The Rumors

CEDAR POINT: Here is Mantis!

ENTHUSIASTS: BOOOOO! MAKE IT FLOORLESS! IT'S SO EASY!

CEDAR POINT: No, it's not that easy.

ENTHUSIASTS:

CEDAR POINT: Fine. There.

ENTHUSIASTS: BOOOO!!!! THE RESTRAINTS AREN'T RIGHT@!$#@!

CEDAR POINT: The restraints are fine for what it is.

ENTHUSIASTS:

CEDAR POINT:

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

^ Loved your simpsons gifs. To comment about the 3 across idea, has B&M ever done a 3 across train? I feel like the trains are wide enough to try to retrofit it without breaking the bank. Also has B&M ever done vest restraints for any older model coaster?

I have never ridden Banshee a KI but I assume that train must be wider than Raptor? Unlikely Raptir will ever see a harness change. But I do love that coaster.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

The differences in trains sounds like a great question for Rideman. I believe a similar discussion about restraints happened here around the time of Banshee's debut, and it was not as simple as "well, let's just put these on here", much like the Rougarou idea.

Here is the look we got at the newer trains as it was being built.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

The Banshee trains must be quite a bit wider than the Raptor trains. That’s pretty much self evident by the fact that the lap bar assembly on Banshee comes down outboard of your shoulders. That means there is enough space between seats to accommodate both lap bar assemblies and both shoulders, whereas on Raptor (or Rougarou for that matter) you are pretty much rubbing shoulders with the person in the next seat. I have long complained that when B&M designed their trains they seem to have forgotten that most people have arms. This extra few inches between seats is in turn the greatest innovation in their flying, wing, and new-inverted coaster trains.

—Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

^ Rideman, do you know If the track on Banshee is the same width as a ride such as Rougarou? If that's the case, then people are right on here when they said the station would have to be wider. Also Kevin J, do you think B&M could still use the same chasis design for Rougarou, but just set up the seating three-across? I'm talking about same trains that Rougarou already uses. Please respond guys.

Don't wana waste too much $$ on the Rou.
A quick fix with Duck Tape and pool noodles should take a little sting out of the headbanging.

Shawn,

More or less what Uncle Steve said. Seeing as how there are no 3-seat-across B & M trains floating around, this would be a custom job, and like any other custom job, that would come at a price.

There is no reason to assume the ride is going anywhere anytime soon, but on the same token I would assume that it is one of those rides that the park would be willing to part ways with; if something better came along. And for that reason alone, I can't imagine the park investing more in the ride than they already have.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Shawn Meyer said:

^ Rideman, do you know If the track on Banshee is the same width as a ride such as Rougarou? If that's the case, then people are right on here when they said the station would have to be wider. Also Kevin J, do you think B&M could still use the same chasis design for Rougarou, but just set up the seating three-across? I'm talking about same trains that Rougarou already uses. Please respond guys.

The track on Banshee is about the same width as the track on Gatekeeper which I do believe is slightly wider than the older B&M track like Raptor and Rougarou. Not only is the station not wide enough (which could be easily modified) but the those wider trains with more room won't fit the narrow track. It would take a complete re-track like the Hulk to accommodate the trains.

Alright guys, for now I'll relax with the Rougarou rumor I heard. Today however, Tony Clark from his twitter page reported something about Wicked Twister being on the way out. It was actually reported from CP rundown.

Rumor Mill launching in 3...2...1...

What Shawn is eluding to is the following:

Tony Clark Tweeted

Weekends are Wicked… They all have to end sometime. Make the best of it!

(along with a cute video mash-up of Wicked Twister)

Personally, I think he is simply saying make the most of each weekend, because they go all too quickly.

Or maybe he means The Weeknd is retiring!

Or maybe...nah.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

He clearly means they are finally going to complete the circuit, join each spire with a section of track. And they will finally add the second train. This is why they completed the installation of the buckets on Giant Wheel so quickly this season, to have time for this project.

As for Rougarou I believe the bigger concern or expense would be the clearance envelopes around all those supports. Millennium Force had one support modified to adjust the clearances. IF vest style restraints would push the outside seats an extra 6-12" or more further out than the previous trains than there could be a whole bunch of supports that would need to be modified, changed, adjusted, etc.

As for the tweet? WT has been on the rumored chopping block since CGA released a presentation with it pictured. 4-5 years now? It's possible. But it is also very possible and very likely that it's a troll job.

However, WT's footprint, along with the old stadium, would make for a very interesting plot of land for a ride that may use a vertical lift... ;) Or a classic out and back beach front woodie!

Last edited by WolfBobs,

Shawn Meyer said:

Alright guys, for now I'll relax with the Rougarou rumor I heard. Today however, Tony Clark from his twitter page reported something about Wicked Twister being on the way out. It was actually reported from CP rundown.

That’s not really quite what he said.

Tony for some reason has been tweeting haiku poems. I think he was trying to showcase that WT has been testing, and he was trying to fill his poem with the proper haiku syllables. Nothing more or less to it in my opinion.

These WT removal rumors every year are getting old. We all know it is Gemini that will be getting the boot 😉

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

I'm not sure about the current crop of B&M coasters. But "back in the day" someone went after some B&M track with a tape measure (not me!) and determined that all their track types (inverted, stand-up, and sit-down loopers) used more or less identical track, with the rails 48" on center. I think the wider coaster designs (wing and dive) may use a wider track but I am not sure of that, and I doubt that Banshee is different from Raptor in terms of gauge...but I have nothing to back that up.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Shawn, you definitely made a leap about WT being on the way out from that tweet. Personally, I enjoy WT and would be bummed to see it go. It does seem as though they have been clearing the view of the lake for quite some time now so I guess it's possible. I just don't understand why something *has* to go to put in a new ride. It seems as though the mob mentality of "tear it down" is unnecessary. Leave 'em there. Build more, don't replace.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I recently watched a YouTube video of the last Winter Chill Out. The person in the video said that during a Q&A session, somebody asked about WT being removed and was told that it isn't going anywhere (at least for now).

Is there anybody here who attended that Q&A who could confirm/deny?

Could WT be moving back to where classic cars is in frontier town (Like the giant wheel did for MF) to open up space for the Rumored Gertslauer?

vwhoward said:

I just don't understand why something *has* to go to put in a new ride.

Because the maintenance budget is not infinite.

Brandon

scott sarah said:

Could WT be moving back to where classic cars is in frontier town (Like the giant wheel did for MF) to open up space for the Rumored Gertslauer?

Not that this idea isn't possible, I would give it a big no. There is just no value added.

If CF was going to foot the bill to disassemble and reassemble a coaster, it will more than likely go to a new park so it can be billed as a "new" attraction. It just doesn't make financial sense to relocate roller coasters in-park unless it's a small family coaster or an already portable model. Moving large coasters, even small ones the size of WT would be a huge expense and undertaking.

Flat rides, even Ferris wheels are more often times than not portable models on permanent foundations and relatively easy to move. Even the Giant Wheel is partially disassembled every off season.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service