Cedar Point new security checkpoint

Fastlane Plus Pre-Check upcharge new for 2018

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

^^Yes, if you can sell it, why not? lol

They also put this metal detector at the entrance to Lakeside Pavilion (makes sense since some people may enter the park through this gate), but now you can't see the sign. Also, there's a 3 foot fence along the beach side of this area. You can easily sneak contraband through it. Or over it.

New for '18. Taller sign.

Getting into the park wasn't too bad. On Saturday, I went in the Front Gate, and they had the security line moving pretty quickly. Not sure if it was because I had arrived at the park later on in the day, or they were just that speedy. Yesterday, I went in the Marina Gate, and it was moving smoothly there too, but was a little slower (IMO) than the Front Gate. And yes I also noticed that it aliveated the long lines at the gates.

On a side note; (if) they need the metal detector at the Lakeside Pavilion, (maybe) they could remove the awning so that the sign can be seen?

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

But don't you have to get inside the park gates to get to the pavilion? That metal detector there is kind of useless in that case. You should've already been screened.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Thabto said:
But don't you have to get inside the park gates to get to the pavilion? That metal detector there is kind of useless in that case. You should've already been screened.

That's what I thought too. Cause isn't the entrance for Lakeside Pavilion caddy-corner to Planet Snoopy/Windseeker Exit?

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

It appears that the metal detectors are being powered from above, rather than at the bottom. So presumably, that's at least one reason for the structures above them. That's one other item I seemed to dislike, they all have their power cords dangling from the canopy structure above.

Each time I went through the metal detectors this weekend there was no wait to get it so I can't speak to how efficient they were. The first time we went through, they beeped and lit red for both my wife and the women in front of us but the security team said to not worry and just go though. For me, I left everything in my pockets the first time and no beep. The second time it beeped and they just asked if i had my phone on me, I said i did and showed them and they just waved me though. The detector sensitivity seems to still need some work. I noticed that even with no one walking through, the detectors were beeping and was told it's due to the wind vibrating the machines. This is think resulted in toying with the sensitivity over the weekend.

One other item I noted was the cheap plastic card tables being used to search bags. These were tables you could just buy at Menards or the like. After spending the money to provide and build professional looking canopy structures it felt odd to just then throw in some crappy card tables.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

I'm at a loss on this. While I understand they want to make people feel "safe." I just think it really ruins all that hardwork they put in the new gates.

The front gate was suppose to have an open welcome feel, now it's all fenced in at the front...But at least the main CP sign is stil open.

The Marina gate that they spent all that money on last year and DID look great...

now that CP sign that people liked getting pics in front of...no more unless you want a metal fence and a metal detector in your picture.

They really crammed that gate, and the metal detector in that spot, and just killed the beautiful entrance. I wish there was a way to maybe put it on the other side of the street since that's the way the make guest approach now anyways...but that still leaves the issues of the street.

I like that they "Tried" to give it some thought to make them all look nice, but as mentioned above, it seems like it was a very last second thought, and they half did it/thought it at some points (like the welcome signs being blocked.)

I'd be all for these, I guess, if I really felt secure...but as we all know, there is way too many points around the park to get something in.

Tossed my phone/keys in the basket and still set off the detector Sunday. He just asked if I had a belt on and then waved me through. Didn't ask to see the belt. I feel so much safer now.

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

Brian, this is actually the northern entrance to the Pavilion, nearest Hotel Breakers, accessible from outside the park entrance.

The fence they put up at the the Marina entrance looks awful, really messes up the beautiful centerpiece on the gate. I don't know why the need the fence going around the front of the centerpiece, a fence just on the side going up to the side edge would be plenty.

I also found it a little odd that you exit through the same metal detectors that you enter through, at least that is how it is at the marina gate.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

This weekend, Pete, it appeared to be the same exit/entrance at the Front Gate as well. That could be a challenge around noon, when lots of people are still arriving and others try to get to their cars for lunch.

When we left the park on Sunday, out of habit, we were looking for the "exit turnstyles" or some other obvious exit strategy (this was at the front gate where OU Grad is also talking about). We had the same thought. That could be quite chaotic in its current setup with a crowd going both ways.

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

Gosh, I'm feeling so much safer knowing that people setting off alarms are being waved through...

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Rusty said:

When we left the park on Sunday, out of habit, we were looking for the "exit turnstyles" or some other obvious exit strategy (this was at the front gate where OU Grad is also talking about). We had the same thought. That could be quite chaotic in its current setup with a crowd going both ways.

I thought the same thing on Sunday. I exited through the Magnum gate and had to walk through the same detectors I entered through. It wasn't bad as there wasn't anyone entering at the time, but I can see it being a traffic jam on busier days..

2011 - Raptor Ride Photo

Count me in as another in the "confused about where to exit the park" group. Wife and I walked out the Marina gate, stopped, looked at each other, then looked at the security folks and asked, "can we exit over here?" pointing to the side opposite the metal detectors. They replied, "If you want, sure." We went to the gate only to find a pretty heavy duty latch indicating this gate was not meant to be opened regularly by guests. That's when we realized that we were supposed to exit back through the metal detectors. Very odd. I figured there would be a separate exit gate/area.

While there are indeed many things I can give a pass for with being "Opening Weekend." (I definitely agree with I think Pete who said it felt more like a preview weekend.) Things like this i can't give a pass for. I believe these are fundamental operational flaws that should not have existed.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

Jeez - even the TSA and airports have figured out how to let you exit without walking through the metal detectors backwards.

-Matt

The thing about the airports though is that they have a TSA agent guarding the exit so no one sneaks in that way. Perhaps CP felt if they had an exit gate they would have to have an additional person to "guard" the exit. An additional labor cost they didn't want to pay for.

Total speculation but it wouldn't surprise me.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

Oddly enough, I went to Worlds of Fun a couple of weeks ago, and (in addition to a new entrance gate) their new security checkpoints did include an exit next to them. Maybe it was a planning error at CP? Very strange.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service