BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

It actually does look like a place that you would take your car to get worked on. I guess that fits the theme?

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Think I'll keep driving over to Vermilion's QS&L. Nicer to look at, nicer to look out from.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

So the exterior of the building affects the quality of the food?

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

No, it doesn't. Just something else to complain about.

But the one in Vermillion though 😍

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

The exterior (or interior) doesn't affect the quality of the food, but it can affect the overall experience.

Why drive all the way out to Vermillion when you can get the same food only about 2 minutes away? That doesn't make any sense to me. I was just at the new location this weekend and I found the food to be great, the atmosphere was like a typical QSL with car and motorcycle themes. And my seat was right next to the water, if the outdoor seating was open, I would've requested a seat out there.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

If I'm in Sandusky for the weekend, I wouldn't drive to Vermillion either. But I was referring to the pic noggin posted. That building and the placement is beautiful for any restaurant they put there.

Well, I don't own a car, so when I have a rental, I'm looking for excuses to drive; I enjoy the drive along the lake over to Vermillion; I enjoy the Vermillion location, surrounded on three sides with water and boats.

Dining out isn't just about the food for me, especially on vacation; it's also about the experience.

Last edited by noggin,

That Vermilion Quaker Steak and Lube was originally the famous McGarvey's restaurant which was a boat drive-in featuring the same beautiful setting and view. It was a destination for folks with boats all along the north shore, and they could go there and have dinner on their boats. There was also a great, kitschy lounge with a nautical theme. I was born in Sandusky in the early 50's and my parents spoke often of great times they had there. I think it finally closed around 2000, and I didn't know until now what it had become. I may go out there myself. Noggin's right, it's a beautiful drive.

The restaurant in Sandusky looks about the same as every other QS&L, just taller.

I always figured the Vermillion location wasn't custom built for Quaker Steak. Thanks for a little history on the location.

Given the opportunity, I'll always go for side roads rather than interstates. My preferred route from Chicago to Cedar Point is Route 6 through Indiana and Ohio.

The view from inside the building or on the patio is great. The fact that the building is boxy should not affect the experience one bit. Matter of fact, I heard they were going to dredge the lagoon by QS&L and Castaway Bay, that should bring a nice number of boats to the QS&L dock.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

RCMAC said:

That Vermilion Quaker Steak and Lube was originally the famous McGarvey's restaurant which was a boat drive-in featuring the same beautiful setting and view....... I think it finally closed around 2000, and I didn't know until now what it had become.

Actually, the QS&L building in Vermillion was custom built for a restaurant called Red Clay in the same location that was McGarvey's. The original McGarvey's building was razed to make way for Red Clay.

Can you get a boat to that dock? I didn't think that the water had been deep enough for many years.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

You actually can if you hug the red buoy where the cut out is that connects the lagoon to the rest of Pipe Creak and Castaway Bay Marina. Then head straight for the right edge of the dock. Make a turn to the left just before the dock and tie up. There is an obstruction in the center of the lagoon that you don't want to hit, but you will miss it on the course I described. It works for a typical power boat with a 3.5' to 4' draft. I was there a few times over the last few years, but I know a lot of people who don't want to attempt it. It is doable if you are careful where you go.

If they do dredge the lagoon I think it will be a win for them as it used to be a popular spot to visit by boat back in the day when it was Shooters and JJ Muskies. It can be that again, especially if they have a happening bar on the deck with some music.

Last edited by Pete,

Nothing beats the original QS&L, which is just a short drive for me across the state line in Sharon, PA. :)

Actually, a lot beats that - but none of the other QSL's do. :)

Yeah, I was just refering to the comparison of other locations in the chain. There's definately other places I'd rather eat than QS&L!

Kylepark, that's my favorite location too. I'm going to assume you're close to Vienna or Brookfield OH

Pretty close, 10 miles southwest of Youngstown.

Awesome. Howland here. Just a straight shot down old 82 and I'm there.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service