announcement date 8/18/15

Well whether or not it's a Dive coaster or not, I hope they leave Cadillac Cars alone. That's a classic!

I don't think this leak is that big of a deal to the park. I remember thinking they would be upset about the GateKeeper information leak, but they weren't.

Consider also that we already pretty much knew where the ride was going, what the name was, what the ride type was, and what the general layout might be. This really just provides confirmation with a tad more info like the logo.

I would expect the full contents of the app to be online before the announcement date in the form of pictures and video.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

(From the VR app) POV Video

Last edited by InfiniteGs,

A couple things stick out to me from the POV video:

1. I don't really like having only one element before the mid course break run, it just seems to go very quickly.

2. This basically confirms no tunnel or splash element, which is a shame.

3. No silver/grey paint on the bottom of the track, so it'll be just orange/brown and blue, and I for one think the color scheme, although not optimal given the name, looks pretty good.

4. NoLimits 2 has fantastic physics, so I think it's fair to judge this based on the video: It looks like the coaster will be navigating the elements at an decent speed to give it some force. The airtime hill near the end looks like it could actually have some nice pop similar to Maverick's second one, which is always a welcome thing especially after Gatekeeper's camelback was basically airtime-less. (In my opinion the main ride missing in Cedar Point's coaster arsenal is a coaster with a ton of airtime hills. I know I know, we have Magnum and Blue Streak, but I'm looking for some nice parabolic curves with comfortable floater airtime, something that RMC does a fantastic job of [cough cough Mean Streak's future please]).

Last edited by TTD6262,

The most dangerous enemy is the one you don't know you have.

TTD 120mph said:

... did they request that B&M manufacture a bunch of dive coaster track to throw us off?

I'm going to draw a line here. Paying to have B&M manufacture track that would not be used in order to throw off dozens of coaster enthusiasts? No. That would not happen.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

I'm pretty sure TTD 120mph knows that they weren't going to do that and was using sarcasm to show how unlikely the previous claims were...

Last edited by TTD6262,

The most dangerous enemy is the one you don't know you have.

Yea, that was definitely sarcasm. Just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the matter.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Some thoughts:

1.) We don't need this coaster. It's a waste of great real estate, it's unoriginal, predictable. I can understand why some enthusiasts get frustrated when there are other parks in the chain this would've been a better fit at.

2.) as a father who spent three days at Hotel Breakers this summer and who lives 20 minutes from Disney, I would've been more excited about a family coaster like Firechaser Express at Dollywood. The park has the big thrillers- why add another--- time to broaden the appeal.

3.) the park keeps screaming "family" and wanting to build things the entire family can enjoy, yet we get this very Kizel-esque expansion. Doesn't make sense.

Positives:

1.) hoping to see how the area interacts with the Marina Gate. See Sheikra (Tunnel, splashdown, etc)

2.) The ride is adding to the coaster count and solidifying it as the ultimate destination for coasters. We really have every type you can think of.

3.) the coaster isn't really taking up that much space, and hopefully is the last mega coaster we get for awhile. Please spend ten years adding family friendly, innovative attractions--- watch Dollywood.

4.) hoping for light theming

Last edited by Tilt-a-Whirl,

Here's hoping that up next is Mean Streak being bulldozed and replaced with something like Dollywood's Lightning Rod. I won't deny that this B&M might be a very marketable and successful ride for CP and I am excited to ride it, but it will probably have a 54" height requirement so it's not a family ride in the slightest and it just looks kind of uninspired and unoriginal compared to some of the other stuff being built lately so it's not going to get a huge buzz from enthusiasts. On the positive side, it will likely be another reliable ride with big capacity so it will spread out the crowds even better than

-Matt

I couldn't agree with Tilt-a-Whirl's post anymore. You can count me in on the camp that thinks this coaster isn't totally "needed." I mean GateKeeper just opened a few years ago, the "new" roller coaster Rougarou opened last year and the park did market Pipe Scream as a new coaster. Is the park struggling to bring in guests already? It just seems a bit too soon for a giant new B&M coaster. It feels like we're back to the Kinzel era because we're about to have a new coaster in some way, shape or form in four consecutive years. It'll be a nice addition, but I believe the park should focus their attention elsewhere.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Tilt-a-Whirl said:

... it's unoriginal, predictable. I can understand why some enthusiasts get frustrated when there are other parks in the chain this would've been a better fit at.

It's also a type of coaster that's currently at just two parks in the US, neither of which are in Cedar Point's main markets. It brings a new type of product to those markets. To me, it makes good business sense.

