Water Tower

The emergency backup they are referring to Is water pressure to supply the fire suppression systems.

While it will supply to the rest of system, its main purpose is to make sure sleeping guests do not die from fire, they couldn't care less if you can't flush your toilet in an emergency.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

quickshade said:

Once painting is complete they have to "bleach" the inside of the tank to kill off any bacteria and also excess residue that formed during construction/painting and then they will fill the tower.

Actually they "paint" the inside of water tanks and towers with bees wax. This helps prevent rusting. Other than that, nothing special is done to the tank to prep it. They may fill it and waste it a couple times. Normally when old towers are taken out of service for demo or maint, the amount of 'stuff' found inside is quite nasty! dead birds and such that make it in through the vents over the years. Now days the vents are meshed over and such to help prevent this sort of thing. I've observed 1 tower and 2 tanks be services with fresh bees wax. It comes in about 5 gal buckets and they use rollers to roll it on after they heat it up to make It useable.

Here is what the new water tower looked like yesterday. They removed the things at the top where they hang the tarps from. Looks like they are still doing some work on it. But it appears they aren't doing any more major painting.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Overall nice clean look. But I wish they would have also integrated the lighter blue color that was painted on there at one point. Something slightly more colorful and fun.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

I don't think anyone's asked this yet, but isn't this being built where the Gold Dorms used to be?

I think that is correct.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

According the the CP blog the water tower has a lot of internal work going on right now but they should be filling it in a couple of weeks. Also the old tower will come down at some point but not at any point in the near future.

At the very least, they need to relocate all the equipment off of it first. I assume most of that on there is radio and/or wi-fi and/or cellular antennas.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

I wonder if they will do the space-spiral treatment on it :-)

I wouldn't mind if it fell on corkscrew

[posting a video with profanity is just like posting profanity... don't do it. -J]

Last edited by Jeff,

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Looks like the old tower has been demolished. This video has been circulating on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/gary.fisher.71/videos/1360195354109759

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Dang it! I was hoping to get a petition going to save it....... :(

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Wow, much respect to those workers up there, the one is climbing down the ladder. Don't think I could do that work.

Also, it really amazes me how much work gets done at CP in off seasons.

I worked for a hi rise sign company for about a year and a half. You get used to it. Cutting down old signs and having them hanging and swinging within reach of the basket your in. Knowing that if you screwed up it could kill you or the men you work with. You got to take your nuts with you when you go. It's highly rewarding mentally. Still take pride in the signs I'd taken down or put up. I'd still be doing that type of work if it payed well enough for what you put on the line every day you go to work. Unfortunately I did not work for a respectable employer. I'm sure these guys feel like men. It's better for me though that the product I make, feed/food, is what you smell driving around in the country after they've spread the by-product on their fields. Or you step in dog ****. It's a lot harder to brag about making what eventually becomes crap. But I do get to occasionally climb 100 ft ladders.

Last edited by redsfan,

While there are many things now gone from Cedar Point I get nostalgic over, I'm not going to get too worked up about a water tower. However, in the above linked Facebook post, the comments are already getting pretty funny.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

But the water tower was the last family attraction that the whole family could enjoy together...

My grandpas used to tell me about their grandpas building the water tower back in CP's Heyday, we would ride Thread The Needle for hours and gaze lovingly at that historic water monument made of iron, wood and lead paint.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Think of the memories... the memories....

They had to remove it. It was sinking ;)

It’s being relocated to Dorney.

So that’s why Dorney Park is removing Stinger...

ROUNDABOUND.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service