The Rumors

Monday, May 3, 2021 12:56 PM
vwhoward's avatar

I understand that. But I also don't know what the maintenance budget is. All of these people screaming to remove rides just amazes me. That is all. I don't want family oriented coasters to come out for record breakers all the time either.


Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

+1Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 1:36 PM

^^None of us here know what the budget is or what formulas are used to determine when a ride has met the end of it's useful life. Obviously it's just not age, cause rides like Gemini, Corkscrew, and Mine Ride are still around compared to the age of WT. BUT I would bet a dollar WT has a much higher cost to keep running.

At the end of the day, no ride is 100% forever. Every ride has a finite life cycle. We will one day be discussing the removal or Magnum or Millennium Force.

Also, IF WT is relocated, it could see a major overhaul to a more efficient LSM launch.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop.. or don't. I still think Tony was dropping a troll job.

+1Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 6:11 PM
GL2CP's avatar

WT and TTD were RCT style additions. The era when CP just wanted to add coasters as quickly as possible and not care much where they are placed just to reach their objective. Its time to move on. Lets make CP impulse free again.


First ride; Magnum 1994

+2Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 6:39 PM

Did you just make that up?

+1Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 9:39 PM
vwhoward's avatar

^^No way...love WT


Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

+1Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 10:30 PM

Okay, for arguments sake, could someone tell me, realistically, what would replace WT if it was ever removed that wouldn’t detract away from the park trying to open up views of the beach and lake?

+1Loading
Monday, May 3, 2021 11:41 PM

A modern Gerstlauer with the lighting package would fit like a glove there, extending down to Windseeker. HangTime looks amazing at night. The vibe would be outstanding.


CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (28 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (182 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Raptor 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. GateKeeper 7. Valravn 8. Rougarou 9. Magnum XL 200 10. Gemini

+5Loading
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 1:29 PM

GL2CP said:

...Its time to move on. Lets make CP impulse free again.

Simply put...no.

WT is a solid ride, and adds to the unique collection of coasters. It really looks good on the Lake Erie skyline, and is a good fit for the area. At least impulse coasters didn’t turn into the Vekoma Boomerangs and SLCs in the Six Flags chains.

The one funny thing about the impulse coasters in the US are that none of them operate how they were designed to operate now. They all have been modified in some way.

+4Loading
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 3:28 PM

TwistedWicker77 said:

The one funny thing about the impulse coasters in the US are that none of them operate how they were designed to operate now. They all have been modified in some way.

This is a good thing? I would say a ride or ride style that all installations needed modification is not a pro in the "should it stay or should it go" debate.

Personally, I would like it to stay... for now. I think other rides (personal opinion) such as Corkscrew or the Mine Ride would make for better candidates to replace in terms of improving the overall quality of the line up. But I wouldn't be surprised if WT is on the outs soon.

+1Loading
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 5:01 PM

Corkscrew: the midway view of the corkscrews is one of the iconic views of CP.

Mine Ride is a great transitional ride for the young ones after they mastered Jr.Gemini/Wilderness Run.


number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10 Running Total-480 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

+2Loading
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:30 PM

^The Corkscrew can be replaced with... a corkscrew. Or it can stay as a decoration like Alton Towers did with theirs. Either way, I won't be surprised when it's removed.

Mine Ride, I agree. But I personally would love to see it replaced with a modern mine ride, something like Seven Dwarfs at Disney (obviously not to that level of theming). But a fun, new, modern ride, capable of 3 train op with modern mine train trains with comfortable restraints and something that can lower the height requirement even more. Seven Dwarfs can accommodate riders as short as 38" 10 inches less than Cedar Creek, Iron Dragon, Gemini, etc. that would be huge for the family demographics in the park. Not every coaster needs to be a record breaker. I think it would be great if the park started investing in more rides that accommodate even more kids and families and still provide a fun experience.

+5Loading
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 11:18 PM

WolfBobs said:

TwistedWicker77 said:

The one funny thing about the impulse coasters in the US are that none of them operate how they were designed to operate now. They all have been modified in some way.

This is a good thing? I would say a ride or ride style that all installations needed modification is not a pro in the "should it stay or should it go" debate.

Personally, I would like it to stay... for now. I think other rides (personal opinion) such as Corkscrew or the Mine Ride would make for better candidates to replace in terms of improving the overall quality of the line up. But I wouldn't be surprised if WT is on the outs soon.

If you read my post that you quoted, I said “The one funny thing...” NOT “the one good thing...”.

Last edited by TwistedWicker77, Tuesday, May 4, 2021 11:19 PM
+2Loading
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 8:58 AM
djDaemon's avatar

WolfBobs said:

I think it would be great if the park started investing in more rides that accommodate even more kids and families and still provide a fun experience.