... as a father who spent three days at Hotel Breakers this summer and who lives 20 minutes from Disney, I would've been more excited about a family coaster like Firechaser Express at Dollywood. The park has the big thrillers ...time to broaden the appeal.

... the park keeps screaming "family" and wanting to build things the entire family can enjoy, yet we get this very Kizel-esque expansion.

I operate on the base assumption that Cedar Fair (like any well-managed company) introduces new products based, in part, on extensive research of its demographic markets. Valravn (assuming that is what's coming) may be joining the line-up to appeal to one part of the park's market; 2017's addition(s) may be aimed at a different part of the market.

The company is playing a long game, with new additions in place or under consideration for several years out.

It seems likely that an interactive (and family with small children-friendly) dark ride is coming to Cedar Point at some point, given the Amusement Dark trademark and associated logo. Not all families go to amusement parks to ride coasters together.

The ride is adding to the coaster count and solidifying [the park] as the ultimate destination for coasters. We really have every type you can think of.

I couldn't help but notice the nice little "Cedar Point Roller Coaster Capitol of the World" logo that's at the bottom of that screen capture of the Valravn app's start page.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

If there's no midway interaction, scenery, tunnels, splashdowns, theming, etc, then what good is a dive coaster? At this point, I'm just crossing my fingers CP adds at least one of those elements, otherwise it will just be another steel coaster.

I'm sure there will be other park improvements announced with this like revamping the Bluestreak midway, or adding things to other parts of the park as well. Those probably won't be announced until half way through the off season though, like the Wicked Twister midway & Sweet Spot additions.

I seen a video on youtube that someone did on Valravan . Looks pretty nice but, I know its not a clue to the announcement. I just hope they are working on getting the Golden Ticket Award back. Would a dive coaster do that ? Dollywoods new coaster looks like it will be great from what I seen built along the hillsides. Maybe the annoucement will layout more than just one ride. Everyone wants Mean Streak torn down or refitted, so Im sure its days are in the eyes of the coaster folks. Yes, CP could use somemore family rides in general. I seen a awesome ride at this yrs Ohio State Fair called MoonRaker. Fireball seemed to be doing alot of business as well. To me the saying its all coming down sounds like them telling what will be cleared and or rebuilt, or newly built. Its CP so, its more likely a record breaker no matter what. Does the annoucement w the number of days have a clue ? Remember they used numbers in announcing the remake of Mantis.

I bet Tony Clark is getting a real good laugh right now.

Yeah, but, they get a lot of laughs reading everyones guessing game. Maybe add calling Miss Cleo psychic lines to get the real answer. Now, thats a laugh.

InfiniteGs said:
Members of the media received this this morning. Notice the crown at the top of the box is the same as the crown in the logo. ALSO notice the box is a dodo case that is to be used with the app as a VR headset. ALSO ALSO notice the Cedar Point banner is the same as the on in the logo.

Well put the box together and see what it looks like and post.

Some thoughts under the assumption this is the actual leaked layout and not a red herring:

1. We are assuming that the leaked memo plans were the final stats for this coaster. I think we should all remember that most coasters go through numerous design changes and revisions. Could explain the 3 inversions compared to four.
  2. This is just a track layout, additions like splash downs, tunnels, midway/entrance interaction could all still be in the final product and not shown in the layout.
  3. The VR looks very rough, I'm hoping they have better video on the 18th. Or they've really taken a step back in that department.
  4. The brown and blue paint scheme look very nice in my opinion.

Overall, if this is the real layout I think it will be a winner for the park. Remember the park needs to cater to 3 million plus annual guests not the few thousand coaster enthusiasts world wide. I have personally ridden 3 dive coasters and I enjoy them all. I think any dive coaster will be a great addition to the park, a people eater since its B&M and hopefully that'll reduce the lines at MF and Maverick. Of course I really don't see Maverick's lines reducing much until something is done w Mean Streak in that back corner. ;)

Just to reiterate, the graphics of the VR point-of-view are going to look very rough compared to the normal ones we see. That is because it is NOT pre-rendered. It is being rendered in real time, using your phone or tablet's processor. If you look to the left, it has to render what is to the left, etc. It is a dynamic POV.

For the typical video renders we see, I would imagine there is hours and hours of processing time to create them in high quality. Your phone just can't do that in real time.

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

If and when Mean Strak is dealt with...How or what could you do to top the Beast at Kings Island ? Isnt it still the record holder in someway ? Alot of people calling for MS end, just like remaking Mantis.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service