the same direction.

SuperSonicGoalie said:
What clues last year pointed to a flume.

None, at least early on. There were rumors that pointed to a flume, which is what I said:

djDaemon said:
Last year, the rumors consistently pointed toward a flume...

I also do not understand the argument that coasters have not bumped up attendance. Attendance does not happen in a vaccum and one ride regardless of what it is will do little to increase/decrease attendance in a given year. But if your argument is that the strategy of the past 25 years has not worked, are you also then saying that a Starflyer will give the park the bump in attendance it is looking for?

Building an attraction like Skyhawk costs around $6 million. Building a coaster costs 2 to 4 times as much. Amusement parks need to keep installing attractions to maintain attendance. So, if achieving that goal can be done by spending less, it makes sense to do so.

I cannot imagine the Starflyer being a very popular ride.

Of course you can't. After all, it's not a coaster, so it will suck. Right? :)

It also strikes me as a bit of a "one-trick-pony."

You mean like Dragster? Or Power Tower? Or Skyhawk? Or any number of other attractions that could fit that category?

It's only thrilling feature is its height.

You mean like Dragster? Or Power Tower? Or Skyhawk?

Otherwise all you have is a Wave Swinger.

Take away the height from Dragster, and all you have is a bunny hill. Take away the height from Skyhawk, and all you have is a swing. Take away the height from Power Tower, and all you have is a shorter Demon Drop.

It does not seem to fit CP's last couple thrill rides like maXair and Skyhawk which combine airtime, speed, and height.

Which is all the more reason to install one. We call that "variety".

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

SuperSonicGoalie said:
Then we are on the same page. All I am saying is we don't know anything for sure; nothing can be ruled out.

Actually, I think it is quite easy to rule things out. It's just not easy to pin-point specifically what it will be.

A coaster, due to the evidence at this point, can quite easily be ruled out. However that doesn't mean that 2011 is specifically a Star Flyer, or specifically going in OM's spot, or specifically anything else. But I'm pretty sure based on what has been said by park executives, and released via the blog and facebook, that we will not be seeing a coaster.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I was at the park last night, and I noticed that there is a small stage set up in front of the Extreme Sports Stadium. Is there a regular season use for this stage that I don't know about? Or is it prepping for a Halloweekends show?

Yea, that's been there all season now. I think it was there for a short time last year as well.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My daughter and I took a lap on Ocean Motion last night, just to make sure we got a ride in this, its apparently final season. It was funny. The ride op seated us quite congenially. Then her smile turned to a glare when I mentioned the rumor that OM is almost gone.

I will say this: though its setting and ride theming are quite pleasant, I won't miss the ride experience compared to other swinging boats I've been on. It took an unusually large number of assists from the wheel to get the boat up to anything approaching 'floating' altitude. Then, without even a single free swing, it began decelerating. Crummy.

Where are the forthcoming clues on Facebook? Must be they are stalling for some reason.

Stalling? That would imply they've missed some scheduled date to release another clue. And I doubt that's happened.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I agree Ensign. I have never loved the overall ride experience on OM, but I do like swinging ships.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Yeah, OM is simply not very good for its class. I won't miss its removal the way I did, say, White Water Landing. Or even Schwabinchen.

JuggaLotus said:
Stalling? That would imply they've missed some scheduled date to release another clue. And I doubt that's happened.

That all depends on who the clue was designed by. :)

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Ensign Smith said:
My daughter and I took a lap on Ocean Motion last night, just to make sure we got a ride in this, its apparently final season.

Well, we all thought Demon Drop's last season would be 2005. And it was here until 2009. I'm not saying it's staying. But, as most of us are aware, the park plans it's major attractions as many as 5 years in advance. So, if next years attraction has been known for 4 +/- years now, then maybe the Chaos and Ocean Motion locations have nothing to do with the 2011 attraction at all. Chaos has been for sale since last year and Wave swinger for just a little while now. Maybe we're just seeing the beginning of a mulit-year project to revamp this entire midway.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service