Agreed. The most pressing need at CP in my opinion is a ride that can be enjoyed by the whole family. I've mentioned it before, but riding Race For Your Life Charlie Brown at KI with our then-3.5 year old remains one of our fondest amusement park memories, because it was something we all enjoyed together.

Most of the things that a parent and young child can ride together at CP are either spinning rides or rides that adults more or less tolerate in order to ride with their kid.

Last edited by djDaemon, Wednesday, May 5, 2021 8:58 AM

Brandon

+7Loading
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 12:59 PM

Thinking about the bigger picture for Cedar Point, since 2018’s renovation on Mean Streak to Steel Vengeance, I believe they have been targeting families. This assumes that they believe Steel Vengeance is an amazing coaster and should be able to keep the coaster community satisfied for a period of time. Think of the recent additions since then; Forbidden Frontier, Snake River Expedition, Monster Jam experience, the 150 Anniversary Parade. Cedar Point ALREADY has the best lineup of roller coasters, and now it's time to cater to the families, and entertainment.

With that being said, IF Wicked Twister were to be removed (which I find unnecessary) they should/would but a large entertainment stage. They currently have a stage infront of Iron Dragon, but it's in such an awkward location because people are trying to walk through to and from Millennium Force. There also isn't much seating available. I believe the could do something special in the area between Wicked Twister and Windseeker. It's nice because it's closeer to the parks entrance and closer to the hotel and it would be such a nice back drop being able to see the lake.

Thoughts??


1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Millennium Force 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. Gate Keeper 6. Valravn 7. Raptor 8. Magnum 9. Gemini 10. Wicked Twister 11. Rougaru 12. Blue Streak 13. Cedar Creek Mine Ride 14. Iron Dragon 15. Corkscrew 16. Pipescream 17. Woodstock Express 18. Wilderness Run
10.

+1Loading
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 1:15 PM
Kevinj's avatar

djDaemon said:

The most pressing need at CP in my opinion is a ride that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

Oh, Brandon. This is something we have been talking about here at Pointbuzz for a long time...

Last edited by Kevinj, Wednesday, May 5, 2021 1:15 PM

Promoter of fog.

+9Loading
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 1:29 PM
Aaronosmer's avatar

Yeah and on that topic.... I'm still bitter (even though it's been several years now) about the increased height requirement on Iron Dragon. Change it back, please!

Sincerely,
All the parents with kids stuck between 46" and 48"

+6Loading
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 8:44 PM

Uncle Steve said:

Don't wana waste too much $$ on the Rou.
A quick fix with Duck Tape and pool noodles should take a little sting out of the headbanging.

Perhaps someone could make pool noodle halos to wear while riding.

Chris

+2Loading
Thursday, May 6, 2021 9:40 PM

Uncle Steve said:

“Don't wana waste too much $$ on the Rou.
A quick fix with Duck Tape and pool noodles should take a little sting out of the headbanging.”

Y’all laugh... But remember how gaga everyone went when they wrapped the lapbars on Magnum with pool noodles.

Last edited by Shane Denmark, Thursday, May 6, 2021 9:40 PM
But then again, what do I know?
+1Loading
Thursday, May 6, 2021 9:41 PM
DRE420's avatar

WolfBobs said:

^The Corkscrew can be replaced with... a corkscrew. Or it can stay as a decoration like Alton Towers did with theirs. Either way, I won't be surprised when it's removed.

Mine Ride, I agree. But I personally would love to see it replaced with a modern mine ride, something like Seven Dwarfs at Disney (obviously not to that level of theming). But a fun, new, modern ride, capable of 3 train op with modern mine train trains with comfortable restraints and something that can lower the height requirement even more. Seven Dwarfs can accommodate riders as short as 38" 10 inches less than Cedar Creek, Iron Dragon, Gemini, etc. that would be huge for the family demographics in the park. Not every coaster needs to be a record breaker. I think it would be great if the park started investing in more rides that accommodate even more kids and families and still provide a fun experience.

I think a coaster like Firechaser Express at Dollywood fits the bill perfectly. My wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly as did our 8 year old daughter, and it seemed to be quite popular among families.

+5Loading
Thursday, May 6, 2021 10:15 PM
Kevinj's avatar

Outside of Disney (with Disney only having an advantage of insane theming budgets), Firechaser Express is the best family coaster out there; at least in my experience.

If any park is looking to add a family homerun, something similar is a no-brainer. Of course Dollywood followed this with Dragonflier, which is an impressive family machine in its own right.

Last edited by Kevinj, Thursday, May 6, 2021 10:24 PM

Promoter of fog.

+5Loading

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2021, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service